Montrezl Harrell is not afraid of Kentucky

“Not at all. No team in America scares me,” said Harrell, when asked earlier this month about the challenge ahead in Kentucky.

Matt Norlander over at CBSSports.com was able to get Louisville’s star player to open up about playing the Cats. It’s from a few weeks back, following Louisville’s win over Indiana, but it’s worth another read today.

As far as how we are against Kentucky, I don’t really get too concerned,” Harrell told Norlander. “We’re going to give them everything we’ve got. No team has really pressured them. There’s no team out there that plays how we play. That’s why I think we have the advantage on people. Everybody can try to pressure and practice to prepare for it, but nobody can run it how we run it. Nobody has been in the condition we have been in. When we get on the floor, you might try to tweak your press offense for it, but there’s no way to prepare for our press.”

“We know those guys play five-in, five-out type thing, but whatever five is in, they’re going to get pressed. We’re not going to take off our press because they’ve got a lot of size. We’re going to make their bigs handle the ball and we’re going to see if their bigs can beat us [that way]. We are going to get after them. For 40 minutes, we’re going to give them as much as they can handle.”

Oh man. Louisville wants to run? Louisville wants Kentucky’s bigs to beat them? Let’s do this. Let’s do this now.

[CBSSports.com]

Article written by Drew Franklin

25 Comments for Montrezl Harrell is not afraid of Kentucky

1. bosshogg24
    11:25 am December 23, 2014 Permalink

Harrell has never played anyone like this UK team only way he can score is to dunk, his seven or eight dunks will mostly be taken away . U of L’s press has never hurt UK in the past neither has Harrell. UK by
    15.

2. BigBlueBoom
    11:33 am December 23, 2014 Permalink

and when he says ‘we are going to get after them for 40 minutes’ he means the rest of the team, bc we all know he’ll be on the bench with foul trouble for 30 minutes.

3. MikeMan
    11:35 am December 23, 2014 Permalink

I don’t think he is ready for the size of UK’s big guys. According to ESPN, he is listed at 6’8, which is equivalent to the size of Poythress, and AP was playing the SF spot for us. Gonna be tough for him to get rolling with multiple guys that are 3-4 inches taller.

4. Willy
    11:36 am December 23, 2014 Permalink

Isn’t he just too special for words!!!!!!

5. Bluebloodtoo
    11:46 am December 23, 2014 Permalink

I’m all for being competitive and playing with emotion, but keep those elbows to yourself big boy.

6. Thundercats
    11:59 am December 23, 2014 Permalink

Why is he so unattractive?

• BigBlueBoom
      12:05 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

It’s the #L1C4 effect. Ruins your life, starting with your mind, then goes on to your physical appearance.

7. BTownUKFan
    12:01 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

I heard Pat Adams is going to officiate the game and Harrell will have two fouls before the game tips off. Seriously, Pitino is busy trying to put together a game plan without Harrell tonight and then he has three days to put together two game plans for Kentucky’s blue and white squads. I think we’ll see lots of turn-overs and bad shots by the dirty birds and they go down hard.
    GO CATS !!

• Ken Grizzle
      1:23 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

Of all the referees I’d hate to see Pat Adams leads the list. The man is horrible. KAT will have two fouls before the first substitutions.

• BTownUKFan
      2:04 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

Adams was the referee that got ‘inadvertently’ punched by Harrell. I doubt any of them will forget that any time soon.

8. Mc12
    12:09 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

I just hate how they get away with hand-checking and holding the entire way up the court. I have never understood how some refs allow it. It’s not going to matter though.

9. Realme
    12:19 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

Bless his little L1C4-infected heart. He’s really trying.

10. nato45
    12:21 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

Said it before I will say it again…hackin’-est bunch of hackin’ slappin’ players ever to play the game. Foul until the refs get whistle fatigue. Theory is “they can’t call them all”!!!

11. RexRox
    12:50 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

How’d that work out for you last year, Trez?? 😉

12. sonnyg333
    1:00 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

He sure is afraid of Western Kentucky or he wouldn’t have started a fight their…LOL

UK will kick his ass back into the locker room..

13. Trevor
    2:58 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

I seriously think Montrez has not watched a UK game all year. He said he is going to make the bigs handle the ball. At least two of our Bigs (WCS and Lyles) handle the ball just fine and a third Dakari won’t try to handle the ball. I admire his fire but seriously dude!

14. BeastCat
    3:00 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

I’m ready for the Cats to beat down that ghetto @ss team. And I guarantee you the Big Blue Mist Gets In on Saturday.

15. Rixter
    3:19 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

EVERYBODY must read this. it’s really unbelievable. (spoiler alert: Montrezl went to Bowling Green and got jumped by 5 guys. Using his self-defense skills, he made it out alive!)

• UKfaninLou
      3:37 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

They’re saying that stuff on scouts too. He was goaded into it and big bad WKU instigated the whole thing. They say they will never go back to Diddle again after being treated that way. Lol. They also say Jay Bilas is defending Harrell’s actions and that there was no punch. He punched, just didn’t connect and then tried to strike again on the back swing. Makes no sense to me. Bilas usually has good sense. He swears the proof is in The video which I’ve watched numerous times. Maybe I’m watching through blue colored glasses but the guy was not hit in the nads and completely lost control. Whatever. I had never read their boards before. So many delusional idiots.

16. MIDDAY
    3:30 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

We don’t have Bigs. We have 7 foot point guards.

• Trevor
      3:37 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

LOL….Exactly!! 🙂

17. MIDDAY
    3:31 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

LOL, Russ. Desperate to get hits on your blog?

18. HanOfTheBluegrass
    4:58 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

Our bigs will dominate theirs both inside and on the break, but if the refs let Louisville press the way they like (by handchecking/hacking the whole time), it’ll be a tough game.

• RexRox
      5:33 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

I disagree that if the refs ‘let them play’ that the Cats will have a hard time dealing with that. Cal has complained enough about that type of officiating in the past that it’s a given that he will be prepared for it. We are deeper than they are, so what’s the problem?

The more I try to analyze this game, the more I feel that the Cats win big.

• blubo
      5:56 pm December 23, 2014 Permalink

i can’t see any team having much success pressing a team as big and athletic as these cats. if they do it should be a big day for us in the paint. i don’t think the refs are going to ‘let’em play’ after what happened saturday at wku. look for lots of fouls to be called early on both sides. turdnals are probably going to make it an ugly game. in the end another double digit win.