McCarty accuser hires high profile attorney, new accusers come forward

A female student accusing former Kentucky  forward and Evansville basketball coach Walter McCarty of sexual assault has hired a high-profile attorney and law firm out of Dallas to represent her in the case. You can Check This Out for more information about pasadena personal injury attorney.

Michelle Simpson Tuegel, a nationally recognized attorney for Title IX representation of students, has taken the case, with her law firm set to investigate the accusations further.

In a statement emailed to the Evansville Courier & Press, Tuegel also added that other women have “come forward” regarding McCarty’s sexual misconduct.

“It’s clear that my client wasn’t the only victim,” says Tuegel. “We have been informed that other women have come forward about McCarty’s sexual misconduct. It’s important that other survivors of this man’s acts know that they’re not alone, and we would encourage them to reach out to someone to report the misconduct. These women deserve to learn and work in an environment free of sexual violence and sexual harassment. My client asks that the community remain supportive of the men’s basketball team, as well as the additional survivors who have come forward.”

McCarty was placed on administrative leave on Dec. 27 for alleged sexual misconduct before being fired on Jan. 21. After the initial accusations, UE counseled McCarty about “inappropriate conduct off the court” before receiving additional reports of alleged misconduct.

“This was the classic power imbalance,” Tuegel wrote in the release. “He was the town sweetheart, grew up in Evansville, returned after a successful NBA career and coached the basketball team to national success. When McCarty saw that the victim was in too vulnerable a position to protest his behavior toward her, he assaulted her. Thankfully, she reached out to a friend for support and the assault was reported to the university.”

Tuegel said the firm is investigating these claims further and has received additional information about others who have come forward to report misconduct.

The Courier & Press claims they left messages with both McCarty’s attorney and the University of Evansville seeking comment, with McCarty’s attorney, Jon Little, previously saying McCarty was “shocked” that Evansville decided to fire him and that he wanted to make “clear to the Evansville community and all supporters that he did not engage in any sexual misconduct or violate the University’s Title IX policy.” Neither Little nor the school provided further comment.

According to the report, Evansville’s external investigation is expected to be completed by the spring. From there, the law firm will make determinations “as to if, who and where we might file civil actions.”

Simpson Tuegel has also represented sexual abuse survivors in high-profile cases such as the Larry Nassar case involving Michigan State, USA Gymnastics and the U.S. Olympic Committee, along with sexual assault survivors at the University of Southern California and clergy abuse survivors connected with the Pennsylvania Grand Jury Report and nationwide, among others.

(Evansville Courier & Press)

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

13 Comments for McCarty accuser hires high profile attorney, new accusers come forward

1. Cletis75
    3:24 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

Damn Walt, you’re in a tight spot! Might wanna R-U-N-N-O-F-T!

2. Good Times
    4:10 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

Can we blame Pitino for this too? lol

• Bluebloodtoo
      5:01 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

That’s as close as I could get to blanking Pitino… lol

3. Bluebloodtoo
    5:01 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

I’m glad to see that abusers like this are getting what they deserve, but I hate that it’s someone we used to love.
    So tell me, cat fans, is this the difference between Calipari and Pitino? I’m sure many will vehemently disagree with me, but that’s what leadership is about… setting the example….

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      5:26 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

It sounds like you already assume he’s guilty. I don’t know if he is or not. However, if he is, then my guess is that yes, he learned a lot from Slickie Rickie.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      5:26 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

But he is also ultimately responsible for his own behavior.

4. Catsby80
    5:12 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

I’m not trying to be insensitive here (and I mean that 100% honestly), but can someone explain to me the origin of the phrase sexual assault survivor? The term survivor implies that there were those who did not survive other instances of sexual assault.. I assume this term is being used synonymously with ‘victim’? I realize this is probably just semantics, but ‘survivor’ just doesn’t feel like the appropriate word to use in this situation.

Regardless of the above, I live in Evansville and it’s going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Some pretty serious allegations being thrown out there.

• satcheluk
      11:04 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Anyone who is gets raped has lived through violent trauma. There is the physical and, often more difficult, the emotional trauma of such a violent assault. What I find more interesting is why a man would question the use of the word survivor. One would think that anyone with an ounce of empathy would not even have this pop into their head. I hope none of your loved ones ever experience this, so you would have a better understanding.

5. antiquefurnitureandmidgets
    6:10 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

It will be interesting to see if anyone pursues criminal charges. If not, it weakens the claims in my opinion.

6. JASUN74
    6:21 pm January 29, 2020 Permalink

I’ll not judge the man and I hope he’s not dumb enough to RAPE someone. If he’s innocent, I hope they will do everything they can to help restore his life. If he’s guilty, I hope they throw the book at him , just like they would anyone else who would do something like that.
    Saying that, I just hope the truth comes out for everyone.

• satcheluk
      11:05 am January 30, 2020 Permalink

Indeed.

7. M.T.Pockets
    11:28 pm January 31, 2020 Permalink

satch, the man is absolutely correct, to call her a survivor insinuates that there were others who did not, and that is certainly not the case. and I might mention you seem to jump to a conclusion that she was raped. no one knows that, but a better assumption might be that if she was raped then there would be criminal charges first and civil after. a guilty conviction would certainly make a larger monetary recovery quicker and easier. I have no problem with the term victim, but survivor ?? sorry, no way…

8. CatFanInLou
    9:38 am February 1, 2020 Permalink

MT-I reject your premise that someone must die in order for someone else to “survive” sexual abuse. Nevertheless, people have died during sexual assaults, and some victims have subsequently committed suicide. Using the term “victim” implies weakness and a lack of agency. By calling someone a “survivor” we can support that person by ascribing strength to them. Do you have a problem with supporting survivors?