Memphis interested in John Calipari, not that Memphis

What’s that? You want a new Calipari rumor? Well today’s your lucky day, my friend!

According to Brian Geltzeiler of something called a HoopsCritic.com, the Memphis Grizzlies are reportedly interested in John Calipari. Geltzeiler tweets:

“Source tells me that Memphis has an interest in John Calipari and are gauging through back channels if that interest is mutual, however if a Cal pursuit were to fail for Memphis, Dave Joerger is very much in the mix to remain as the head coach. Wallace is a fan…¬†I’ve also been told that Pera doesn’t plan on skimping on a financial offer for Calipari. Should be quite substantial.” [@hoopscritic]

Memphis currently has a coach in Joerger, and we’re currently tired of hearing reports like this. But the offer should be quite substantial, he says. Good luck with that, I guess.

Article written by Drew Franklin

34 Comments for Memphis interested in John Calipari, not that Memphis

1. Duuuuuude
    1:56 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

Neither of my sources, Rex Chapman or Michael Wilbon can confirm. I will await an announcement from them before lighting my hair on fire and running through a dynamite factory.

2. Brow
    2:00 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

His gf lives in Memphis. So, could be interesting.

• UKBlue1!
      2:10 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

Who?

• Blah, Blah, Blah
      2:12 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

Sure, start unfounded rumors to try and discredit Cal. Meanwhile, your team’s favorite coach (I assume) is a known adulterer, abortion supporter, and sleazy enough to bang said mistress in public. Not all coaches have morals straight from the gutter, just yours.

3. brain
    2:07 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

A lot of teams are interested in Cal. He’s not going anywhere.

4. Pewp Tewth
    2:12 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

Keep dreaming.

5. Word on tha Street
    2:15 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

Memphis is looking to offer Cal a lucrative contract that includes President of Basketball Operations, GM, and Head Coach similar to what Stan Van Gundy just received. Cal would have complete control of all basketball decisions, personnel, and coaching. Yikes

• Joe Diesel
      2:18 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

That sounds like a negative to me. Who would want that headache…….and have to live in Memphis

• Rae
      3:21 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

He still liked the place when he left. But he’s a pariah now.

6. Wilson Pickett
    2:21 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

Memphis has Gibson’s donuts, Rendezvous BBQ, Mud Island, and Orange Mound. What’s in your wallet?

• Is that supposed to mean something?
      2:26 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

Never heard of any of those things. LA couldn’t tempt Cal to leave, and you think Memphis is? You people who want Cal to leave so badly are just looking more and more sad every day.

• Wilson Pickett
      4:43 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

I left out Graceland and the proximity to Arkansas.

7. The Loco Pollo
    2:26 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

Though it’d be a little bit like going home again, and if what #5 says is true it’d be hard to pass up, I just can’t see Cal leaving the group of guys he has coming back and coming in out to dry. I also think if/when he jumps to the NBA, it’ll be to join one of his guys (Rose, Wall, Cousins, MKG, Davis, etc) or Lebron.

Man, he looks about 15 years younger in that pic, not the 7 or so that it’s been.

• Years
      2:28 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

Yeah, Cal was hired in 2009. In 5 years he looks like he’s aged about a decade.

8. Mc
    2:30 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

My co-worker graduated from Memphis and said that city absolutely hates him. Maybe they’d welcome him back idk.

• Didn't used to
      3:23 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

Yeah they hate him cause he left. They begged him to stay and loved him there. But he is not leaving and won’t even consider this.

• Mc
      4:35 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

I agree they hate him because he left. They also hate him because of how he left.

9. Rick Pitino
    2:32 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

Can I come back if he takes the job??? Pretty please? I need to get out of this ghetto ass town. I nearly died on the Waterson the other day when a gang banger (who looked a lot like Chane, now that I think about it) pulled a gun on me!

10. Crazy8s
    2:33 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

If it didn’t require Cal leaving Kentucky, I would actually like to see this. University of Memphis fans (yes, they exist) bash Cal like crazy. It would be so much fun to see the backflips fans do to explain away their Cal hate (during the Kentucky years) and cheer him on with their NBA franchise. It would be a lot of fun to see if Cal could get a lot of his former players through free agency. An NBA team that would serve as a traveling alumni game team would be pretty awesome. All that to say, I hope Cal never leaves. I just take comfort in knowing he’d never leave for anything less than the NBA (and a good team at that).

• Memphis UK Cat
      8:10 am May 21, 2014 Permalink

LMAO, this is so true!

11. Larry
    2:34 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

I cannot see him leaving this team http://straighthoops.com/one_and_not_done.html Not for any NBA team – such a good thing going in Lexington

12. Dutch
    2:39 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

He knows his way around in Memphis! I say,don’t let the door hit him in the ass as he leaves Lexington! I’m so tired of all this Cal going somewhere every week! Hell,let him go! Get a coach that wants to be here!

• Crazy8s
      2:47 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

I’m assuming this is a troll comment, but I’ll entertain it. What makes you think Cal doesn’t want to be here? This speculation is that Memphis has interest in Cal, not that Cal has an interest in Memphis. NBA teams are interested in Coach K; Does that mean he doesn’t want to be at Duke? NBA teams are interested in Tom Izzo; Does that mean he doesn’t want to be at Michigan State? I’m just thrilled we have a coach NBA teams want.

• Joe
      3:01 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

You mean like Billy Gillispie, right…a coach so poor that he clings to the job like a barnacle, rather than a successful coach who has other opportunities & offers available to them?

I guess you married/date the proverbial ugly woman/guy because they’re grateful for the attention? Not too secure in your life are you?

Or do you stay at your job, sure you are great at it, & other firms might like to hire you, possibly at better pay, but you’d stay at your current job, right? Let Cal live by your rules or you live by the rules you set for Cal, either one.

• Jordan
      3:02 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

Do you think whatever coach comes here next, or in the future isn’t going to be looked at for other/better jobs? Did you act this way when Boston wanted Pitino, the Atlanta Hawks wanted Tubby, hell even Oklahoma State wanted Billy G!! If you succeed at UK, it’s presumed that you can succeed at a higher level and that’s why every NBA team with a coaching vacancy wants Cal. He can’t help that his name is mentioned. I’m sure he loves it. I’d soak it in if all the pro teams wanted me too

13. Rhea
    3:13 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

I honestly don’t think he would survive. Is he able to even enter the city safely? Grizzlies fans are also University of Memphis fans, at least a few.

14. BobTinKY
    3:13 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

I guess success breeds this stuff, but man this reminds me of the Pitino years… Every year it was the same thing…

15. Rae
    3:19 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

Grizzlies fans are also Tigers fans, so I doubt this would happen without riots. Pretty sure they still hate him.

16. Please
    6:49 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

Fan sentiment turns on a dime. Hopefully he isn’t going anywhere but should he leave for Memphis they would give him a parade and a new key to the city since they changed the locks.

17. trevor2390
    6:57 pm May 20, 2014 Permalink

The rumors popping up around Memphis right now because of the front office shake up are ridiculous. Don’t take this rumor serious at all unless some of the more local people bring it up. The Grizzlies are my favorite team in all of sports, so I am obsessing about this stuff constantly right now. So far no one with any credibility in Memphis doesn’t even consider this a real story.

18. Jjjjjjj
    9:09 pm May 22, 2014 Permalink

To you who thinks it will be fun to watch us memphians suddenly have a change of heart towards calipari, you are completely mistaken. Most of us will ignore how much we hate him for cruelly abandoning our city after racking up charges for our team, but only because we love the grizzlies and Memphis. No one will be happy about him. In my opinion, the grizzlies are more a part of Memphis than any other team is a part of their city. Crime legit goes down when we are in the playoffs. If you have a grizzlies shirt on, you are friends with anyone no matter what part of town you are from or what race you are. This is how things were with the Memphis tigers when calipari bolted. At best he will be tolerated if he returns. But Pera doesn’t seem concerned with public opinion. Or anyone’s opinion really he prefers to fire anyone who disagrees

19. Mystic Blue
    10:00 pm May 22, 2014 Permalink

To: Jjjjjjj (Post 18)

I know of one person who wants him to move back here, a Seniorita living in Harbortown.

• Mystic Blue
      10:46 pm May 22, 2014 Permalink

Big Blue Nation, for the last five years your Coach has been visiting our fine city on a regular basis to see his Seniorita.

• Mystic Blue
      9:55 am May 23, 2014 Permalink

I am being kind to call her “Seniorita”. The other names she is called in Memphis aren’t suitable for this message board.