NBA scouts love Sophomore Nick Richards

I’m done bragging about Sophomore Nick Richards. I’m just happy I’m no longer all alone in his fan club and that you’ve all finally seen the light.

But I will spread the Sophomore Nick Richards gospel whenever I see it, like last night when John Calipari said NBA scouts are amazed by Richards’ new game.

The scouts out there, the guy they’re amazed with? Nick,” Calipari said in his postgame comments. “They’re looking at Nick. And he’s seven-foot. If you look at the tape, he’s flying up and down the court.”

Calipari’s wife, Ellen, even sees a different Nick Richards off the court.

“She said to me the other day, he’s not even the same kid,” Coach Cal said. “He doesn’t walk the same, he doesn’t look the same, he doesn’t carry himself the same. So when I met with him, I said, ‘Ellen, tell him what you said.’ And she told him all that and said, ‘I’m really proud of you.’”

Dan Dakich, who called all four games in the Bahamas, thinks Richards can become an NBA lottery pick next summer. Richards will need to continue to play well throughout the season ahead if he is going to get anywhere near that projection, but he’s certainly on the right track in August.

I told you so. (Sorry. I couldn’t resist. Had to get it in one last time.)

Article written by Drew Franklin

24 Comments for NBA scouts love Sophomore Nick Richards

1. LunchBox
    2:42 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

The kid still can’t rebound. 4.8 / game (same as K Johnson) is pretty weak.

• Booby Petrino
      3:03 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

Always has to be one of these guys spreading negativity in here ^^^
      Before you go on about how you’re being honest, let me show you a better way of saying what you said: Hopefully he improves on his rebounding, I would expect him to average more than 4.8/game.
      Or: Nick played well, hopefully his rebounding improves.

It’s really not difficult to not be a d*ck.

• runningunnin.454
      3:14 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

A duck?

• Alex90
      3:25 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

If you watched the games you would have seen Richards going out of his area and over teammates even to get rebounds.

• 4everUKblue
      3:30 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

Ha ha ha Booby good job!

• J-Dub421
      3:54 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

Nick didn’t need to rebound a lot because Reid Travis was snatching ALL the rebounds.

2. Ben27
    2:43 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

I think this team will push Nick. He has to be careful not to disappear at times like last year. Sky is the limit.

3. LunchBox
    3:11 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

Booby – you’re completely right.

Hope he continues to improve his game. Glad to see his confidence / body language has improved over the year.

4. Aar
    3:27 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

Seeing him in person last year, I was hugely impressed with his size speed and agility even relative to other basketball players. As the season progressed, it was obvious to me that he was in the steep part of an intense learning curve – he was thinking about the game and not playing instinctively. My thought at the end of the season was that basketball better watch out for when the game becomes instinctive for him.

I was glad to hear Drew’s comments and wanted to see it before believing. I think it’s safe to say that he’s got a few scoring moves down, including a mid-range jumper. He’s also figured out how to block, hope he finds ways to keep his blocks in play and to teammates. His rebounding is improving – blocking out better, moving the correct way and needs better timing. Given his progress in the recent 5 months how much more will he make in the 2.5 months to Big Blue Madness and start of the season? My guess is that it will be remarkable as well. Will he be a 15, 10 and 3 (blocks) guy in 20 minutes per game this season? I don’t think that’s a huge stretch given his Bahamas showing.

• Papaw
      3:34 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

Rebounding is all about position and He gets caught out of position many times but he was working hard. I he’ll learn a lot from Travis on how to get position for rebounds. As long as he keeps working hard and giving it 100% he’ll be really good

• J-Dub421
      3:57 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

Nick was pretty raw last year, but it’s probably because he’s only been playing basketball for a few years. He didn’t start playing until he was 12. He’s improved by leaps and bounds in a very short amount of time.

5. henderblue
    3:30 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

Good comeback LunchBox. We all sometimes say things that could have been worded a little better. Especially when it’s these kids we’re talking about.

6. chrisg18
    3:41 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

One thing to watch for though is his fouls. He had 17 fouls in 4 games. If he is fouling at that rate during the season, it won’t matter if he has improved his game because he won’t be able to stay on the floor. That’s something that has to improve.

• UKWildcatNation
      11:19 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

Beat me to it Chris! Exactly what I was going to say. He has improved so much but still has trouble staying on the floor on pump fakes every now and then

7. (Aixelsyd)0505
    4:16 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

Told us so? Didn’t tell me nothing, I knew Nick was a beast and had this potential all along… if Nick plays this year like he did in the Bahamas then Nick is your #1 draft pick.

• Bobbum Man
      4:30 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

Lol cmon… if he plays like he has been he MIGHT sneak into the lottery… I love the guy and wish nothing but the best for him but there’s no scenario where he’s the #1 pick

• (Aixelsyd)0505
      5:15 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

Dude is 7’ and can run the floor. He can score and defend. How is it so far fetched for him to go #1?

8. (Aixelsyd)0505
    4:18 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

So my Starting 5 predictions are
    Hagans
    Herro
    KJ
    PJ/EJ
    Richards

• UKWildcatNation
      11:24 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

I believe Quade will definitely start, and maybe Quickley in the backcourt with Johnson, PJ and Nick. I know, I know…people are going to think it’s crazy to not start Herro, but I would LOVE him and Hagans coming off the bench as spark plugs! And if that is the scenario then I still see him playing 25 min despite not starting. In fact I actually don’t really think it matters who starts; I feel we are going to go 9-10 deep (depending of Baker’s health) and staying with who is playing well that particular game

9. Papaw
    5:19 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

Quade will start

10. kjd
    6:26 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

Exhibition games, nice job.
    Now has to continue throughout the upcoming season, especially in the SEC.
    How will he handle a zone?
    Definitely improved. Congrats.

11. Luether
    7:03 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

As much as it pains me to say it, you were right, Drew. Wishing Nick an outstanding season and a 1st round draft pick in 2019…

12. BLUEVADER
    9:47 pm August 13, 2018 Permalink

He hasn’t been playing b-ball long at all. Let him develope! I mean the strudes he has taken has been huge. He will be better then WCS when we look back at both NBA and college career!