NBA Scout Delivers Some Harsh Truths to UK Pro-Hopefuls

harrisons

Folks in the Bluegrass weren’t the only ones watching yesterday’s rivalry game; with that much talent on the floor, you can expect NBA teams to send representatives to check out the players for themselves.  Many did just that, and the reports they came back with were, well, less than scintillating.  Not unfairly so, but honest in that “I’m your grandmother so I can be blunt and pick on the things you’re sensitive about” sort of way.  These scouts were the middle-schoolers of the basketball critiquing word: they knew exactly where the soft spots were and weren’t afraid to poke at them.  They spoke to Zagsblog post-game, and proffered the following scathing advice:

Julius Randle

He can score. He’s a beast inside. He’s hard to guard in college. He’s going to be guarded by the same size and more athletic guys in the NBA, but in college he’s unstoppable down there on the block. He’s gotta develop a mid-range game. He’s just not going to be able to bully his way to the rim at the NBA level every possession.Just keep driving left and driving left, spinning back left, they’re going to figure it out pretty quickly. He’s gotta develop a mid-range game, but as far as college he’s just a beast down there. You can’t guard him one-on-one in college.

We’ve seen how quickly college coaches and players adapt to predictable go-to moves (check out his turnovers against Michigan State), and it’s hard to imagine that would get any easier in the professional game.

Harrisons

Both of them should stay. To me, I think both have regressed from where they were coming in with all the hype they had. Aaron’s a better shooter. They both struggle to guard perimeter quickness. They both are not consistent shot-makers. Andrew’s just OK. He’s never going to be able to break any NBA  point guard down and at 6-5 you’re not going to be able to post him. I just think they should both stay in school. There’s nothing that either one of them brings that makes you say, ‘Wow, this guy is my point guard or my two guard of the future.’

Both should stay?  How would that impact next year?  Tyler Ulis and Devin Booker are coming in at the 1 and 2 spots, but could depth at that position be a bad thing?  How would the twins handle a sophomore year?  Or are we stupid to even consider them coming back?  Questions to consider going into conference play–we’ll have to see significant improvement for them to be guaranteed goners.  On the plus side though, the “pouty attitude” problem was a non-issue for the scout, who says they’re clearly not bad kids, and it was never a factor.

James Young

James Young helped himself. The guy’s going to have to get stronger, but he’s a got a knack for scoring. He’s got a beautiful stroke. He can shoot the 3-ball. He’s got a bright future I think.

Great news for Young, who started the game 0-6 and looked uncomfortable offensively.

Willie Cauley-Stein

What’s he do? He blocks some shots. He has no offensive game. You can’t even go to him. He doesn’t even look at the basket. He’s not even a threat. He’s just another big guy that can block some shots, run the floor. He can go out and guard on the floor a little bit. I think he can guard some 4′s, some 5′s out on the floor. But he’s a zero offensive threat.

Ouch.  That hurt my feelings.  But to look at Willie this year compared to last year, and there’s been some improvement offensively.  He has very limited range, but is developing around the rim with decent put-back and lob-catching ability, allowing a 63% field goal average.  What he needs to do most is two-fold: improve his free throws and get a go-to move or three.  Watch Julius Randle’s footwork, develop a hook-shot, something.

Pretty harsh all-around, though none of it really unfair.  With Julius Randle almost certainly gone after this year, Cats fans and Calipari have to seriously wonder whether this scout’s opinions are shared by the rest of the NBA.  If so, we might have a pretty crowded roster next year.  Which isn’t really a bad thing, although we’d like to see players improve.  Something to think about.

Article written by Corey Nichols

58 Comments for NBA Scout Delivers Some Harsh Truths to UK Pro-Hopefuls

1. blue
    4:09 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

the NBA drafts on potential, everyone knows this

2. Booyakasha!
    4:15 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

That’s one scout giving his opinion. Scout are pretty arrogant and sure of themselves. This guy could be from the Kings for all we know. There’s no way the Harrison’s should come back. Willie is an elite shot blocker. Give me a break.

3. Backpack
    4:16 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

One scout, and they have to draft someone, can’t just pass on your pick.

4. na8vecat
    4:16 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

I agree with blue they do draft on potential , The twins are going to have to get better but I think they will . WE will see in conf play we can look forward to all the players getting better and ripping through the conference

5. Kristen Geil's Abs
    4:17 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

Staying in college another year or two isn’t a terrible thing. Under Cal, guys grow up faster than other places, but some still need 2-3 years. Even with potential being the main factor in the draft, Randle and Young are the only guys who look like first rounders to me.

6. Bubba
    4:17 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

I think this needs to be credited to HOB… This is copied and pasted word for word….

7. Brad
    4:19 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

I do not see it as harsh, sometimes the truth just hurts. The pro scouts are dead on correct. How will the Harrisons guard a NBA guard, they cant. Randle will find a way to do well but he does need a good mid range game that he doesn’t have right now. WCS for how big he is just disappears on the offensive end of the game. His only hope to score is maybe get a board and a dunk back which should happen often but doesn’t. Id like to see him get meaner and gain some confidence in the paint. Maybe 20lbs would help some! And truthfully Young is the most NBA ready player on the team. And truthfully they should all come back because none of them are ready for next level play yet.

• VaCatFan
      5:04 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

It’s true that WCS is nearly non-existent on the offensive end, but I think its because Cal’s system and the other perimeter players do not even think of including him in the offensive scheme. He can be open, they will look at him, then pass the ball back out. It seems the only time he is even a consideration is when its a lob to him. I think he has skills, but never gets to use them. Yes its probably true he is a better face the basket shooter than a back-to-the-basket post up player, but hey that’s what you have coaches for. He seems very intelligent, I refuse to believe he’s unteachable…..
      Maybe they need to bring in Anthony Davis or another successful center to teach him what they can’t.

8. Spinner
    4:20 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

He hit it spot on, I’m sure it hurts everyone’s pride a little but it’s pretty much true. Randel and Young have the best chances, the twins are iffy to me but they just don’t seem to be as awesome as they were billed to be. I hope Calapri’s style, by accident, proves to kids that they should stay in school a few years, at least pick up an associate degree. That way maybe we can have a little leadership on these teams.

• kfund
      4:41 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

This is an honest and accurate team assessment, at present. Cal will have this week of intense practice, and the potential through league and tournament play to show advancement on the part of these players. If the draft were being held today these assessments are solid.

• Daniel
      5:11 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

Just give our team a break..and don’t give a crap what nba scouts say is what I say…. I don’t think they are completely right… I don’t see better prospects out there but maybe i’m wrong and you all are right but i’m gonna stand by my position… and no it’s not Hurting my feelings… i’m being true about it too

9. Pill
    4:22 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

I’m going to tell you why this is BS…

A. People put way too much stock in to what NBA scouts say in the first place. They are just basketball fans who get paid to scout. Experts, yes.. End all be all, no.

B. He clearly has only watched a couple of games. Maybe just this one. Cauley-Stein may not have a great back to the basket game but he is an offensive threat with a good PG. He is no different than most of the other centers in the league, he needs guard help doesn’t make him bad. Think Tyson Chandler or DeAndre Jordan. They could throw it to him more but they don’t because that is rarely their best play. On another team he would be able to use that skill more.

C. Of all the things you could complain about with the Harrison Twins saying “He’s never going to be able to break any NBA point guard down…” is the last thing. He gets to the rim basically at will most scouts agree on that. Finishing is the problem. Plus Aaron Harrison is having a good season not sure why we always lump them in together.

D. “Struggles to guard quick players” You know who else does? Everyone else. Especially with the new rules. Thats why people want quick players. The on the ball defense was good yesterday and both twins are getting better especially Aaron. Chris Jones hit some jumpers but that was what Cal explicitly told Andrew Harrison to give up as opposed to the drive to avoid foul trouble.

E. He is one scout and plenty disagree with him. I”m not saying they shouldn’t stay they could use another year. But you guys know as well as I do the draft is about upside UK has that. I’m a sports writer I know a few scouts and some of them get a hard-on from putting down talent. This scout is one of them.

10. Bubba
    4:28 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

You can’t begin to compare De Andre Jordan and Tysons Chandler to WCS….

11. whodat
    4:36 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

The twins are, perhaps more so than any other Cal player, willing and able to come back for a second year based on draft projection from 2014 to 2105. Their camp is sophisticated and will make a sound business decision that impacts both not just one. It will boil down to whether or not they project higher next year based on the talent available to be drafted… not on their performance for the remainder which I, for one, anticipate to be at a very high level.

• PhilUK18
      4:40 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

Agreed. Their parents are smart, well educated people from what I gather. I would love to see them back for a second season. The thing is though, I think they still project well compared to most other guards in college this season. I don’t follow Euro ball, so I don’t know about the foreign talent in this draft class though

12. Don
    4:43 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

The scout is right but it won’t stop these kids from entering the draft next spring.

13. brain
    4:46 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

After a great win yesterday against our heated rival you feel the need to piss in the punch bowl already? Good work.

14. fakinnomah
    4:50 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

Just my opinion, but as of right now I see Randle and Young going and losing Polson and Hood to graduation. Also UK has an open scholly currently which means they could sign one more for next year. Starting lineup next year could be WCS, Towns or Lyles, Poythress, Aa Harrison, An Harrison. Then you have any number of combo’s coming off the bench with Lee, Willis, Towns or Lyles (depending on who starts), Johnson, Ulis, Booker, Hawkins. Sounds like a lot of good problems to have, but past years have shown that anyone can have a good conference and tourney run and be gone (Johnson, Twins, Poythress, WCS).

15. Bubba
    4:54 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

I don’t see them returning. … right now we have Ulis, Booker, I think we land Vaughn and I think we give Torian Graham the offer he wants… that’s 4 guards… If the Harrisons stay that’s a he’ll of a log jam at guard…plus I think I like ulis/booker/graham/Vaughn better than the harrisons…

16. truth
    4:54 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

These scouts are full of it. They love Jabari Parker and he cant guard anyone. They love Wiggins and he is too soft to be the guy on a team. Every analyst said keep Randle on the block when Cal wanted him out on the wing to develop his mid range game, now a scout says he needs to develop a mid range game… SMH… They tear the twins down because they cant stay in front of a 6 ft guard, well they are 6’6 so it might be a lil difficult. Question is, what point guard will be able to stay in front of Andrew? Aaron is comparable to Gary Harris, he is bigger and younger. They are getting better. The fact is that no one in the draft is a finish product. These are kids, they will develop. WCS is better than Haseem Thabet and that guy went number 2 overall. I see the improvement in all our players, they do what they need to do at UK to play as a team and win. Do you see what Anthony Davis and Eric Bledsoe are doing now? We only saw bits and pieces of that at UK. Hell, even Archie is doing well and everyone thought he shouldve stayed. Our players have pro games and they flourish in those roles. At UK its different, stars are role players and it takes a minute to adjust, but it will happen. Its called UK hate… Every player has faults, but its magnified here… Our guys are nitpicked just a little bit more than everyone else.

• G
      7:21 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

If I’m an NBA scout, speaking anonymously, I’m talking to anyone who will publish my opinion. And I will tell them a bunch of negative things about players I like and positive things about guys that I’d likely pass over. Use the media to your advantage.

17. Daniel
    4:58 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

I’m sorry folks but i’m taking this as a grain of salt…. You come on to give an interview and only give negative opinions and responses, I’m not gonna follow just bullcrap.. it’s easy to think those about any prospect… you lost me at saying nothing but negative comments about a prospect like Julius Randle.. from what I’ve seen from he will be wrong and I don’t see how you come out and say that…. but anyway my point is.. if you have nothing but negative comments i’ll take it as a grain of salt because from what I see there’s a lot of positive attributes that I just don’t see in other nba prospects… I don’t look at it as just because so and so said it it means its gonna be true… give me a break from this non sense!!… notice how negative his response gets when asked about WCS… i’m sorry folks but this is bs feeding the writer

18. bosshog
    5:06 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

Who cares? This is a filler piece. For a rebuttal to the scouts assessment-if you need one-you have the post immediately preceding this one. Whether they stay or go, they both have these kinds of guys to look to as models…enough said!

19. Daniel
    5:06 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

I just don’t see it… I don’t see how you say Julius Randle won’t translate.. I know you think i’m not right.. its an nba scout he’s right your wrong… but Julius Randle has a set of skills that no other player has right now for his size… I see a great basketball player and a 20/10 guy… I understand their point and have thought about that same thing myself but yeah I see a guy who will come right in and be a 20/10 guy.. also has a very high motor

• Syrin
      5:31 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

Not even close. He’s a turnover machine, and he’s not quicker or stronger than the guys at the next level, most of whom have a vertical 12 inches better than him. Look at just the Rockets. TJ and Chandler Parsons would eat him alive. Yeah, he’s a great college freshman, but he’s not ready to be a quality NBA player. TJ had better athleticism, much more speed, better range, same size, and it took him years and multiple trips to the developmental league to be NBA ready.

20. Ukcatzfan
    5:11 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

the oneUK needs to stay from a selfish point is WCS. We have no one to block shots next yeAr , so far

• Bubba
      5:21 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

No one to block shots? Have you seen Trey Lyles and Towns play?

21. It's 12 games in.
    5:12 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

No way the Harrisons come back. Randle will thrive in the NBA. Plenty of teams have backup centers like WCS so he won’t be back either. They are there to defend and buy time for the starter. And any potential player will get infinitely better playing in the D League than playing college. In fact this new rule is actually hurting in preparing players for the much more physical NBA.
    This “scout” just shows anybody can be a scout for the NBA.

• Daniel
      5:19 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

true that.

22. Jb
    5:14 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

I think he’s spot on with WCS. Although he has improved year over year he is not an option offensively, and still can improve on the glass.

23. Tony
    5:19 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

A few rebuttals:
    1. Size and instincts can’t be coached; talent can. “Upside” has been the buzzword of the one-and-done generation.
    2. Gasol, Jordan, Hibbert, Chandler, etc. are all top NBA centers that are not relied upon to score. They provide good paint defense, set picks, and/or catch lobs.
    3. Why in the world would Randle ever need to settle for a midrange jumper in college if he could drive to the rim at will and be fouled or finish with a dunk? Give me a break. He has an advanced skill set that he won’t truly need until he gets to the NBA because of his freakish physique and athleticism.
    4. You don’t have to run 25 mph to be an NBA PG. Drew will eventually learn to use his abilities at an elite level. He already is pretty effective at coming off a screen and nailing a midrange jumper or crossing defenders over cutting to the rim.

• Syrin
      5:34 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

You must not watch the NBA. NBA PGs FLY up and down the court. Fast break points are ENORMOUS at the next level because they are far easier to score upon than a set half court offense. Drew gets us no fast break points a game, gives up a dozen fast break points a game, and gets scored on at will by the opposition. WCS has made up for a few of his errors, but at some point, good coaches are going to go at Drew with EVERY possession.

24. RexRox
    5:20 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

Of course, it is correct to say that the NBA drafts based on one’s potential, and staying in school for another year or two is not necessarily a bad thing. I tend to think this is just one scout’s opinion and is not shared by all. I mean, as an NBA team you have draft picks. Who exactly are you going to take ahead of these guys?? Certainly no one from Louisville.

• Syrin
      5:25 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

Andrew Harrison isn’t even the best PG on UK. The leading scorer for the opposition is generally whoever he guards. He’ll get DESTROYED at the next level.

25. Syrin
    5:24 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

*GASP*

I’m SHOCKED, I tell you SHOCKED !!!

Oh wait. No, this is EXACTLY what I said in your “let’s bask in the glory of a damn ugly win” thread yesterday.

Here’s reality AGAIN for you indoctrinated f’tards:

We shot 20% from behind the arc
    We gave up over 40 points to 2 undersized guards
    We shot 50% from the FT line
    We spotted them damn near a 10 point lead
    They didn’t even pretend to guard WCS on offense
    We still had bad TO’s, but that was about the only area we did show improvement

Yet you IDIOTS basked in the glory of the win.

If you think that is the formula to winning six consecutive games in March against quality competition (and Louisville is VASTLY overrated), then you might as well be an IU fan. This team is a LONG way from being where it needs to be to consistently beat good competition.

• Syrin
      5:27 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

And oh yeah:

We got virtually NO fast break points for 10 games in a row despite uber athletes (lazy PG)
      We gave up a ton of fast break points (again, lazy PG play)

Some day Andrew will learn that if you want to play in the NBA, they expect you to RUN up and down the court, not walk. It’s on both ends, offense and defense.

• brain
      6:05 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

Shoot yourself in the face you miserable bastard.

26. jq
    5:32 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

Truth is not always warm and cuddly, sometimes/most times it is a COLD HARD FACT!

27. SmyrnaCat
    5:55 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

It is unfortunate that we have so many trolls and idiots show up to offer comments. The hatred smells.

The reality is that most high school players come in to college over-hyped. Nature of the beast. Randle will be one of the first three or four players drafted in 2014. I see the twins going later in the first round, and Young being mid to late first round. WCS will be late lottery or so … and will have a very good pro career.

This NBA “scout” must have gone to NC or Indiana … or their girlfriend just broke up with them, because that is the crankiest “review” of players I have heard in a long time. Totally off base.

28. SmyrnaCat
    5:57 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

PS … SYRIN must be Tom Crean.

29. Shut up
    6:11 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

Syrin you may not be a troll, but you have no clue. Yes Andrew has not lived up to his insanely high potential, but what cal pg has at this point in their career? You want us to be this well oiled machine in December, and forget how much this team will learn before playing in March. If you can’t enjoy a win over the biggest rival, than you are a disgrace to this great fan base. I can not wait until Andrew Harrison makes you eat yo feet.

30. NBA
    6:16 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

I can’t argue with the scout . WCS may never be an offensive threat even if he hangs around for four years. His range is three feet and free throw shooting is an ObamaCare train wreck . But we beat UL and all is good . The NBA should be able to find good players without UK

31. Delk for 3
    6:19 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

Just one scout’s opinion. Certainly not the end-all, be-all opinion of NBA front office guys. Most college NBA prospects have weaknesses. The only two players I don’t see glaring weaknesses with are Jabari Parker and Marcus Smart. Randle does tend to use his left way too much, but he has the ability to develop a decent jumper and when he does he will become a great NBA player. James Young will become a very good NBA player and looks to me like he has a ton room to build muscle on his frame. The Harrisons have revealed that they aren’t overly “special” players and were certainly overly hyped coming into college. Aaron has shown some nice ability, but he has to develop his jumper even more to be a legitimate 2-guard starter in the NBA. Andrew really has a lot to work on before he is considered to be an NBA PG option. I think they both will certainly come back next year. Willie Cauley-Stein certainly has more offense than he has been showing and he really has just got in a habit of deferring to better scorers on his team. I think there is certainly a place for Willie in the NBA as a 7 foot center with his athleticism. Again, I’m not sure if he leaves after this season as I don’t know if he ever planned on leaving after two years to begin with.

32. UKBlue
    6:49 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

The NBA of the old contract to take on potential isn’t the NBA of today under the new contract. Teams/owners are sick of picking kids or the majority of the kids in the draft that just aren’t very good or developed. They’ve ended up with a bunch of kids sitting on the bench not playing, sending them in & out of the D League all while having to pay them with some getting hit with the luxury tax. What makes it even worse, owners that need to rebuild their teams can’t trade these players because no other team wants them.

The Twins would get drafted, but they need all kinds of work. Randle would defiantly get drafted, but he has absolutely no outside game, and is really bad at dribbling the ball. Young is way too inconsistent, has no idea how to pass the ball, his defense is beyond questionable, and he can’t buy free throws. WCS still needs a lot of work. As of now, none of these kids has any business putting their names in the draft.

33. Ruppeat Offender
    7:06 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

The scout is wrong on a lot of levels. WCS is gone. He’s an athletic, defensive-minded 7 footer who is a pretty good rebounder and able to contribute offensively, as well. Julius and James are gone – they will be projected 1st rounders and have tons of potential. The Harrisons? Their immediate futures are little more murky. I think Aaron could go this year, but Andrew really needs another year. I believe if Andrew stays, Aaron stays too.

34. Branjo
    7:20 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

Willie will make more $$ than that scout will ever dream about. There is some truth there, but most of it is absurdly negative. there is a slight whiff of agenda here.

35. Commish
    8:10 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

This guy from zagsblog is a jaggoff ….always writes negative articles about UK , our recruits and players. Always finds a anonymous scout to rag on UK players…a true hater looking for hits…..not worth the breath to read his garbage.

36. Andy
    8:45 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

IMO Andrew may not be a sure fire 1 and done like Anthony Davis.or John Wall. Another year in college may serve him better. Aaron maybe a 1 and done depending on how he plays here on out as with James Young.

WCS is still finding his offensive game but defensively he will be helpful to some NBA team with that length. Julius is a one and done. Dakari still needs another year in college. Poythress is a mystery and he could still return in my view.

37. Bunny
    8:53 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

Have to pretty much agree with this assessment. Right now, only Randle and maybe Young are 1st round picks, but all this IS based on potential. Who ever thought Daniel Orton was a 1st round pick?

38. Playersfan
    8:59 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

This is BS. I didn’t think WCS, based on last year would be anything but a 7 footer in the draft. He is improving and has developed an offensive game, he has not been called upon because of Randle.
    The smart people like the scout said before the game that UK guards could not play with UL guards. I thought they did well, and did what they had to do. Remember how many points UL guards scored against UK the last two years, more than this year, besides they take all the shots. It was said the press will destroy UK with their guards, Andrew did the best job of bringing the ball up the floor of the last 3 years, no turnovers on that. The only turnovers from the press was in the corner, and inbounds when everybody was jammed up, that was from experience don’t get jammed up. Randle was unstoppable when he had the ball 15 foot form the basketball, as pointed out by the announcers. We haven’t seen his outside shot, because he hasn’t had to use one. There are a lot of games left, the twins said when they signed they would be attending UK for 4 years, I will believe it when I see it but I would love to see this team come back. You can complain about the shooting percentage and turnovers and body language all you want but with a 75% foul shooting percentage this team would be undefeated, and the plus is they are good shooters. There is a lot of other learning and pressure going on now, when they come out of boot camp they will be a different team. I believe Cal breaks them down, and when he thinks they are ready he builds them up into a confident smooth team. We have more talent than ever, don’t let some hater steal you joy or the players joy.
    Talk about body language did you see Andrew’s scowl a couple of times when he drove the basket and they knocked him down. He was passionate and had a lot of fight. Keep the faith and support and defend these guys, we always should and always have.

39. Playersfan
    9:04 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

One further comment who the H… is Corey Nichols to write a headline like that on this blog, whose truth is it? One person who doesn’t even identify himself. This article should never have been written, I am disappointed in this site that it was printed! So we have one unidentified judge that decides the future and lives of these kids, that is BS, and I think this site should apologize to the fans and players for repeating this rumor from who knows who. We don’t even know if he is a scout. It may ever be Pitino for all we know.

40. T Jay
    9:14 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

You have to keep in mind that HALF the NBA scouts are at or below average when it comes to scouting. As proven by the fact every single NBA season HALF the teams in the NBA are at or below championship caliber teams and HALF of the players in the NBA at or below championship caliber players.

You can pretty much take it to the bank this un-named scout is at best 50/50 on whether or not his scouting abilities are good enough to help NBA teams become championship caliber teams.

41. AaronJ
    9:31 pm December 29, 2013 Permalink

I agree that Randle is way too one dimensional but he has the size and quickness to still own most in the NBA. What he doesn’t mention is how the NBA is faster and more wide open, he will not be playing against 5 guys in the paint like he does in College.

WCS will be a very good role player in the NBA. A 7 foot guy that is very fast, can block many shots and will be able to clean up the glass.

Young again will be ready for the NBA, he is a very good defender and has a nice stroke.

Harrisons I believe have been playing better but I think of Teague with I see Andrew in that he is playing pretty well at the college level but it wont translate well to the Pros. Both need to develop better and show that they can guard the much faster guards. I hope the become lottery picks not only for their own fortunes but also because that would mean we became a great team and a legit title contender.

42. Jay Davis
    12:05 am December 30, 2013 Permalink

Truth hurts sometimes.I do not see a player on this team that is a lock to play in the NBA next season. Several of our guys have went and sat and never developed.

43. Rod Strickland's Secret Smile
    3:16 am December 30, 2013 Permalink

You can go here to see one guess at who will go where in the two rounds of this year’s draft:

If anyone thinks Randle’s too high at #5, who do you move ahead of him? Think this scout would rather pick Zach LaVine or Noah Vonleh over him? Come on. Randle will be very good in the pros. He’s not just strong, he’s strong and has a soft touch. I think he could play out at 15 feet now, but he’s too valuable down in the post for the cats because he draws two and three players down there anytime it even looks like he might get the ball. He’ll be fine.

Cauley-Stein’s projected at #18. Just four slots lower, Louisville’s Montrezl Harrell appears. Did anybody see anything in Sunday’s game that would make Harrell more appealing than WCS? Me either.

As reported here a while ago, this site now expects the twins to go in 2015, so they’re not on the list. That would be great for UK, but I don’t buy it. The last point guard projected in the first round is Elfrid Payton, a 6’3″ junior from Louisiana Lafayette. The last shooting guard listed is Markel Brown, a 6’3″ senior from Oklahoma State. Just above him is 6’5″ CJ Wilcox from Washington. Maybe NBA teams will really prefer these guys to the Harrisons next summer, but I doubt it, because even though I haven’t studied Elfrid Payton’s game closely, I’m willing to bet it has a couple of holes in it too.

Remember: you don’t have to be an all-star to get drafted in the first round, or even in the lottery. You just have to be better than the other options. And most of them have problems too.

44. bigd
    7:36 am December 30, 2013 Permalink

I know players say this all the time, but the Harrison twins did state when they signed that they will be attending thier next FOUR years at the University of Kentuky. I don’t think you would have too much complaining if Cauley-Stein stayed either…………Could you imagine what next years roster would look like if some stayed? The twins, Poythress, Cauley-Stein, Young, and Johnson. Paired up with what is coming in!!!! Booker, Towns, Ulis, and Lyles. Maybe thats why next years recruiting class is as it is!! Fun to think about!!! But unlikely!!

45. Emoney
    1:46 pm December 30, 2013 Permalink

The only sure fire NBA star playing in college this year is Jabari Parker

46. krautdog
    5:46 pm December 30, 2013 Permalink

If Archie Goodwin can get drafted in the first round, there’s not a doubt in my mind about the Harrison twins being drafted. After all, we’re only at the halfway point in the season!