Two NBA scouts say Randle will never be Zach Randolph

ESPN’s Ryen Russilo spoke with three NBA talent evaluators about this year’s top prospects and shared what they had to say on Grantland.com today. The scouts were a little harsh on Julius Randle, one saying, “The comparisons to Zach Randolph have to stop. I’ve watched Zach since he was 12. Zach had it; he has great feet and can shoot. He’s not Zach.”

That same scout lost a little credibility in my book when he called Randle’s body “a little doughy.” If Randle is doughy, I’d hate to hear what the scout would have to say about me at the pool.

Anyway, check it out on Grantland to get a better idea of what they’re saying about Randle as the draft approaches. The consensus among this group is he isn’t Zach Randolph and needs to learn to shoot. They’re split on his passing ability.

[Ryen Russillo’s NBA Draft Confidential: Real Scouts on Wiggins, Randle, Embiid, and Parker]

Article written by Drew Franklin

19 Comments for Two NBA scouts say Randle will never be Zach Randolph

1. Hate To Admit It...
    5:09 pm May 23, 2014 Permalink

I don’t want to say it but the scout is right. Randle never had a consistent jumper all season and it really hurt him. He also couldn’t finish with his right until very late in the season, and even then it was iffy. His biggest improvement was his ability to pass out of double teams, but he is very turnover prone in those situations. He isn’t super quick and seems out of shape which may be where the “doughy” body thing comes from. I don’t think he means doughy compared to you and me, I think he means compared to LeBron and Dwight Howard he is out of shape, which is perfectly reasonable. I think the kid is a great player, but unless he learns to shoot and score with his right (2 things I think he for sure can develop btw) I don’t see him being an NBA all star. Hope I’m wrong.

• Delk for 3
      5:50 pm May 23, 2014 Permalink

Julius Randle is certainly not Zach Randolph. While Randle doesn’t have Randolph’s jumper or the skills with both hands, he does have elite-level athleticism and explosiveness that Zach Randolph could only dream of having. The idea that Randle is “doughy” is flat-out ridiculous and couldn’t be more wrong. I honestly have no idea where that has ever come from and I thought Matt saying so during the season was flat-out dumb. The kid has fantastic muscle mass and barely has fat on his body. While he could certainly chisel himself out a little more, he is not fat by any means and is only a couple months of hard cardio away from getting completely cut. Randle has tremendous strength and I’m sure that he is stronger than 90 percent of big men in the draft. With that said, it’s stupid to criticize his size when he’s not even close to “out of shape”. If you look at his picture recently of him in front of his new car, he looks quite thin and in great shape.

Julius has tremendous upsize and is a special player. He will develop his jumper with help and will become a very good NBA player. I’m not sure he’ll ever be an All-Star, but a consistent solid starter is almost just as important to winning franchises.

• BLEEDBLUE
      5:53 pm May 23, 2014 Permalink

I have to agree.. Randle was WAAAAAY over hyped. He really wasn’t the player I hoped he would become.. On top of that he looked like he was 30 and was ugly as hell with his black-guy bug-eyes

• Speaker of Truths
      1:51 pm May 24, 2014 Permalink

BLEEDBLUE- You’re a f*cking idiot. Randle wasn’t the player you hoped he would become? He averaged 15 and 10 as a freshman, while being double and sometimes triple teamed. If you were hoping for someone who averages 25 and 15 or something, you’re always going to be disappointed bc your expectations are ridiculous.

2. RandyB
    5:33 pm May 23, 2014 Permalink

If anybody is “doughy”, Zack Randolph is doughy. But Randle did seem to get out of breath entirely too easily. Randolph is probably a better shot, and I don’t think Julius gave up shooting the outside shot for the benefit of the team. He has work to do on that. But if Rondo could develop an outside shot, anybody can.

• Bob
      3:32 am May 24, 2014 Permalink

When did Rondo develop an outside shot?

3. Go Mitch, Beat the B*tch
    5:40 pm May 23, 2014 Permalink

Randle is doughy and soft, which has run rampant through his generation. Current generations of young black athletes are generally entitled and expect everything to be handed to them, including NBA careers and pay checks so they can pay child support to their “baby mamas.” It’s time we went back to education and discipline for these guys.

• Donald Sterling
      5:50 pm May 23, 2014 Permalink

My lackies have the cross soaking, what time is the meeting?

• jus sayin
      6:36 pm May 23, 2014 Permalink

Well that escalated quickly…

4. lonnieb
    5:45 pm May 23, 2014 Permalink

who is zach randolph. He is an maybe above average nba player. Gm better think.he can be as good as zach or why are they looking at him with top 5/6 pick. Its not like people are comparing home to some superstar. People saying he can’t shoot are stupid. He has decent form and.he is not a great shooter yet. Most nba players are not great shooters until further in their careers. He actually has a lot more upside than zach as zach is a slow fat crafty player that plays below the rim. Randle is 10 times quicker and more athletic then zach has ever been. If he can develop a decent 15-17 footer he will be a much better player than zach randolph

• Haha
      6:03 pm May 23, 2014 Permalink

At his peak Randolph was averaging 23 and 10. I’d say that’s better than above average you idiot.

5. Mass Confusion
    5:47 pm May 23, 2014 Permalink

I now know the reason whites have dominated basketball so thoroughly the last 30 yrs

6. Come on
    7:00 pm May 23, 2014 Permalink

Randle sure looked soft and unable to finish through all the double and triple teaming he got pounded on. Real damn “doughy” voluntarily switching to defend opposing players his teammates couldn’t handle. For the negative post above, save your breath,every Kentucky fan knows better.
    Anominous Scouts? Yeah that’s a good sorce , maybe the same ones that picked the number one NBA draftee that disapeared when it came time to play.

• Speaker of Truths
      1:53 pm May 24, 2014 Permalink

I would possibly die laughing if the scout that called Randle “doughy” works for the Cavs. Bc those guys drafted just about the most doughy mother f*cker available last season, Anthony Bennett, who looked like he hadn’t worked out with anything but a walk to the fridge in months on draft night. Either way, dude couldn’t be more wrong about Randle, you’re absolutely right “Come On”

7. BLEEDBLUE
    7:27 pm May 23, 2014 Permalink

I am very handsome. Right. I am a fatass Moron that should be put down. Now.

8. brain
    8:15 pm May 23, 2014 Permalink

Actually Zach is a little doughy compared to J.

9. bobolopolis
    12:18 am May 24, 2014 Permalink

This own site had a picture of Randle that kind of proves that Randle makes Z Bo look like the marshmellow man.

I spent time in the active duty army field artillery for years and never looked like randle in that pic. Scouts do all kinds of stuff to discredit players for positioning purposes.

Its stupid to do when it is so easy to track down though. Z Bo has bulk and a jumper and crafty post moves. Randle has bulk and athleticism. If Randle develops a jumper he has the ability to be better than Z Bo. He actually reminds me more of a young PPatt than anybody else.

10. Rockinron
    1:26 am May 24, 2014 Permalink

Zach Randolph has surprised me as far as his play in the NBA and is a bad boy To be in the same conversation is huge for JR. Exhale and breathe, Julius will kill it.

11. tuxedo park
    8:15 am May 24, 2014 Permalink

I remember reading something when we were recruiting Randle about his body being “a difficult body type to keep in shape” which i always thought was a really weird thing to say. Anyway, I bet he’s got 7-8 percent fat on him, which means he is extremely fit and in as good or better shape than the average NBA player.