NCAA: Automatic bids can go to regular season or conference tournament champion

With less than a month until the postseason, the question of how to handle conference tournaments is still up in the air for most leagues due to the pandemic. The NCAA just announced it will let each conference decide how to award their automatic bids, meaning they can either give it to the team that wins the regular season title or the conference tournament. Each league has until Feb. 26 to decide.

Here is the press release:

We’ve yet to get official word that the SEC Tournament is happening, but a week ago, Jon Rothstein cited a source that said it’s on as scheduled with hopes of 20-25% fan attendance. I have a feeling the Power 5 conferences will still hold tournaments for the sake of the almighty dollar, but if the SEC decides to punt and send the regular season champ to Indy, Kentucky’s slim chance of making the Big Dance is gone.

14 Comments for NCAA: Automatic bids can go to regular season or conference tournament champion

1. JT55
    2:15 pm February 12, 2021 Permalink

Who cares. They a garbage team and don’t deserve anything.

• kyle macys socks
      2:30 pm February 12, 2021 Permalink

Um, I care, because I am a fan. If you don’t then feel free to root for another team

• nocode96
      2:37 pm February 12, 2021 Permalink

Hey jt55, guess who else is garbage? This is our effing team and people like you disgust me. It’s one thing to be disappointed in how the team turned out, it’s another to shlt on them like you do. We don’t want or need your garbage takes. Stick it up your azz buddy.

• neat1ky
      3:05 pm February 12, 2021 Permalink

Amen, as a fan it’s not always going to be great and we r 1 of the few teams that it doesn’t happen to often over the course of our history. I remember the year after Rupps Runts, it was disappointing and the one bad yr under Sutton

• Bluehender
      3:36 pm February 12, 2021 Permalink

Looks like everyone here cares except you JT…they’ve been a disappointment, yes, but most of us care and want to see if they can make a little noise.

• UKFanSC
      4:02 pm February 12, 2021 Permalink

I care. Always will. Every year, every game. Now I might scream and cuss at the TV, but it always matters. Those two hours are the biggest of the week; which may be a sad commentary on my life !

• mashman 93
      5:23 pm February 12, 2021 Permalink

I care. GO CATS!!!

• bjtitzandgolf
      9:48 pm February 12, 2021 Permalink

Always negative from this person

2. secrick
    2:32 pm February 12, 2021 Permalink

Yes i care to. Why not have the trnt. Money is the only reason they don’t. Ky is not going to win it but i love watching all the teams. It’s time to move on.

3. BlueBanker18
    2:45 pm February 12, 2021 Permalink

Who wouldn’t love that kind of redemption story? Kentucky claws back from adversity to win the SEC tournament and then makes a deep run in the NCAA tournament as the high caliber team they were predicted to be in the pre-season? It’s a long shot, but I’d love to see it happen.

4. UKFanSC
    3:59 pm February 12, 2021 Permalink

Well sh:t…….I was hoping we could potentially gel and make an improbable run during the SEC tournament. Then secure an NCAA bid, reel off six consecutive victories, and then hang banner number nine. That’s what I was planning on.

5. Swizzle
    4:39 pm February 12, 2021 Permalink

Maybe focus in winning 2 halves in a row, before the dreamers act like 4 games is a possibility.

6. jboy
    5:14 pm February 12, 2021 Permalink

I,m sure all of our potential recruits and opposing coaches are really glad to read the constant bitching and fire Cal talk every day. I get it,s a bad year but don,t act like this is an every year thing. Try to think before repeating the same comments every day.

7. jboy
    5:27 pm February 12, 2021 Permalink

One request ,next year when all you D1 coaches who know everything about program management ,recruiting, in game management, protecting your players from unnecessary abuse ,etc . get your new coaching job be sure to keep us posted .