NBA reportedly adding two more teams; is Louisville in the mix?

Bring-the-NBA-to-Louisville-logo3

Is there new hope for an NBA team in Louisville? According to the NBA blog 16 Wins a Ring, the NBA is planning to add two new teams as early as the 2018-19 season, and Louisville is one of the possibilities.

“The front running cities in talks are Seattle and Mexico City, with Louisville still very much in the picture,” Adam Joseph and Keith P. Smith note, adding that Las Vegas and Vancouver have also been mentioned prominently, but “only Louisville is considered a serious contender as it stands right now. ”

The movement to bring an NBA team to Louisville has been going on for years, but UofL’s lease with the Yum Center has basically made that impossible. With the arena buried in debt and the Louisville Arena Authority facing an audit, there may be more pressure than ever for UofL to alter its lease to allow other tenants, such as an NBA team.

But, considering it’s UofL, I wouldn’t hold your breath, NBA fans.

[Sources: NBA Expansion Looming With Two New Franchises]

25 Comments for NBA reportedly adding two more teams; is Louisville in the mix?

1. I get Vegas , but Seattle and Vancouver? They already lost teams to OKC and Memphis!
    Mexico City? Which star players will want to live there?

Bring back the Kentucky Colonels!

• Mathlete
      2:37 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Seattle is still mad about losing the Sonics to OKC, I don’t know about Vancouver though. And on Mexico City – if you’re paying me $10mil+ a year, I’ll live just about anywhere I need to (or just buy a private plane to fly in and out from somewhere nicer)

• DonWall
      3:18 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

It sounds like you need to be educated on the Seattle to OKC move. Assuming you will do yourself a favor and read up on it I will skip that part. Seattle would by far be the best option, as it is a totally different city than it was when they left. Seattle is the fastest growing big city that does not have an NBA team. Also, Seattle Arena Group is buying up land around the football and baseball stadiums as of late. The city is also pushing hard to figure out what to do with Key Arena, and there have been talks of rebuilding a new arena in its place.
      There are 3.5 million people in the Tacoma-Seattle-Everett area. which is probably about three times (don’t know the exact number off the top of my head) the market Louisville metro area has. I agree with you on Vancouver and Mexico City. Large markets, but not as much interest in basketball.

• Dude, no need to be rude. I knew all about what happened with the Sonics. I’m just stumping for the Colonels!

• catsarerunnin
      5:51 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Would they be the Colonels or the Kentucky Fried Chickens?

• catdaddyd
      8:20 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Isn’t the league watered down enough, they should be reducing the team’s not adding.

2. Mathlete
    2:35 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

It’s not likely U of Littlebro will do anything to help get an NBA team to the Commonwealth, almost none of their players go to the league anyway so what do they care?

3. jaws2
    3:04 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Great, another waste of money. What makes anyone think that the taxpayers won’t get hung out to dry on an NBA team as well? Seriously? We’d be better off using this money on a bicycle route around the county that no one uses. Oh, wait a minute, we’ve got one of those already. Wanta’ be city needs to just stop it.

• UK Big Board Update
      3:45 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

You are angry about a lot of things.

• Jaws, hwo knows if the team will be supported? I don’t know, but at least there is already a modern move-in ready arena in place, unlike some other potential markets.

• Who not hwo…

• Blue Ridge Cat
      5:34 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

I don’t live in Kentucky, but have used the bicycle route around Louisville and thoroughly enjoyed it. I added some revenue to the Jefferson County coffers while I was at it. I don’t know why spending tax money on parks should invite such scorn. From the looks of national health and obesity statistics, Kentuckians could use more parks, not fewer.

I loved going to Colonels games as a kid. The area supported a pro team then, and would do it again. Just add one former player from each of UK, UL and IU, and the place would go nuts.

4. the ghost of Bill Hicks
    3:37 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Mexico City……..lol.

5. secrick
    3:47 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

NBA, Boring. That’s just me.

• ClutchCargo
      4:08 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Not just you, I’m right there with you. I can barely watch an entire NBA game until the playoffs. Having said that, it would be nice to have a pro team to cheer for about 30 minutes from my house. I’m sure my apathy is due to not having that right now

• I’m not a huge fan either quite honestly, but if the Colonels come back I think I’ll be more interested since I’ll have a local team to pull for. Maybe the Kings could move back to Cincy and become the Royals again! 😉

• UK Big Board Update
      6:05 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, the greatest collection of basketball talent on the planet playing the game that we, as UK basketball fans love, at its highest level… so boring.

I’m sure you’ll be glued to the NCCU Eagles vs the Hampton Pirates tonight on ESPNU though. That’s some exciting and compelling basketball there, folks.

• UK Big Board Update
      6:13 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Not to mention 24 former UK basketball players are on 60% of the teams in that league you find so boring.

‘F’ them, though, right?

• catsarerunnin
      6:33 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Oh wow you told him.

6. BBNBRIAN
    4:09 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

Louisville cannot sustain a NBA team. This has been “discussed” for the better part of two decades now. Our economy has only gotten worse over the last 20 years (downtown being the exception as it has grown) but even the NuLou area isn’t going to support a NBA team. The people that live there aren’t exactly the demographic that the NBA is trying to appeal to… Not sayin’, just sayin’…..

7. kentuckybackupplayer
    4:53 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

NBA don’t allow no strippers in the locker room so Louisville is out.

8. DrSayre
    5:08 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

If Mexico City gets a team, maybe Louisville can get their team when they move 2 years later

9. CB3UK
    5:46 pm January 16, 2017 Permalink

I could get behind a team in Louisville or Cincinnati, until then I could not care less about the NBA.

10. satcheluk
    6:49 am January 17, 2017 Permalink

I hope they get a team for the fans who want it, but I can’t stand the NBA. I haven’t watched since I was a kid and Magic, Bird and Jordan were playing. Maybe I’m an outlier, but I really don’t watch much college basketball other than UK and an occasional SEC or marquee matchup, but I’ll watch every tournament game.

I much prefer football and will watch NFL or meaningless college games each weekend.