Memphis weatherman isn’t a fan of Calipari

Joey Sulipeck of Fox 13 in Memphis took a break from reading the weather to rant about John Calipari’s comments from Cal’s Hall of Fame press conference.

In case you missed it, Cal spoke highly of his time at UMass and Memphis, but compared those jobs to sitting at the little table with plastic utensils, and now he’s “carving the turkey” at Kentucky.

Sulipeck leaked salt all over the news when asked about it:

Sulipeck’s full comments, via LostLettermen.com:

​“It was a cheap shot. What he just said was ignorant and cheap. He’s a spin doctor. I hope somebody YouTubes this and sends it to him. That cat is a spin doctor, snake oil salesman that will turn anything in his direction. To come in here and talk about ‘how much I love Memphis and I support all these charities,’ please. When we play at the level we’ve played for as long as we have, Memphis is not a one-and-done school. “Say you’re at the kid table with plastic utensils? Give me a plastic utensil and walk by me, Calipari. You don’t demean an entire program and say it’s the kid table and plastic utensils, got history like the Memphis program. Come on.”

Did a weatherman just threaten to stab Cal with a spork?

Easy there, Joe Joe. Play nice or we’ll take away your mac and cheese and juice.

FOX13 News, WHBQ FOX 13

Article written by Drew Franklin

17 Comments for Memphis weatherman isn’t a fan of Calipari

1. douggercats
    11:25 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

Dude’s name is actually Frank.

• cats42301
      12:08 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

Who are you referring to?

• douggercats
      2:50 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

As in, “We don’t listen to Frank.”

2. RealCatsFan
    11:27 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

the truth hurts. Memphis has been to, what, 3 Final Fours? Never won a championship. = Kids table.

3. Musehobo
    11:28 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

I like Cal but this dude is 100% correct. No need to belittle Memphis just to stroke our egos

4. DC_CatFan
    11:32 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

If I was a Memphis fan, this would bother me too… But I’m not, so whatever I guess.

5. ClutchCargo
    11:54 am April 10, 2015 Permalink

If they had bothered to actually watch the entire interview, it is his explanation as to why he was able to get voted into the hall of fame. And he didn’t single out Memphis, he was just pointing out that it’s a lot more difficult to get recognized unless you are at one of the high profile schools.

6. ukbradstith
    12:02 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

This dude needs to watch the entire interview with Cal. It’s called “context” and it seems like people today just can’t grasp the concept.

• cats42301
      12:19 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

I was born in Kentucky and live here now but I actually lived in Memphis from 1990-2009. I always got a laugh when I would listen Memphis (St.) Tigers fans talk about this big time history they had in basketball. Before Cal got there their claim to fame was a final four appearance in 73 and another final four appearance in 84. That’s it and they claim to have this big basketball history. Cal got them an NIT national championship (as Tigers fans called it) and a runner up to Kansas that was later nullified because Derrick Rose had someone take his SAT. What a history! They went from loving Cal to viciously hating him overnight!

7. waveydavey
    12:20 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

I guess the truth hurts….when you’re sitting on the outside looking in…well..that’s pretty much Memphis…and “the kiddie table” is a pretty accurate portrayal of where they are.

It was a metaphor…and taken a little out of context as well. The lady on the left seemed to “get it”. The KFC Colonel Sanders wannabe in the bowtie doesn’t understand that denial isn’t the river that runs through Memphis……

8. new dreamer
    12:30 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

Just a simple metaphor with no harm intended. Same as comparing UK football to someone like Alabama.

Some Memphis fans will never forgive Cal for leaving for UK no matter how many good things he did for the university and city in the time he lived there. Cal did not leave Memphis for the money involved, but for the rich tradition as one of the greatest , if not the greatest college basketball program in history. If the people in Memphis don’t see that, get real.

9. WillySpankit
    12:52 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

“I would never take him back!”

Ask Cleveland how that went with LeBron.

10. PaintItBlue
    12:53 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

He looks like Cal in that top picture. Sour grapes, not much more to say…

11. memphis wildcat
    1:17 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

I took it as a complement to memphis fans…most of them don’t use eating utensils – J/K. Seriously, they deserved the jab as most of them got more joy out of UK’s one loss this year than they have out of any single Memphis win in the last 6 years. They are delusional on their spot in college basketball.

I will ask this question: If Stoops were to leave and coach at tOSU, FSU, Nebraska, etc..and said they were at the big table but UK was at the little table – how would we take it? I would not like the comment but at least I would understand it. Memphis fans are CLUELESS

12. I Love It
    4:02 pm April 10, 2015 Permalink

Hardoooooo

Am I the only one who refuses to take anyone over the age of 15 that wears a bow tie seriously?

13. mcp157