A Omaha, Nebraska a detective has released findings from the investigation involving referee John Higgins and the potentially threatening messages Higgins received from Kentucky fans following UK’s Elite Eight loss to North Carolina.
After spending 80 hours examining countless written posts and over 800 voicemails, Sarpy County Sheriffs Detective Matt Barrel found seven messages that could be considered a crime. All of the messages included some sort of violent threat. Heavily edited for WOWT-TV viewers, here is what remains:
1. “You should put a gun in your mouth and blow your won fricking brains out.”
2. “If I ever see you in person I’m going to smack the taste out of your fricking mouth.”
3. “You’re going to pay buddy.”
4. “You enjoy your life before somebody kills you.”
5. “Hey you hear that garbage truck in the background? Wish you were in it personally you **.”
6. “I hope the hell John Higgins falls off a roof and spends the rest of his life in a wheelchair.”
7. “I hope you all get in a plane crash and die.”
The detective has made copies of the voicemails, attached transcripts and his report and sent them to the originating jurisdictions, “primarily in Kentucky.” Prosecutors from those jurisdictions will decide whether or not to press charges.
Seeing the messages written is not hardly as powerful as hearing them uttered over the phone. You can listen to the voicemails in the WOWT video package.