Monday’s Top 10: Louisville week is finally here

cz7cotmw8aarh2y

Greetings, friends. I’m back from Vegas after one of the most fun weekends I can remember, so pardon me if I’m a little sleepy this morning. Not only were we treated to the best regular season game I’ve witnessed, hanging out with the BBN at adult Disney World was ridiculously fun. Shoutout to all the Kentucky fans I met; we certainly had a good time, didn’t we? Let’s power through this Monday. We’ll do it together.

Thankfully, there’s a lot of news to keep us occupied, especially with Wednesday’s showdown with Louisville looming. Let’s run through today’s agenda.

1. The Louisville game is only a few days away

I don’t know about you guys, but it feels like Madness was yesterday. This season is flying by, and Kentucky’s thrilling win over North Carolina helped recapture some of the mojo lost after the Cats took an L to UCLA a few weeks back. Personally, given Kentucky’s success this season, the football team’s upset of the Cards, and all of the drama going down on Floyd Street, it feels like there’s a little bit of the “things are going too well right now, aren’t they?” fear/karma, but I feel better than ever about Wednesday’s game at the Yum Center. We’ll preview the game ad nauseam between now and then, but the matchups definitely favor the Cats, and I just don’t see how Louisville keeps up with us, especially after Malik Monk’s performance for the ages.

2. Prediction: Malik Monk wins SEC Player of the Week

Speaking of Monk, there’s no way he doesn’t win SEC Player of the Week, right? Monk’s 47 points are the most in a single game by a UK Freshman ever and the sixth most by a Kentucky Wildcat in the program’s storied history. Making things even better was Monk’s game-winning three, which resulted in one of the most gleeful celebrations by Kentucky fans ever. Vegas wasn’t ready for us.

3. ICYMI, the players celebrated by singing carols at the Lodge

Thank God they’re good at basketball, right?

4. Where will Kentucky end up in the polls?

Right now, the Cats are ranked 6th in the AP poll and 7th in the Coaches’ Poll. Where will they be after a win over 7/6 North Carolina? Find out around noon.

5. Forget to record the game like me?

Thankfully, CBS Sports Network will replay Saturday’s game at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. ET today, so set that DVR. Here are some highlights to tide you over until then:

6. Troll of the Day: Adam Lucas

Most of the Carolina fans I encountered in Vegas handled the loss with class, but not Adam Lucas, a columnist on the Tar Heels’ official website. Lucas turned in the most hypocritical, butt-hurt take on what was an amazing game by both teams with this article, in which he implies that somehow, Calipari is lesser than Roy because he wore jeans to the postgame presser and that Kentucky cheats even though UNC is the one under NCAA investigation for academic fraud:

You can hate the game because the opponent was Kentucky and being in the same building with them reminds you of exactly how differently things work in Lexington. John Calipari arrived at his postgame press conference with his tie off, top two buttons on his shirt unbuttoned, and having changed into blue jeans. There are not two top-level programs in America right now that arrive at the end result off the court more differently than Carolina and Kentucky.

I’ll remind you again that post is on UNC’s official website, GoHeels.com. Absolutely pathetic. I’d rather link Jeff Goodman than that drivel.

7. Jarred Vanderbilt has Kentucky in his final four

The five-star small forward released his final four last night and Kentucky made the cut, along with North Carolina, Oregon, and TCU. Vanderbilt, De’Aaron Fox’s former AAU teammate, visited Kentucky for Madness and the Cats seem to have the momentum right now, leading his Crystal Ball with 44% of the predictions.

8. Eddie Gran will talk to the media after practice today

Basketball has taken center stage the past week, but the Tax Slayer Bowl is only eleven days away. The football team has practice this afternoon, after which Eddie Gran will speak to the media. Tune in to the site this evening for a full recap.

9. Part three of Freddie Maggard’s Georgia Tech glossary will be posted tonight

Check the site around 7:30 or 8 to read Freddie’s latest breakdown of the Yellow Jackets’ flex bone offense. I’ve never been more grateful for Freddie’s ability to take something complex and explain it in terms I can understand.

10. Frontier Airlines encountered the wrath of the BBN yesterday

Yesterday was a tough day to travel, with several delays and cancellations across the country, specifically those trying to get home from Vegas. I know several fans who had to stay an extra night in Sin City because their flights were cancelled, many of them through Frontier. Frontier encountered the wrath of the BBN when they inexplicably canceled a flight from Cincinnati to Phoenix, which left the Mercer County Lady Titans basketball team scrambling to try to find a way across the country to participate in prestigious Nike Tournament of Champions. Larry Vaught has the complete story, which will leave you furious and hopefully unwilling to give Frontier any of your money from now on.

The guys are traveling back from Vegas, so our old friend Big EZ is stepping in on the radio show, which starts in an hour. Plenty of time to get some more coffee, or in my case, tea.

16 Comments for Monday’s Top 10: Louisville week is finally here

1. wildcatrobby
    9:27 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

“Hate the game. Of course. You just watched Malik Monk score 47 points on 18-of-28 shooting and an absurd 8-of-12 from the three-point line. Carolina tried man-to-man, Carolina tried zone, Carolina tried everything short of tackling him–a tactic the Wildcats used on occasion–and nothing worked.”

Tackling?????? Really???? Dude is salty 🙂

2. UK Big Bored Update
    9:27 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

The Turd Heels are a joke.
    Willfully committed academic fraud for 20 plus years.
    Ole Roy “Huckleberry Hound” Williams is an arse.

3. UK Big Bored Update
    9:31 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

GO CATS!

BEAT the SNOT out of little brother and their mentor pRick Cheatino.

4. runningunnin.454
    9:39 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Two buttons unbuttoned?
    Did Cal throw his coat in a player’s face?

5. SanDiegoCats
    9:48 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

I can’t find where they are replaying the game today.

• Mathlete
      9:52 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

CBS Sports Classic, it’s not a standard cable package channel so you might not have it

• Stump
      11:31 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Time Warner is airing it on channel 968 in Lexington right now.

6. Mathlete
    9:51 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

I’m pretty confident that Adam Lucas didn’t really watch that game, otherwise he’d have noticed that:

– that UNC made as many FTs (21) as UK attempted all night, so the refs weren’t exactly swallowing their whistles on NC’s offensive end
    – that UNC was outrebounded on Saturday for the first time all year and that threw them off their game
    – that Williams’ tantrum technical basically made the difference in the game by the end
    – that the refs were willing to overlook an obvious traveling call on the final possession to give UNC a chance to tie the game up (good for the refs for staying out of the way of the game, by the way)

Sorry your team lost, but someone had to. See you in March!

7. J-Dub421
    10:09 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Hark, is that Wynyard Claus I see?

8. oddthomas
    10:14 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

What channel is this on DISH Network. Please help as storm coverage knocked about a third of my game. Thanks

• CatBlue in LR
      11:52 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Kudos to our affiliate in Little Rock for holding off until the end of the game before breaking in with weather coverage. (That’s a sentence I never thought I’d write, by the way.) Two seconds after the final horn, they cut in with the weather guy.

9. Rain1940
    10:43 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

TT, I admire and enjoy your writing but the little you quoted from the UNC writer was misleading for his article. I read the entire article and Luca is very complimentary of UK’s team and players. His comment about how things are done at UK don’t reference cheating but the one and done rule where you don’t get to see players develop and be more of the community. Count me as one that doesn’t like that rule either. Only because Cal is a great recruiter does it work at UK. The same can be said for Coach K at Duke.

One commenter said that Roy William was an arse. That applies to the commenter. Roy Williams is an excellent basketball recruit that is passionate about his team and does no worse than Cal or any other good coach. As for dress, Cal is more leisure than some that prefer to be more professional.

The image of UK is damaged more by immature fans and writers than anything else. Slamming ever opponent is petty and immature, no matter one’s age. Enjoy a good game with very talented opponents and appreciate that they want to win and work as hard as the players at UK.

Go ahead and blast at me but once you’ve lived as many years as I, you will see enjoyment is much better than petty remarks and “hate”.. Time to beat the Cards.

10. serdi
    10:53 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Adam Lucas is the typical North Carolina person that all of us 50 years and older have been listening to all of our lives. We are inferior in every way. We really haven’t won more national championships than they have because all of Rupp’s were in the 40’s and 50’s and that does not count….except for the one that NC won in 1950 under Frank McGuire. We have never stopped cheating (even though it has been over a quarter and one-half century since we were hammered by the NCAA. They have always been above it all…That has all been shattered now regardless if the NCAA lets them walk which they will. The arrogance to accuse us or anybody else of cheating is the ultimate elitist, arrogant, above reproach true North Carolina fan. That is why to me and many of my era, North Carolina is the ultimate rival. I will never want to beat anybody more than them. There is no one I hate losing to more them them.

• RealCatsFan
      11:02 am December 19, 2016 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more! I have to throw Duke into that category as well – mainly because if the NCAA truly enforced the rules fairly, they would have had TWO titles vacated. But they are Duke, so they are untouchable.

11. sincitycat
    1:11 pm December 19, 2016 Permalink

I have hated UNC since 1977 when “Dirty Dean” Smith yelled at Rick Robey in the regional final game. That’s my definition of The Carolina Way…no class or classes.