Mitch Barnhart tells KSR he believes Calipari will end his career at UK

barnhart-jones-lemond

After speaking to the media to kick off UK football media day, Mitch Barnhart joined the guys on KSR, where he had an interesting quote about John Calipari. The UK AD told Matt, “I would love to see John Calipari end his career at Kentucky and I think he will.”

Now back to football…

Article written by Drew Franklin

25 Comments for Mitch Barnhart tells KSR he believes Calipari will end his career at UK

1. A.J.
    10:34 am August 8, 2014 Permalink

Mitch Barnhart is the man! Keep us headed in the right direction boss…We are UK!!!

2. Kevin C.
    10:39 am August 8, 2014 Permalink

In college, most definitely. But, if Blatt can’t get the Cavs to the playoffs this year, and he gets the boot, I won’t be shocked if Cal jumps at an opportunity to coach Lebron and Co.

• Col. Private
      5:38 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

Correct…his COLLEGE coaching career. Mitch knew what he was saying and he didn’t say that Coach cal may end up coaching in the NBA in the not-so-distant future.

3. guindage
    10:42 am August 8, 2014 Permalink

Does Matt have an Alabama shirt on??

• UKBlue1!
      10:51 am August 8, 2014 Permalink

Atlanta Braves

4. UKBlue1!
    10:50 am August 8, 2014 Permalink

This is one of the smartest things Brainfart has ever said. Hopefully, he will do everything he can to keep Cal at UK. Lord knows we don’t want him hiring another BCG.

• UKfan
      11:29 am August 8, 2014 Permalink

You are welcome to change allegiance to the dirty birds to the north. Classlessness seems to be their mantra.

• bigbluetruth
      11:59 am August 8, 2014 Permalink

Mitch has done a great job, I guess for those who don’t like him he should wear a turtleneck and hire scum.

• robots
      12:14 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

those with legitimate concerns must be louisville fans? expressing that barnhart must do everything to keep cal is what louisville fans want? they are 1-6 against him and they come to this site to troll for his job security? something doesn’t add up here.

• UKBlue1!
      1:55 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

To my 3 responses……I am a Calipari fan. Season ticket holder for many years in football. I don’t have a lot of faith in the athletic director. I know its hard to believe but if it hadn’t been for several of the former players…aka Pratt and Casey we wouldn’t have Calipari. The athletic director seriously missed on promoting Joker. No matter how you slice it he shouldn’t have hired GCG. I also feel Tubby should have been fired 2-3 years before he left for Minnesota. (I’ll remind you that he was fired from Minnesota.)

• UKfan
      2:46 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

I will remind you that you have to resort to name calling our own which tells me what type of person you truly are. BCG was a hot commodity at the time in young coaches at the time UK hired him. Who could have predicted that he would have a meltdown? Tubby’s record speaks for itself: I am guessing that you are one of the fans who said that Tubby won with Pitino’s players (stupidity at its finest). Pratt and Casey don’t have the authority to hire coaches. I am sure that certain influential people also wanted UK to hire Petrino as well. See how that works?

• Reality check
      4:38 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

I see how it works. You’re argument is lame and his isn’t. Barnhart made some major bonehead moves that set the football program back half a decade. And if not for getting Cal it would’ve done the same to the basketball program. And you’re stupidity at it’s finest if you don’t know that Tubby did win with the players Pitino recruited. Although I don’t think that says anything negative about Tubby. And you’re right Tubbys last 3 years do speak for themselves. He should have been forced out or fired long before he left. See how that really works?

• bigbluetruth
      6:53 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

Reality Check is a complete idiot. Tubby won with a starting five of Sheppard, Padget, Jonathan Davis, Wayne Turner and Muhammad. A much less talented starting 5 than Rick lost with in 97. Also, Tubby went 6-4 against Rick with players he recruited not slime bag rick. Look at their winning % in games decided by 5 pts or less and Rick sucks. Also, the Joker hire as head coach was done above Mitch’s head. I guess your also one of those fools that could play better than Aaron, Andrew or JR last year. And I’m sure you’d be better than Poy this year. Go root for LOSERVILLE, your not smart enough to be a member of BBN.

5. theWilkman
    10:57 am August 8, 2014 Permalink

Cavs will make the Eastern Conference Finals on talent alone. I think that’s enough for them to give Blatt more than 1 year. Barring some kind of freak occurance he stays put and so does Cal.

6. kyle heavy
    11:11 am August 8, 2014 Permalink

Yes he will eventually end his career at UK and then start a new career at another basketball entity.

• stevem
      1:27 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

You’ve correctly hit on the Barnhart mindset. Now that he has officially stated he thinks Cal will stay, there remains little doubt that Cal will in fact be leaving after this year.

7. Brew Darker
    11:17 am August 8, 2014 Permalink

What else would he say? Its his Job Calipari saved! He would be stupid to say otherwise really, that’s just stating the obvious…

• UKfan
      2:48 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

Basketball only fan?

8. What is Matt thinking in that photo
    12:05 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

He’s talking to Mitch in Commenwealth Stadium. His shirt is blue but that “A” looks awfully Crimson Tide-y. Anyone else think so?

• Chipper
      12:37 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

Atlanta Braves-y.

9. Sammydog
    1:50 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

Way too much is made of the Cal Lebron thing. Don’t think Cal’s goal in life is to coach Lebron. I think the evidence shows Cal would much prefer to develop 100 Lebrons at UK. Color me not worried.

• catlogic15
      3:27 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

And the reality is that Lebron would actually be coaching Cal on how to coach Lebron and the rest.
      Don’t think that Cal’s ego would allow him to end his career with a superstar telling him what to do, NBA Championship or not.

10. james gover
    4:19 pm August 8, 2014 Permalink

If you read his book, Cal makes it clear that what he want to do is what he is currently doing: preparing young men to live life to the full extent of their talent. Coaching a pro team is not the place to do that. If he stays at UK long enough, he can win more NCAA championships that Coach Rupp and he can put UK ahead of UCLA in tournament championships.

• Hood for three
      8:39 am August 9, 2014 Permalink

Hit your free throws and he already has two.

11. Nach
    3:04 pm August 9, 2014 Permalink

In college ball the coach is the star unlike the NBA where the players are everything. Not many people can name more than two NBA coaches and the team they play for. Cal has a big ego and hardly a week goes by in the off season that he isn’t in the national news. Almost every day during the season. I can’t see him as second fiddle to a bunch of guys making more money than he is and getting more ink.