NBA execs tell ESPN that Hamidou Diallo should return to UK

screen-shot-2017-01-11-at-8-19-56-am

Jeff Goodman, one of the last remaining employees at ESPN, spoke to several NBA execs about the futures of the undecided prospects at this week’s combine.

Of course, Hamidou Diallo is one of the 14 undecided, and the consensus from the NBA execs in Goodman’s rolodex is the 18-year-old should return to the University of Kentucky to increase his stock before officially entering the draft with an agent.

From ESPN:

Hamidou Diallo, Kentucky Wildcats

He enrolled at the semester break last year but didn’t play for the Wildcats. Diallo is a big-time athlete, but the knock on him is his feel for the game and ability to make shots from the perimeter. “He’s a freak athlete but has so much to learn,” one NBA executive said. Another wondered whether it might not be advantageous to leave now, for fear of being exposed at the college level.

Range: Early second round
NBA says: Back to school

However, many NBA know-it-alls see Diallo as the most athletic player in the draft and they believe someone will take a chance on him in the first round. This will ultimately come down to if Diallo trusts a team will take him that early, and if he would rather do that than potentially play his way into the lottery with one season at UK.

Where you going, Hami????

Article written by Drew Franklin

35 Comments for NBA execs tell ESPN that Hamidou Diallo should return to UK

1. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    1:38 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

He’s coming back! You heard it here first….

• unbridled
      1:46 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

I selfishly hope you are right…but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

• Ukgrad2006
      1:48 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Wrong again, pal. He still gone.

• AllBlueAllDay
      1:55 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Ukgrad you said that the other day too. If he’s so gone, then why hasn’t he already signed with an agent?

• Ukgrad2006
      2:06 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Would you?

• AllBlueAllDay
      2:11 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

If I knew, for sure, I’m staying in in the draft, yeah I probably would. Not sure what benefits he would have waiting, if he knows for 100% certainty he’s gone.

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      2:18 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Yeah my comment was actually making fun of UKgrad2006…he may be gone, he may return…either way it isn’t the first time we have heard it or the last.

• Booby Petrino
      2:49 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

AllBlue nailed it. If you’re certain you’re gone, which UKgrad says he is, you sign with an agent. If you are unsure, you don’t.

• turdyshmurda
      3:41 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

One of my buddies is Diallo’s good friend from High School. He said he’s seriously leaning toward coming back…

• catsarerunnin
      8:46 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Well if it’s coming from a friend of a friend of Turdy then it MUST be true.

2. Argh! I can’t take any more of these “Will he or won’t he?” posts abot Diallo. I know KSR is just doing it’s job, but I think I’m going to have to skip these posts until the deadline.

• CatstopWontstop
      3:24 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

AMEN! Enough is enough about a kid that has never played a game for Kentucky…and may never play one. If he stays, great, if he goes, best of luck kid. I don’t care anymore until he announces his decision.

3. Shagaris Sock Puppet
    1:50 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Goodness this guy is going to have a hell of a hype train in Lex if he decides to come back! Ive never seen anything like this in my lifetime as a UK fan and all for a guy thats never played a game. BBN is really excited to see his game and if he does come back, hes definitely got a loud buzz surrounding his name. This decision to test the waters, regardless of what he chooses to do, has done nothing but benefit Diallo and thats all he can ask for.

4. Bluebloodtoo
    2:06 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

The risks of coming back to UK for a year seem smaller than the risks of going to the draft and being a 2nd round pick to me. Sure, he could get hurt but whats the probability of that vs being successful NBA superstar that was picked in the 2nd round? I don’t know the answer, but it seems unlikely that it would be higher.

• RackEmWillie
      2:20 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Heck, even if he does get hurt he could still have worked his way into the 1st round.

5. ZRZynda
    2:11 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Just think for a min….. hami come back we land bamba and get johnson to make a super team……. I cant wait to be in San Antonio next march!!!

• bluegrassbomber2012
      2:18 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

In theory that sounds great. But ain’t no way Cam Johnson comes to UK if Hami stays. Simply too crowded on the perimeter. If Hami goes though then yes I say we get Johnson who’s experience and 3-point shooting one could argue we actually need more. I’ll gladly take either guy though.

6. TBW3011
    2:25 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Gonzo.

7. Mathlete
    2:28 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

I’m not sure what the new rules say… does Diallo have to decide before the draft, or could he wait until after draft night and decide to come back as long as he doesn’t hire an agent?

8. gottodoit
    2:57 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Tell me please: When is the exact date we will know Diallo’s decision?

• J-Dub421
      3:47 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

May 24th.

9. Catlogic15
    3:13 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

“Until after draft night”. Really?

10. ofallthethings
    3:34 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

I hope he just decides he’s leaving soon, sick of this indecisive nonsense. I really think he decided to not play for us because he had planned on going pro all along and he was afraid of having his game exposed by college players. And now he isn’t participating in the scrimmages for the same reason and hoping to get paid based on hype alone. Which, I mean, good for him, but I personally will not be a fan.

• mherron
      3:41 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Agree – If never played – then how can you call him a ‘Cat’?

• WillySpankit
      4:11 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, I hope that probably one of the best players out there this year doesn’t end up on my favorite team because he’s taking longer than I like to make an extremely difficult life decision too.

Ok, enough sarcasm. Do you realize how little sense that makes?

• 4everblue
      4:26 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

If I were him I would definitely do what’s best for all the self centered fans instead of taking my time and weighing my options to see what would be the smartest move for myself. Yeah how can you be a fan of someone who makes smart decisions?

• ofallthethings
      4:43 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Lol, 4ever’s passive aggressive sarcasm is funny. What about my comment makes me self-centered? You are literally looking for drama to start. I want what’s best for him which is to go pro, I just don’t like that Kentucky is being dragged along in all this is all when we know he’s gone. And Willy, if he comes back I will be a fan, but not going to go out of my way to root for him if he goes to the NBA after – what I believe – he dodged playing for us.

• Bobbum Man
      5:59 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

“We all know he’s gone” just like “we all know Knox isn’t coming here” u never know… don’t like to read about it then skip on to the next post, it’s not rocket science. I don’t mind waiting seeing as if he returns and we get bamba Cal probably has his best preseason team yet, yes obviously we have to wait to see how they perform.

• 4everblue
      7:16 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Not looking for any drama and I wasn’t singling you out ofallthethings, I was referring to the UK fans on this site in general and there are many. I personally don’t watch much NBA so I wish him well if he goes but I will likely not watch much. My point is he did what anyone with the same opportunity would do, it was a smart move whether any of us like it of not.

11. 4everblue
    4:21 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Yeah damn him for doing what’s best for him and not us…oughta just flip a coin…

12. Bluebloodtoo
    6:06 pm May 10, 2017 Permalink

Ok everyone… Cal’s entire recruiting strategy hinges on the fact that these guys are going to the NBA sometime and that they are afforded the opportunity to decide when that’s right for THEMSELVES AND THEIR FAMILIES. I’m sorry that this strategy doesn’t work for your mental health, but it’s working really [email protected]@@@ing well for our recruiting and player development. Let the big boys work out the details and stop your freaking whining; the show that you really care about will start sometime in November.