NCAA approves waiver request for former Ohio State guard DJ Carton

Photo: Justin Casterline/Getty Images

Photo: Justin Casterline/Getty Images

The NCAA has approved yet another waiver request for a transfer, this time for former Ohio State guard DJ Carton.

This week, Carton was granted a waiver to play at Marquette immediately with three years of eligibility remaining.

The news came two months and two days after announcing his transfer from Ohio State to Marquette back on April 15, with his new school officially announcing his immediate eligibility on Wednesday afternoon.

As a freshman last year at Ohio State, Carton played just 20 games before taking a leave of absence from the program on January 30 due to mental health issues.

“After talking to my family, teammates, and coaches I have decided it is best at this time to temporarily step away from the Ohio State basketball program,” Carton said in a statement. “In making this decision I felt it was important to be transparent as to why I’m taking this break. I have been suffering with mental health issues for a couple years.

“I have been going through a lot. I’m disappointed to say I’m not 100% right now. I am not doing my teammates justices if I don’t work on this now.”

After a return home, Carton made his way back to campus in February to take classes, but never rejoined the basketball team.

Following the season, the former Buckeye officially entered the transfer portal on Marcy 19.

Prior to his departure, Carton averaged 10.4 points, 3.0 assists, and 2.3 rebounds in 23.9 minutes per contest.

This marks yet another case of the NCAA approving a case for transfers this offseason, including the likes of Johnny Juzang, Keyshawn Feazell, and Kaosi Ezeagu this offseason. They have also been flexible with waivers for the likes of Arizona State punter Michael Turk, who was able to return to school after going undrafted and unsigned in the 2020 NFL Draft.

While the NCAA makes decisions on a case-by-case basis, it’s becoming quite apparent that they are trying to do right by the student-athletes after such a chaotic and difficult few months due to the coronavirus. To this point, every athlete that has had a legitimate argument with the NCAA has been approved.

The cases may be different, but the results should not be, specifically with Olivier Sarr’s waiver request.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

16 Comments for NCAA approves waiver request for former Ohio State guard DJ Carton

1. lexattorney
    4:35 pm June 18, 2020 Permalink

This will just be more ammunition for Sarr’s civil litigation against Emmert and the NCAA when his request is summarily stamped “DENIED” with no review whatsoever.

2. Wildfelinebeeline
    4:38 pm June 18, 2020 Permalink

Free Olivier!

3. UKFanSC
    4:53 pm June 18, 2020 Permalink

He will be granted his waiver. As has been expected for weeks.

• Bluehender
      5:05 pm June 18, 2020 Permalink

What’s the holdup?

• UKFanSC
      5:45 pm June 18, 2020 Permalink

That’s a good question. It seems it’s taking roughly 7 weeks from official submission, which would indicate we have another couple of weeks to wait, assuming things follow the pattern. I just do not see anyway he gets denied. Remember, the request is from Sarr not Kentucky. After allowing so many similar appeals to be granted, there has been a precedent set. I have to believe we are golden.

4. ClutchCargo
    5:01 pm June 18, 2020 Permalink

Somehow this doesn’t make me feel more confident about Sarr getting a waiver. I hope I’m wrong, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

5. WILDCATS1968
    5:16 pm June 18, 2020 Permalink

Whats the hold up ? Read the article. It took 2 months and 2 days for Carton’s to be approved, Sarr’s has been less than 3 weeks since the waiver was sent. They let a player go thru the NFL draft and come back to school. A Punter even. Sarr will get approved. They are really helping the kids with these. There have been a few that normally would not have been approved, the NCAA is showing SOME heart and thinking of the kids best interest this year. I am shocked, but they are. Maybe turning over a new leaf so to speak.

• IrishCat
      5:45 pm June 18, 2020 Permalink

Free Olivier

• BobbyBlue
      6:30 pm June 18, 2020 Permalink

WC 1968
      Sarr signed with Ky on May 5th. Today we are 3 days away from 3 weeks into June. So according to your post,, Sarr did not submit for a waiver until May 28 th , 22 days after he signed with UK.
      I don’t believe that is factual.

6. runningunnin.454
    6:18 pm June 18, 2020 Permalink

A student-athlete can not request the waiver, the school where he/she wants to go has to do that. Last year there were over 1,000 athletes in the portal; I think this year, it’s around 1,200.
    Guess which one will be LAST?
    And, I’m not expecting good news.

7. UKCatAttack
    6:18 pm June 18, 2020 Permalink

For comparison sales I’d like to see an article that details requests that have been declined this year. You’re welcome for the free article idea.

8. WILDCATS1968
    7:28 pm June 18, 2020 Permalink

The waiver was just sent about 3 weeks ago. They took their time and put together a really well thought out plan backed with reasons and even got Danny Manning and Wake Forest to back his transfer. They didn’t just get a commitment from Sarr then a couple hours later shoot a fax with a generic, basic letter saying “Hey NCAA, if you don’t mind or are not to busy, can you approve a waiver for Oliver Sarr to transfer to KY and be able to play immediately?” Believe what you want to, I will believe what I KNOW.

9. WILDCATS1968
    7:30 pm June 18, 2020 Permalink

My post above was for Bobby Blue.

• BobbyBlue
      12:34 pm June 19, 2020 Permalink

Excuse me for having an opinion— No idea where you got your information but I find it difficult to believe it took from the 5th of May until the 28 th of May to apply for the waiver, and no I was not saying they did it instantly .