NCAA is reportedly considering four different college basketball start dates

The NCAA is attempting to avoid replicating college football’s disastrous 2020 return by creating a plan for college basketball months in advance.

CBS Sports reports that the men’s basketball committee and men’s basketball oversight committee will meet separately on Wednesday, followed by a meeting on Thursday between conference commissioners and the NABC. An item near the top of each meeting’s agenda is the start date for the 2020-21 college basketball season. Last week NCAA senior vice president of basketball Dan Gavitt floated out the following four options to conference commissioners.

Option 1

First practices allowed: Sept. 29
First day of season: Nov. 10 (No change to start of season)

Option 2

First practices allowed: Oct. 9
First day of season: Nov. 20

Option 3

First practices allowed: Oct. 14
First day of season: Nov. 25

Option 4

First practices allowed: Oct. 24
First day of season: Dec. 4

Other dates, including a January start date, are still on the table. One source told Matt Norlander that starting the season after campuses are closed for Thanksgiving “has a ton of momentum.” How college campuses react to reopening over the next two weeks will play a significant role in what the NCAA officials ultimately decide is best for basketball.

When will a decision on college basketball be reached? The men’s and women’s oversight committees will meet first, tentatively scheduled for Aug. 31, to come up with a recommendation to give to the Division I Council, who will approve a plan at a Sept. 16 meeting (albeit, a plan that can still be modified before the season begins).

[CBS Sports]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

15 Comments for NCAA is reportedly considering four different college basketball start dates

1. michaelb
    5:29 pm August 24, 2020 Permalink

What’s the advantage/ reason of starting later ?

• satcheluk
      9:09 pm August 24, 2020 Permalink

All of these decisions are being made with too little and constantly changing data. It makes it difficult to assess with any level of confidence and delaying allows you to collect more data to analyze in order to make your risk assessments. Not to mention, if you are sued for negligence, you can point to the fact that you took your time to make a thoughtful decision in good faith rather than rushing in with little regard for everyone’s safety.

• michaelb
      11:32 pm August 24, 2020 Permalink

Ty

• satcheluk
      9:45 am August 25, 2020 Permalink

YW

• Corder
      12:31 am August 25, 2020 Permalink

They have had 6 months to address this situation. How much longer do you need to make an informed decision?

• satcheluk
      9:44 am August 25, 2020 Permalink

The data control all decisions when assessing risk. That data has been coming in for six months, but this is completely new and a virus like this could honestly take years to get a good grasp of. It would be like me, someone who assess risk for a living in the US and primarily in finance, going to the Amazon and trying to give a full climate/environmental risk assessment after collecting data for a week. The data set is too incomplete. I didn’t even make to the rainy season, summer etc. With this virus, how could even a lay person not recognize we haven’t had this virus when most of us are getting sick with colds and flus and our immune systems are compromised in the winter? Next spring, we will have had a full cycle of data to assess and hopefully they will be analyzing the vaccine’s efficacy which will give them more confidence to make decisions.

2. mashman 93
    7:07 pm August 24, 2020 Permalink

Just play the season I don’t care which of the four options you use. College Basketball fans deserve to have a season and the NCAA Tournament and hopefully they play 25-30 regular season games. GO CATS!

• Bluebird
      8:01 pm August 24, 2020 Permalink

Out of curiosity, why do you feel like college basketball fans DESERVE to have a season. I’d love one, don’t get me wrong. I just don’t feel like I’ve done anything in particular to DESERVE one.

• mashman 93
      8:29 pm August 24, 2020 Permalink

It was wiped out and I like college sports. Anything else?

• satcheluk
      9:11 pm August 24, 2020 Permalink

It’s our ever evolving myopic society, in case his answer didn’t make it obvious.

• mashman 93
      9:45 pm August 24, 2020 Permalink

Play nice little buddy I will try and be less selfish so you two snowflakes will be proud of me.

• mashman 93
      9:53 pm August 24, 2020 Permalink

Oh and by the way I am currently going through chemo so I can be myopic if I want so you have a good day sir.

• satcheluk
      9:50 am August 25, 2020 Permalink

I am empathetic and sorry for your condition. No one should have to deal with cancer and you of all people should be able to return the empathy about this illness, which I have. I’m in my 40’s and ran 5 days a week and lifted weights 2x until mid July. Have been to the DR except for annual visit, but now I’ve missed over a month of work and am being treated for pulmonary embolisms due to COVID. So when I co spider my condition, I will do everything I can to promote safety and try to prevent even ignorant and myopic people from getting this debilitating illness. I hope you get better, in every way possible.

• mashman 93
      3:50 pm August 25, 2020 Permalink

Hope you get better as well sir. God bless.

3. John Capilari
    7:40 pm August 24, 2020 Permalink

So, infinite possibilities. Thx for the update.