McCarty, Mashburn, Delk and Dunkin’ Donuts

IMG_0448

My first day officially on the job has started with a bang.  I spent my morning hanging out with some Wildcat Legends at the opening of Jamal Mashburn’s newest Dunkin’ Donuts, located inside Kennedy’s bookstore.

Surprisingly, the place wasn’t insanely crowded.  Fans got pictures, autographs and conversations with some of the coolest Cats from the 90’s without having to stand in a line or fight for their attention.  Boston Celtics assistant, Walter McCarty, was repping his team while taking some trash from his old buddy, Alan Cutler, “Make sure you get all of the gray in his beard,” he told his photographer.  I talked to Tony Delk for about five minutes.  Instead of talking about his glory days or Cal’s new team, we talked football.  Delk is pleased with the progress of the program’s facilities, and excited to see what Patrick Towles can do in his second season as quarterback.

Even though there was a superstar cast, the show-stopping real MVP of the day was Jerry Tipton.  Yes, THAT Jerry Tipton.  Jerry wasn’t there to scribble a story about Mashburn’s store, but he did have some unfinished business with Mash.  After collecting dust for 22 years in the Herald-Leader’s office, Mashburn finally received his plaque as the 1993 Kentucky Sportsman of the Year.

IMG_0453

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

9 Comments for McCarty, Mashburn, Delk and Dunkin’ Donuts

1. KevinM
    11:21 am August 17, 2015 Permalink

Typical Tipton approach to get into the middle of something UK.

2. DavidP19
    11:33 am August 17, 2015 Permalink

If somebody has an accurate list of the number of vartous franchises that Mash owns, I would appreciate your posting it here. Just curious. It’s good ammunition against the anti UK faction. Thanks.

• DavidP19
      11:34 am August 17, 2015 Permalink

* various

3. J-Dub421
    11:40 am August 17, 2015 Permalink

Mashburn and Delk are two of my favorite Wildcats of all time. I’m sure many others feel the same. Great players and great dudes.

4. Duuuuuude
    12:05 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Has Tipton given up his yellow legal pad for an iPad now? (albeit an iPad 2)

5. UKGrad83
    12:10 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Info is from 2010, so a bit dated. At that time, he had 34 Outbacks and 37 Papa John’s franchises, along with “some car dealerships”.

• za
      12:25 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Plus he operates the Dunkins in Central KY (3 Lexington and 1 Danville locations)

6. The Real LindaS
    4:34 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

I hope they have something healthy to eat there also! Mash my fav. When Jamal was a child he saw a man carrying a briefcase. He wanted to carry a briefcase when he was older. Basketball was the means to his end. He is doing now what he wanted to always do. Happy for him and the other two.

7. Catsrus
    7:38 pm August 17, 2015 Permalink

Jamal Mashburn is a true hero to me. When you think about it, Jamal was RP’s first big recruit and got it all started for us. I recall seeing the story in the Cincy Enquirer and they pointed out the momentous nature of the signing.