Marcus Lee’s Potential Suitors

Lee at potentially his new home back in January, via UK Athletics.

Lee at potentially his new home back in January, via UK Athletics.

Lee at potentially his new home back in January, via UK Athletics.

Marcus Lee could be returning to Rupp Arena.

It’s been just over six hours, yet five schools have already reached out to Lee.  Georgia Tech, Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas and Gonzaga have reached out to Lee, according to Jeff Rabjohns of Rivals. He wouldn’t be eligible to play for Kansas next fall, but it would be interesting to see if he made the trip with the team to Rupp Arena.

Considering Lee wants to be closer to home, Gonzaga is the only early school that makes geographical sense.  The other former Cat to make the move to Spokane, Kyle Wiltjer, did alright for himself, earning WCC Tournament MVP and All-American Honorable Mention honors in his final season.

Lee leaves UK as a contradiction.  He’s the career leader in field goal percentage (66.04%) and last in career free throw percentage (38.83%).

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

25 Comments for Marcus Lee’s Potential Suitors

1. FlatTopsAndBlockedShots
    7:29 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

I’m slightly upset that he is transferring since he will have to sit out a year and then play in his fifth year. Unless he feels uncomfortable at UK it would have made sense to play at UK next season with the team that “would go undefeated” if he came back then transfer for his fifth year as a graduate student to be closer to home.

• Rain1940
      7:52 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Lee only has one year of eligibility left and wouldn’t get enough minutes at UK to develop. This is the best of few options for one of the best young men to play at UK

• Mc12
      8:19 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

You don’t develop in a game as much as you develop in practice.
      He’s had an opportunity to develop against Towns, Wcs, randle, lyles….
      Whether he played 15 min a game next season, or 30, if he doesn’t put in the work at practice, in the gym, on his diet etc….it won’t make a difference.

• FlatTopsAndBlockedShots
      8:30 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Rain1940….please read what Mc12 posted. Mc12 seemingly has a far better understanding than you.

• 25OR624
      8:57 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

I hate it, too. Love the kid. CAL said something the other day that Duke fans took offense to. It was really about this situation. Letting Marcus Lee free. I wish him the best. He has done great things off the court. I thank him for his tenure. However, he will be best served by playing real minutes. Hence the message; hence the transfer. As much pain as this is, and we will see it again, but this is truly in the best interest of the player. Best of luck to you, Marcus Lee.

• Rain1940
      10:56 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Not a better understanding Flattop. My comment was that staying at UK only gave him one year to develop, transferring now gives him two years, one of which can be working on just his weaknesses before he plays his final year of eligibility. I wasn’t insulting you, just correcting your statement.

2. Jaxson
    7:45 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Gonzaga wouldn’t make much geographical since. Spokane is 866 miles away from his home.

• GroundControlToNumber9
      8:19 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Xavier Henry lost roughly 25 million dollars for going to Kansas, Perry Ellis developed a receding hairline and is projected to go 70th after 30 years as a Jayhawk, and Cliff Alexander went undrafted.

Great development Rock Chalk!

• WeareBBN
      8:54 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

And Skal came here as a 1 or 2 pick and is leaving as 10-20 only because this is a weak draft and another year will further show how far away he is. The twins were top picks and are now……All schools and coaches have great ones and bad ones. Sometimes you are just wrong on how good a high school kid is. As for Cal and his players first crap, you cost us a title playing the twins over Book and Ulis yet a guy that gave 3 years you run out of town cause he is not going to be an NBA player….sounds like Cal first to me, wants to boast about how many players he has in the NBA and since Lee won’t make it say see ya later cause you won’t see minutes here.

• Booby Petrino
      8:58 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Ha ha ha this guy ^ saying Cal pushed Lee out. Whew, just when you think it can’t get any dumber in here…

• GroundControlToNumber9
      8:59 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

WeareBBN – Do you want to count NBA draft picks under Cal vs Kansas under Self? It’s been done over and over.

You don’t even know the world you stepped into.

3. leon singleton
    7:50 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

I hope Lee goes to Kansas where he will develop under a good coach.

• GroundControlToNumber9
      8:13 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Leon Singleton thinks Xavier Henry, Perry Ellis, & Cliff Alexander developed under Bill Self.

Uh no…

• Booby Petrino
      9:01 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Bill Self didn’t fail to develop those players. He just ran out of time.

• Larry Pratt
      9:50 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

I thought Leon’s tongue was in his cheek with that one.

4. GroundControlToNumber9
    8:10 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Career leader in Field Goal percentage… 175/265 (66.04%)

He’s 98% on dunks which were at least 75% of those 175.

I wish someone would do a shot chart map of his 265 shots while at UK. It would tell you a lot more about his game. Where are the baby hooks from 3 – 5 feet? The baseline knockdowns from 5-10. The 15 footers from both sides of the free throw line?

They don’t exist. You’ll have to ask him about why that is (and hope he doesn’t point the finger).

• Mc12
      8:22 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Ding ding ding. We have a winner. If I was Lee, I’d say “hey Karl Towns, let’s get to the gym and go one-on-one in the post. I need to work on my weaknesses”

• GroundControlToNumber9
      8:41 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Do the math… I think I’m being reserved with 75% (or 131 shots) of the 175 made shots being dunks.

Let’s also say he made 98% of the dunks.. that’s dunking 131/134 of the 265 shots.

This leaves 44/131 shots that weren’t dunks. To make the percentage drop to 66.04% you’d have to miss 87 while shooting 33.6%.

So his non-dunk field goal percentage is 33.6%. This is what the NBA scouts saw since he didn’t have coaches drawing plays for him to get the lob and point guards friendly enough to feed it. Likely the NBA scouts saw worse than 33%, because now your going against the top 100 players only and not SEC schools.

Seriously… he should carry a tape with the UCLA games on it. He and Poy. They got eaten and most of those kids won’t be playing at the next level.

5. GroundControlToNumber9
    8:23 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Former Kansas big man Cliff Alexander – The consensus top-five recruit ranked ahead of Karl-Anthony Towns and D’Angelo Russell at the beginning of 2015 went undrafted.

Does anyone know what the hell happened to Dorthy?

6. Larry Pratt
    9:54 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Lee is not a basketball player. He has the height, and that’s it. He has one physical attribute. That doesn’t mean he will ever be able to play at a high level (NBA). I’m 6’3, 275 pounds. I’ve always lifted and I’m a big guy. In school, I was funneled to football. I sucked. I had no aptitude for it. Wrestling and boxing, I found, were more to my natural gifts. I hope Marcus can find his sport. Basketball isn’t it.

• GroundControlToNumber9
      10:09 pm May 25, 2016 Permalink

Larry Pratt – Not sure I agree with that statement… “not a basketball player.”

He does have height… and he has timing. But he needs time and a burning desire. 95% of the kids who make it have been playing since they were 7 years old. Willie Cauley Stein is one of the very few who was able to squeak through but he’s 7’0″ 240 with good timing.

Marcus Lee is 6’9″ 211lbs. It’s either going to take an incredible work ethic to get there (1000 shots a day everyday for the next 5 years) developing the consistency that will show in front of scouts or it’s just enjoy the ride and get the degree.

• Larry Pratt
      12:27 am May 26, 2016 Permalink

I stand by my opinion, he’s not a natural basketball player. Of he needs to shoot 1000 shots a day for 5 years to only be consistent, well…

• GroundControlToNumber9
      12:43 am May 26, 2016 Permalink

1000 shots a day for 5 years is what it takes. He started seriously shooting late in life (was a volleyball player). He has to catch up… it’s simply repetition to gain confidence (unless he has a vision problem).

Go read Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell “Outliers”. 10,000 hours is necessary to gain mastery in something. Marcus has some catching up to do.

• Larry Pratt
      10:42 am May 26, 2016 Permalink

I go by what I see. Lee has no business trying to play basketball professionally. 3 years with Cal and his staff, and zero improvement. He can’t shoot. He can’t defend without fouling. The lob is all he’s got. I think I’m right on this one. He should have stuck with volleyball.

7. ncaa is in on it
    6:21 pm May 28, 2016 Permalink

We are BBN??? Cal cost us a title? This is the best its ever been as a KY fan? You must have a problem with your memory. KY wasn’t relevant outside of KY for years. You can’t make everyone happy but I love the guys that want it both ways? You want the best recruits but then you’re upset when they leave early. I’ve been a big fan for 40 + years and from where we were??? Things could not be any better unless you are living in a dream….. or a democrat..