Muhammad Ali’s Saturday News And Views

Seventy-two years ago today the greatest athlete the state of Kentucky has ever produced was born to Cassius Clay Sr and Odessa Clay in a middle class Louisville home. For a state that seems to have a miniscule impact on the world of professional sports it’s cool to associate ourselves with one of the athletes who define a sport. Ali was famous for both his work in ring and outside of it along with being infinitely quotable. My favorite Ali quote

I’ve wrestled with alligators,
I’ve tussled with a whale.
I done handcuffed lightning
And throw thunder in jail.
You know I’m bad.
just last week, I murdered a rock,
Injured a stone, Hospitalized a brick.
I’m so mean, I make medicine sick.”

Muhammad Ali is a living legend and despite him making appearances at Card games we wish him a very happy 72nd birthday to the greatest of all time.

Now on to the news and some views:

-Tomorrow the Cats will take on the Tennesse Vols and despite Alex Poythress turning on absolute beast mode don’t expect him to slide into the starting role. Today Cal said:

“No, no. We’re fine,” Cal said at his pre-Tennessee press conference, when asked if he’ll toy with the starting rotation. “If I need to put a guy in, I’ll put him a minute into the game.”

Alex the Tennesse native has been putting in extra midnight hours following the loss to Arkansas. I expect him to have another monster dunk-a-thon tomorrow afternoon. How many point do you think he will finish with?

-As for the game against the 11-5 Vols, Kentucky opened as a big time favorite at home. The Cats are a a 9.5 point favorite over Tennessee. The spread seems a little high considering its a rivalry game against a team that can match-up well with us. I expect to see an all out brawl in Rupp tomorrow.

-One of the best SEC match-ups this season will be Stokes going up against Julius Randle and believe it or not the two have a history. Randle and Stokes were teammates on the USA Men’s U18 National Team in 2012 and saw plenty of each other in the training sessions and practices before traveling to Brazil for the FIBA Americas U18 Championships. Randle, the youngest member of that team, led the USA in scoring and rebounds with 14.9 and 6.6 per game. Stokes, the oldest player on the team, was a close second with 14 points and 5.6 rebounds per game.

I could see both guys going for 14 easy in tomorrows battle.

These cat fans climbed a mountain in anticipation of tomorrow’s game.

The new football Cats are on Campus and UK released a video showcasing the new crop of talent:

The video is awesome and will get you hyped up for the future on the football field. Big things are coming for Stoops and the troops.

-Speaking of football there’s a new coach in town down in Nashville. Stanford defensive coordinator Derek Mason is all set to become Vanderbilt’s next head football coach. Stanford has remained great despite Harbaugh leaving for the league a few years back so it seems like the ‘Dores landed a good coach. Hopefully though Vandy will fall back down to a team the Cats can defeat on the regular. That’d go a long way towards reaching a bowl

Around the NBA

-DeMarcus Cousins continues to dominate around the association. Tonight he finished 22 and 17 against defensive player of the year Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph. If Big Cuz isn’t the best center in the NBA already he is well on his way as he is averaging  25 and 14 of the last 10 games. The Kings have a franchise player in the 23 year old. Now, if only they could get him some help.

-John Wall hit an amazing shot you just gotta see. Scroll on down the page to take a look.

The fun for Tennessee starts bright and early tomorrow with the KSR pregame show at 9:30 so set your alarm to tune in. I’ll be around for the pregame festivities and checking in on Jarnell Stokes’ ability to stretch.

Go Cats.

Article written by Andrew Cassady

Follow me @ACassady_KSR

35 Comments for Muhammad Ali’s Saturday News And Views

1. KyTom
    11:48 pm January 17, 2014 Permalink

My favorite Ali saying…..when reporters told Ali that Sonny Liston had said Ali would run from him, “I’ll fight that chump in a phone booth.”

2. Early Cuyler
    1:32 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

Destroy the Volz

3. Pitino or Petrino
    2:02 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

Ali shakes so much I bet he’d be good at washing dishes. He should have been my slave.

• Bob
      9:37 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

I wear my ignorance like a badge of courage.

4. Kristen Geil's Abs
    2:28 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

My favorite quote from Ali was when he said, “I refuse to go to Vietnam like the rest of the people my age who were forced to go.”

• St Ronnie was a moron
      3:45 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

If they can make penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.
      Muhammad Ali

• bob
      9:32 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

He was a draft dodger,he thought he was to good.

5. barn
    5:22 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

great boxer. i watched his fights in the 60’s on tv in my barracks dayroom, after i was drafted, against my wishes, earning $97/month, as he made millyun$. he’ll always be a hero

6. bigblue091812
    6:37 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

I have compassion for him, I’ve never wished misfortune on anyone no matter how I feel towards them. I had a chance to meet him in 1981. While the rest of the 12-15 employees were shaking his hand and speaking with him I just continued to work. He was a terrible American, I was a child in the 60’s and I remember watching the news every night with my parents and I know there was a lot wrong with this country back then but no where near as much as there is now. I only wished he’d been banned from boxing for life for the way he turned to Islam and turned his back on this country. I wish him well and hope he lives many more years, and yes he was great in the ring but a poor excuse for an American. He could’ve done so much more for the black people if he had done things different.

• haha
      7:42 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

Oh yea, and what an idiotic comment. Try reading

• Truth
      8:42 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

I have to agree with haha.. You do realize he (Ali) chartered a private plane to Vietnam and fought in his spare time right? He claims to have killed 3,400 + to help his fellow soldiers.. If you would have read his book you would know the whole “enlisting” thing was just a publicity stunt.

• Tony
      8:52 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

Agree 100 percent, and they call Rupp a racist…..this trash talking thug can burn in hell for all I care.

• Gary
      8:57 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

Ali….the “greatest” draft dodger in American history. There’s been a lot of other celebrities/sport figures over the decades who served their country bravely, but not Ali. I was a teenager when Ali hid behind his new found Muslim faith. If you all had friends or relatives being drafted and had to watch Ali trying to get out of it, you wouldnt care for the guy either. Then you believe in a book it was a publicity stunt? Pleeeeeze.

• St Ronnie was a moron
      9:21 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

I bet you didn’t vote for the infamous draft dodger Cheney did you? Or how about Mittens who marched in support the war but took his mission to France to spread the good word. Not to mention that idiot from Texas, Bush who spent the whole war keeping the US safe from the Mexican air Force from privileged air National Guard slot.
      Remember:
      “I Ain’t Got No Quarrel With The VietCong…No VietCong Ever Called Me N!gger.”
      Muhammad Ali 1969

• Gary
      9:43 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

Oh I see now……if the VietCong had actually called Ali the “n” word……lets not offend anyone here….. Ali would have been the first guy on the plane to Vietnam? Right.

• Nam Vet!
      9:51 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

St. Ronnie’s a moron, No Vietcong ever called all the millions of other African Americans the N word either, they just didn’t have the money or the fame to fight it. Ali, in MY book could/should share a room with another famous traitor Hanoi Jane. You sir are an IDIOT!

• St Ronnie was a moron
      10:16 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

So you are still mad that he exercised his constitutional rights? I get that because you and your ilk think those rights only apply to those of like(small) minds.
      It must really suck that sane America is passing you by like the relic you are.
      Idiot

• bigblue091812
      11:56 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

So it’s good to see that many people still believe anything they read. St Ronnie my rights are threatened everyday but no one cares. He was a coward, he didn’t kill 3,400 and don’t forget who fought for him to have rights. That LOSERVILLE punk wasn’t gonna fight anyone without a check waiting. I don’t have to read anything this lying coward writes or says now, I was alive when he was saying it live so shut the hell up when you have no clue to what your talking about.

7. haha
    7:40 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

booty!!!!

8. Gary
    9:07 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

Truth says….” You do realize he (Ali) chartered a private plane to Vietnam and fought in his spare time right? He claims to have killed 3,400 + to help his fellow soldiers..”

And Osama Bin Laden snuck in the USA on Thanksgiving and served dinner to the homeless.

• Nam Vet!
      9:53 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

I kinda wondered if that was really him ha ha ha

9. Johnny Basketball
    9:36 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

Who are the refs for the UK-UT game?

10. nlk
    9:54 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

Yep, a draft dodging, faux-mooslim UL fan… what’s not to like?

I’m a fan of Cassius Clay. Ali? Not so much.

11. JayOne
    10:11 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

To praise Cassius X Clay, aka Ali, the number one UL fan as a humanitarian is laughable. He was a great boxer. Leave it at that. He was not from a ghetto. He came from a middle class family with a loving father and mother. Of all the blacks in society he had the least reason to hate America and the white race. But he hated both. Read his words, not some history revisionist. He fanned the flames of racism. I served in the U.S. Army from 1966-1968 and he was not admired by my fellow soldiers. While we crawled in the mud he was running around being a traitor to our country. No he is not a hero and sure isn’t a person to unite the races;. He was a great boxer and a great UL fan. Leave it at that.

12. Shooter
    10:13 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

These are the most ignorant and racist comments, is it because he is black or that he’s from Louisville. WTF!!! Screw You Guys , I’m Going Home!!! Knuckle Draggers!!!!

• St Ronnie was a moron
      10:17 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

its all black and white with these cretins

• Gary
      10:49 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

Same ol same ol……if you criticize a black guy you’re a racist. Race was never mentioned until St Ronnie brought it up. Shooter…….its because a draft dodger calls himself the “greatest” and the writer of this post attempted to glorify him as such. He may have been the greatest boxer, but he wasnt anywhere near being the greatest person. And if someone wants to remind us of how great a boxer he was, we have the right to remind him of what a dirtbag draft dodger he was. Color has nothing to do with it….except for you trying to defend him.

13. ushouldno
    10:27 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

The war in Vietnam was a “civil war” between the the north and south sections of the country. While communism was a factor it was their war, not America’s. If more young men had said no I won’t go perhaps we would not have a wall in D.C. with over 58,000 names on it Ali did the right thing. We should not have been in Vietnam. I am in my 60’s and that is my opinion.

14. Nam Vet!
    10:49 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

You are correct Sir.

15. BigBlueMike
    11:46 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

ushouldno is an idiot. If we had more people like ali we would be speaking the queen’s english, japanese, german, russian or some other foreign language instead of being the free Americans that we are. God Bless the USA!

• u
      11:54 am January 18, 2014 Permalink

Vietnam did not attack the U.S. My Dad fought in WWII. It was a just war. There was nothing just about our being in Vietnam. I may be an idiot to you but I am an informed idiot, and I know right from wrong.

• bigblue091812
      12:03 pm January 18, 2014 Permalink

AMEN BIGBLUEMIKE, I guess we were supposed to sit and watch millions being killed because they wanted to have rights, worship the way they wanted and to live in a free nation like the US. It’s sad so many idiots in this country are clueless to history because of what they won’t teach in school or they think everything on CNN is the truth. Ali sucked as an American and I don’t regret and I’m proud I showed him no respect in 1981 no different than I would today, he should’ve married Jane Fonda and they both could’ve got the hell out of this country.

• ushouldno
      1:13 pm January 18, 2014 Permalink

It is halftime. I have a history degree and have taught history,civics, government, geography, etc, for the last thirty years. I seldom watch CNN, they are good at covering natural disasters, floods etc, not much else. Much of my thoughts on Vietnam come from growing up in that era. Also from my friends and relatives who served during that time.

One of my best friends took three bullets in his left thigh in Cambodia in the Spring of 1971. He was lucky the three guys in front of him got it in the neck and were dead when they hit the ground. From talking to Vietnam Vets most say they should have not been there. Learn from history. We are not the worlds policeman and should not be. That is enough.

16. Shooter
    2:30 pm January 18, 2014 Permalink

He did not dodge anything!! He stood up and faced down the government and dealt with the consequences. He didn’t hide in Canada or buy his way into the national guard. He really is a true American!!!

17. Just for the record, I’d like to note that “St Ronnie was a moron” is a moron…