Mark Cuban discusses potential presidential run on Coffee with Cal

Tim Heitman/NBAE/Getty Images

Tim Heitman/NBAE/Getty Images

Sunday morning, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban made national headlines when he said he was “keeping the door open” on a potential presidential run.

“I never would have considered it prior to a month ago, but now things are changing rapidly and dramatically,” Cuban told Fox News Sunday host Chris Wallace. “I’m not saying no, but it’s not something I’m actively pursuing. I’m just keeping the door open. … You just don’t know what can happen between now and November.”

Just 24 hours later, Cuban spoke with none other than Kentucky head coach John Calipari about the possibility he makes a run for the United States presidency.

In an appearance on “Coffee with Cal,” Calipari’s brand new weekly Facebook Live video series, Cuban said he “always keeps a door open” and that you “never want to say never” on opportunities as significant as running for president.

“I mean, I don’t know. It’s just one of those things, I’m the type of guy that always keeps a door open because you never want to say never,” Cuban said. “Because, who would have thunk [the COVID-19 pandemic] would happen? This is the ultimate definition of a Black Swan event.”

As he noted in the Fox News interview, there is a significant amount of time between now and November and “any number of things could happen.”

While the odds aren’t great, he does see a need for something different in the world of politics.

“Any number of things could happen between now and the time I’d have to file, so I just want to keep the door open,” Cuban said. “I’d say the probability is low, but again, we’re at a point in time in this country’s history where we need someone who is independent.

“The two party system has let us down, and if it were up to me, there would be no parties. Being a Republican, being a Democrat, it’s not getting the job done. We’re not getting the best candidates. Whether it’s me or someone else, I just think that door needs to be open so we can see who the best presidential and other candidates are instead of just coming from the two big parties.

“I’m not making any promises, I’m not making any predictions, but I’m an entrepreneur. I always like to keep my door open.”

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

11 Comments for Mark Cuban discusses potential presidential run on Coffee with Cal

1. michaelb
    10:15 pm April 13, 2020 Permalink

Cuban has interesting points on how to build the us economy back up. Some ppl are yanking us into the future , Elon , Cuban types are good for advancement

• Urincatland
      3:41 am April 14, 2020 Permalink

US Economy back up? Dude the Economy has been the best it’s ever been until this virus hit. I don’t care who your candidate would be that could keep it booming during a difficult time as this. Trump will have the economy back booming when this crap slows down. Just saying!

• Headhurts
      6:34 am April 14, 2020 Permalink

Stick with shark tank bucket head.

2. dan1965
    1:44 am April 14, 2020 Permalink

I hope Mitch runs myself,after Trumps 4 more years of course ! Lol

• satcheluk
      11:22 pm April 14, 2020 Permalink

Trump is going down in a popular vote landslide, though the electoral college will be closer.

3. friendsofcoal
    3:15 am April 14, 2020 Permalink

Cuban couldn’t beat Bernie.

4. CatManDo
    6:09 am April 14, 2020 Permalink

If Cuban runs he will get killed by the media (figuratively) or killed by the Clintons (literally).

5. IrishCat
    8:56 am April 14, 2020 Permalink

No billionaire is going to fix the mess created by billionaires. When will we learn?

• cats.by.5
      9:25 pm April 14, 2020 Permalink

Cuban is a genuinely good person and while I don’t agree with him on everything, I think he would make a good president. The two party system is broken and I often find myself choosing between the lesser of two evils. Trump has done great with the economy, and that is the sole reason I will be voting for him again (assuming no other legitimate candidates enter the race). But Trump is also a narcissist that can’t keep his foot out of his mouth. I know why he does it, and anyone that thinks Trumps behavior isn’t strategic is just plain ignorant. But Biden will kill the economy, Bernie would try to literally kill America as we know it and move towards communist China (he is open about this). Cuban has his strengths and knows what he doesn’t know. This is the most important quality in a President, in my opinion. He is a real entrepreneur that did not inherit everything, and would build a team around himself made up of people from both sides. Because both sides are right about some things, and neither is right about everything, if you can believe it. Life long politicians that sacrificed any actual beliefs they had long ago in order to win (Hillary was a strong Republican) are the problem. Everything is another piece in the game that is politics to them, with no real concern about the American people.

6. secrick
    9:37 am April 14, 2020 Permalink

Why would anyone vote for this idiot?