Must-Listen of the Day: Matt Jones vs. Paul Kuharsky

chunk_906

You’re looking at Paul Kuharsky, an NFL writer for ESPN.com and co-host on “The Midday 180,” a sports talk show here in Nashville. Kuharsky is infamous in Music City for being a curmudgeon, especially when it comes to journalism, John Calipari, and, apparently, us. Today, Kuharsky and co-host Chad Withrow led off the show by discussing the John Higgins fiasco and what role they believe KSR played in it. Matt heard the conversation and called in, which led to a spirited debate between him and Kuharsky over “journalism” vs. fan sites such as the one you’re reading right now. As you might imagine, Kuharsky and Withrow are not fans of ours because they believe we perpetuate “fake news,” so this was a lively conversation to say the least.

The conversation then switched to Paul’s claim that Kentucky fans chanted “SEC” at the SEC Tournament (which didn’t happen, he misheard the “MVP” chant directed at Dominique Hawkins) and the UCLA game (which honestly, I don’t even recall). That part’s not as entertaining, but you should stop and listen to the segment because it’s not only great radio, it’s an interesting debate about traditional journalism vs. fan-based sites. Personally, I think Kuharsky and Withrow’s complaints that KSR only prints the good stuff about the team and not the bad is totally bogus and proves they’ve never read this site, but it’s an argument I hear a lot and, as someone who strives to be as fair as possible in my coverage, it annoys me. I listened to the show for about an hour afterwards and want to give to all of the KSR fans who called in to defend us a big shoutout. We do this for you, and we thank you.

28 Comments for Must-Listen of the Day: Matt Jones vs. Paul Kuharsky

1. KTR2786
    4:41 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

This is part of the larger war that mainstream media outlets have waged on smaller, independent news sources. The cleansing of Youtube is occurring as we speak.

2. catsarerunnin
    4:45 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

So what would be wrong with chanting SEC?

3. J-Dub421
    4:49 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Gotta love when someone like Kuharsky tries to weigh in on something they clearly have no knowledge at all of.

• Brian in Franklin
      8:01 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Like Matt trying to talk football when he clearly has no clue.

4. PillsburyThrowboy
    5:04 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Matt, while he may not be lying, he isn’t really telling the truth entirely either. Drew made a post of all the “funny” comments for readers to laugh at and then said at the end “hey guys don’t do this”. This is not as a post saying “don’t do this guys, this isn’t right”. Also, just because Matt said it on the radio doesn’t mean his entire audience heard him. I never listen to the radio show and all the posts on here haven’t really been telling fans to stop harassing.

• Realme
      5:05 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

There was a separate article from Drew when the alleged death threats started being reported. Exactly like Matt said.

• ukgags86
      5:09 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Mrs. Tyler T. has posted it several times including in the article that proceeds this one.

• TheBluegrassKid
      6:00 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

People have minds of their own. KSR does not practice mind control, making people call in death threats. Why in today’s society can we not hold people accountable for their own actions?
      There are a lot of stupid, irrational people out there that do stupid things, it’s a fact of life.

5. Realme
    5:04 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

So, KSR fans are stupid, and Matt is “smarter than he thought Matt would be”. This guy is really overconfident in his own intelligence for someone making some very stupid arguments.

6. ukgags86
    5:04 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

And Matt said they did it because of SC success not FL. The SC game was already over if memory serves.

7. DelrayCat
    5:07 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Nerd Fight!
    Matt wiped the floor with these guys.

8. JHFrauenhoffer
    5:14 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

It was like they were trying to see who could be a bigger douche bag, I’m not sure we have a clear winner.

9. suppie
    5:27 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

kuharsky is not a journalist — he’s an espn nfl south blogger.

10. cats969812
    5:31 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

I have been reading KSR from the start, and I just registered an account because of this post. I live in Nashville, and Kuharsky has been bullying people (mostly callers) for years. Absolutely classic to see him backpedal like he does in this interview. The other Nashvillians that listen to him can attest to his elitism. Good work, Matt.

11. keiths
    5:33 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Matt destroyed the Finebaum wannabe

12. NashvilleCatFan
    5:47 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

As far as pompous Nashville sports personalities go, Kuharsky is right on par with the likes of Clay Travis. I refuse to listen to his show because of the way he talks down to his listeners, guests, and basically anyone who dares to disagree with him. He’s an Ivy-league elistist (Columbia graduate) and will be sure to let everyone know it. Nothing worse than an old, short, balding, angry little man. Basically, he is the worst.

• runningunnin.454
      6:31 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

There you go, Columbia….bastion of free speech; unless you disagree with their political opinions.

13. Kelkat
    7:13 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Paul Kuharsky certainly didn’t sound like a “journalist”. Journalists are suppose to be unbiased, that dude clearly was badgering Matt and was putting down Kentucky fans. Matt actually came across more professional then either of those two nimrods.

14. psuegobigblue
    7:25 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Both of those 104-5 The Zone airheads are total Tennessee homers. Matt will always come across looking and sounding more professional than most of those that try and argue with him. While I certainly wish those ‘fans’ that thought threatening a referee was cool, please stop and if you cannot refrain from this in the future, find another team to get behind. BBN does not need your ignorance. GO CATS!

15. catinkville
    8:25 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

What a smug, condescending asshat. He is they type of guy who thinks he is smarter then everyone else in the room. Clearly he is an unhappy person, and full of jealousy for KSR and Kentucky’s success. I must be 51 going on 12 because I wear my Ky gear all the time and won’t stop because of the opinion of that d-bag.

16. tfordstyle
    9:48 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

@pisbury. Exactly, like when drew gives gambling advice and show pictures of his bets and then says “don’t bet”. Or dedicates entire posts to how funny the 1 star reviews are, and follows it with a post asking people to stop. Is ksr the real troll? Lol

17. realkynerd
    11:55 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

Matt you destroyed this dude, and it was awesome. What a punk.

18. kampus korner
    11:55 pm March 29, 2017 Permalink

First, this was “good radio. Second, until I read this piece and listened to the radio clip, I never heard of Paul Kuharsky. Likewise, I have never even seen his name in print. Now, I know he’s on the radio in Nashville and takes great pride in being a “journalist”. So be it. It’s a good thing to be proud of what you do unless one’s pride morphs into unbridled arrogance which appears to be the case with Kuharsky.

Third, I must say however, that for a “journalist”, Mr. Kuharsky makes more sweeping generalizations than any freshman in high school. My sense though is that he is desperately and feebly trying to emulate “Clay Travis” because the executive producer for his program has advised him that this is what’s needed to keep his job. Granted, this is pure speculation on my part, but given his demonstrated lack of capacity to grasp much less articulate a cogent response to more than one simplistic issue at a time, I believe my assessment of Mr. Kuharsky’s abilities or lack thereof is probably more accurate than not.

Indeed, I was baffled at Mr Kuharsky’s obsession with whether UK fans chanted “SEC” during a UK basketball game. He wouldn’t let it rest for reasons which are still bewildering to me. For the record, I’m 67 years old. I attended my first UK game in 1959. Ive seen 90% of all UK home games since 1966. I’ve been a season ticket holder at Rupp since it opened in 1976. I’ve been to 9 SEC tournaments, dozens of Sweet 16’s and Elite 8’s. I’ve been to the Final Four when UK played in 1978, 1984, 1993, 1997, 1998, 2011, 2012 and 2015. I’ve never heard UK fans chant “SEC” during any of these games until I heard them chant it during the UCLA game. I think they only chanted it then because South Carolina had upset hated Duke which meant at least 2 if not 3 teams might, st the time, be in the Elite 8 in a year in which the SEC was criticized as having worthless teams except for UK.

Fina

• runningunnin.454
      7:43 am March 30, 2017 Permalink

Well said. And, but for two gifts, the ACC would not have any teams in the Elite 8.

19. ThankfulCat
    3:02 pm March 30, 2017 Permalink

Kuharsky is an idiot and so are the other three clowns on 104.5 The Zone. They BASHED Kentucky when Cal came and said he wouldn’t win squat. Now they are only able to say stuff like this.

What a bunch of clowns