More quotes from John Calipari at Media Day

cal-media-day3

John Calipari spoke to a large crowd of writers and bald people just outside his practice facility this morning to lead off UK Basketball Media Day 2015. I was in attendance, and though I didn’t pay attention the entire time — dozed off once or twice — I took some notes for those of you who weren’t invited. You’re welcome, everybody.

Here are some of the comments I think you’ll care about…

He expects Skal Labissiere to be eligible.

In case you missed it on the site a little earlier, the first question directed to Cal was about Skal’s eligibility. (Shocker.)

His entire response:

“Everything is good to go, and like we do here, on the first day – if you don’t know, let me explain the process: there are probably 50 players that have a review. Last year we had five players have a review. A couple of them got cleared a week before the game. This year there was more than one.

Every year we’ve been here, players go through the review. You won’t believe this: it’s always the best players who go through the review.

I think my team will be fine. You guys will figure that out when we go out there the first day and everybody’s got uniforms on. You’ll know ‘Welp, everyone’s got uniforms on, they must be cleared.’”

“How did this become such a huge — this became like a firestorm. I’m telling you, I was like I told — what is this big — this is like — where did this come from? I feel real good what my team’s going to look like on the first day. Let’s move on to some basketball stuff.”

#InSandyWeTrust

Alex Poythress is at about 75 percent.

With Alex, once he gets healthy, it’s all about gaining confidence — not just confidence in his shot; but confidence in his body, confidence he’ll land just fine when he leaves the ground.

“He’s got to be a beast.”

How does he feel about the 30/1 odds to go 40-0?

“That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.”

He wants Jordan Spieth to be the ‘Y’ in Rupp Arena.

Cal is still on this Jordan Spieth kick, using Spieth as an example of someone who left college after one year without criticism. Spieth “chased his genius” and made $50 million in one year as a 22-year-old.

“Jordan Spieth ruined college golf,” Cal joked.

He then said he wishes Spieth would be the celebrity ‘Y’ at a game in Rupp, but doubts they can get him to do it.

Why doesn’t he like zone?

Because… “When you turn on a TV and the watch the NBA — they don’t play zone,” he explained.

Cal said he would play more zone if it meant helping his players achieve individual success, but that’s not the case.

“My job is to prepare these kids. If I’m playing zone, it’s strategically or I’m protecting somebody who cannot guard anybody on the floor.”

He wants to play small ball… with 6’10 guys.

If you watched the success of the Golden State Warriors last season, you know the NBA game has changed. It has gone to small ball and Cal loves small ball, but he wants to play it with tall people.

“You had Golden State play with a 6’7 center. Harrison Barnes played fine for himself. Small ball? I want to play small ball with 6’10 guys,” he said. “I want to be able to do the same thing they’re doing with that 6’3, 6’4 guy, but to do it with 6’10. Anthony Davis. They’re long, they’re skilled basketball players, they just happened to grow more than they thought they’d grow. Thought they were going to be 6’3; oh, man I’m 6’10.”

Tyler Ulis is the best floor general he’s coached.

Not the best point guard, but the best “floor general.” Don’t confuse with thinking he is John Wall, Brandon Knight or Derrick Rose, Cal warned.

“Tyler is our best player, can I tell you? And it ain’t close.”

Article written by Drew Franklin

28 Comments for More quotes from John Calipari at Media Day

1. BigBlueFanClub
    2:17 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

Why doesn’t he like zone?

Because… “When you turn on a TV and the watch the NBA – they don’t play zone,” he explained.

I love you Cal but if you played some zone in the tourney you might had won more than 1 championship. I get it….its all about your kids getting rich and playing in the NBA. I guess BBN has to be happy getting to the dance. If we win thats great but if we lose oh well.

• Troll Slayer
      2:20 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

Troll is trolling.

• Boeheim
      2:24 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

The guy makes a great point about zone winning in the tournament. After all, that’s why Jim Boeheim has 10 or 12 championships to Cal’s 1.

• Izzo
      2:44 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

And Boeheim recruits players to play zone….

• Reality
      3:07 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

Borneim…..of course Syracuse never had the greatest talent ever assembled in college sports for about 6 yrs running! But that’s another story. Maybe we should only shoot 3’s from 22 ft since that’s how the pro’s do it.

• Reality Bites
      3:13 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

Yep, and Cal already has 1 title in just 6 years at UK (with 4 Final Fours, plus two more at other schools)….

Boeheim only has one title (and the same amount of Final Fours), with Carmelo Anthony 12 years ago, in 39 years.

• inside info2
      3:55 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

It’s not trolling if it’s true. Cal is paid to win games HERE AT UK, not in the NBA. I know Cal was using Cal recruit speak, but there is some truth that if he played some zone throughout the year we might have won an extra game or two here or there.

I do appreciate what Cal has done here. He’s done so much more than Tubby and Billy Clyde. But if he wasn’t so stubborn and arrogant he probably could have done even better.

All that being said, I think this is going to be a fun year.

• theSkinny81
      4:03 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

Oh look, Negative Nancy is back….. :/

That might be the most ridiculous thing I’ve read. “Cal’s too stubborn and arrogant to win more games.” Do you actually BELIEVE that? If so, there’s no helping you.

• inside info2
      4:16 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

Skinny, did you watch the last game of our season last year? You don’t think Cal had anything to do with us losing that game? Take your blue tinted glasses off.

But let me reiterate, I am glad Cal is our coach and am looking forward to this year. No pressure on the team or the fans. It will be fun.

• theWilkman
      4:26 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, zone would have done a lot to shut down Wisconsin… Cal wants another championship so badly, he would teach his players to shoot free throws underhanded if he thought that would get it. You morons thinking he only sticks to his style and result be damned are so clueless. Each year he’s changed his coaching style based on his team and what he and his coaches think would give them the best edge. The results speak for themselves, and if you don’t think they do, go cheer for another team.

• theSkinny81
      4:32 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

Yes, of course I watched. And no, I don’t think it was his fault. You think he went all that way, 38 games, in the Final Four with a chance to go undefeated, just to lose because he’s stubborn? I remember people saying that in the huddle, Cal kept saying to pound it in to KAT. They didn’t. Its also not Cal’s fault the Harrison’s air-balled two threes. I’ll take Cal’s judgment over some overly analytical a-hole on the comments section of KSR. All day. Every day.

That loss to Wisconsin hurt, but never once did I think “well, this is all Cal’s fault. What a stubborn, arrogant asshole”. Thats ridiculous.
      You need to take your negative glasses off. Have some fun with this. It’s supposed to be fun. IT’S JUST A GAME.

• Captain Obvious
      4:36 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

inside info2 is an idiot. Carry on.

• Dude
      4:49 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

“there is some truth that if he played some zone throughout the year we might have won an extra game or two here or there.”

You mean in the season where we won 38 straight, correct? Do you even UK, bro?

• Inside info2
      4:51 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

You guys are right. My bad. Cal is infallible and above criticism. Every decision he makes is the right one. Everyone loves him and if they don’t they’re trolls.

• J-Dub421
      5:06 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

I don’t remember what Wisconsin’s 3 point shooting percentage was, but it was pretty high. If you think we should play zone against a very good three point shooting team led by a 6’8″ guy and a 7′ guy who both shoot well from the outside, then you’re crazy.

• theWilkman
      5:10 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

Of course he’s not infallible, but if he looks at his team and decides zone isn’t the option, I’m going to go with that over the opinion of some clown in the KSR comments section, which your history of posts clearly marks you as.

• Reality
      5:17 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

And Cal had more top five draft prospects in one year than Syracuse has had in his 39 years! But that’s another story…

• Boheim
      5:29 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

Guess we will never know if Cal could win utilizing a zone. All we know is that he got beat and out coached by a team with vastly inferior athletes that utilized a zone. 🙂

• Ha!
      5:51 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

Aww, well don’t cry after you got called out, info2. 🙁

But seriously, though, why are these two trolls above me posting anywhere near a UK basketball post?

Cal is SEVEN AND ONE against Pitino, won his title first and in half the time, and has had ZERO sex scandals, and these dudes feel they can come and talk shit?

Their level of retardation knows no bounds.
      #Committhem

• Ha!
      5:59 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

Hey “Broheim”, you mean that Wisconsin team that was ranked #2 pretty much all year and had two dudes go in the NBA first round, three overall. Yeah, what a bunch of scrubs.

You know who UK didn’t lose to? An athletic sex scandal ridden team, coached by a Hall of Famer, with two future NBA players, who utilize zones and full court presses, on the road. Bitch. 😉

#L1CWHORE
      #1-7MUSTSUCK
      #WEWONITFIRST

• Uh..
      7:29 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

Dude said that Cal should do something else because he’s paid to win here? Since he arrived we have won more games than anyone else in the country. If he wants to play man, I say we play man.

2. bige
    2:27 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

A 6’10” player isn’t going to be placed to guard a 6’4″ player in the NBA. He may have to switch for a few seconds but that’s about it.

Sort of nullifying 6’10” kid’s advantage having to chase a 6’4″ kid all over the place.

i.e.,Bud Dupree is as fast as many receivers but you don’t have him playing DB.

3. leon singleton
    3:01 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

You are not allowed to zone in the NBA.

• Derpi-Wan KaDerpy
      3:08 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

Yes they are. They used to not be allowed to, but they changed that rule.

• jdarren1963
      3:26 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

Yes, and they changed it several years ago.

4. za
    3:42 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

Lots of people seem to get confused by this..
    Cal runs man because he has the match up at every position in pretty much at every single game he’s coached. You win basketball games by exploiting match ups.

5. James
    3:47 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

Hello Tards – all aboard the hostess ho ho express bound for skank island.

6. john
    4:10 pm October 14, 2015 Permalink

I think the main reason he won’t zone is because zone is built on structure and discipline, which freshman have a hard time with. That being said last year’s team could have played zone no doubt t about it.