Marcus Lee says with Alex back, “it’s going to be game over”

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Mark Zerof | USA Today

Alex Poythress, Marcus Lee, and Tyler Ulis all met with the media this afternoon to discuss next season and basically assure fans that the sky’s not falling. In fact, all three were very confident in what lies ahead.

Alex Poythress is still rehabbing after surgery to repair a torn ACL, and says he’s jogging right now and will move to single leg jumps soon. Alex acknowledged that he could have gone to the NBA Draft this season, but he’s still got unfinished business at Kentucky.

“It’s been a struggle and a journey. That’s how it is with ACL injuries. It’ll all be worth it when I finish rehab,” Alex told reporters. “I feel the sky’s the limit for me. So I feel I can accomplish great things. Just stay on track with the plan.”

Poythress said Calipari wants him to step up and be a leader this season. “He wants me to run practice,” Alex said. After three years, Alex is more than familiar with the pressure of playing at Kentucky. “I’m used to it by now. The new guys will have to learn that. Tyler, Marcus and I will be there to help them along the way. It’s just hard. When you get here, you have to face reality and everything, but I feel like we have a great group of guys coming in and they’ll be able to handle it.”

Marcus Lee may have put it best when someone asked him if he, Tyler, and Alex are ready for their time to shine next season. “Definitely. We’ve talked about that already. Especially when Alex comes back, it’s going to be game over. That’s how we’ve been thinking about it.”

11 Comments for Marcus Lee says with Alex back, “it’s going to be game over”

1. inside info2
    3:14 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

So excited to see this be Tyler’s (Ulis, not Mrs TT’s) team. He will be the best point guard in the country.

2. EdC
    3:23 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

I love confidence but how can anybody say it is game over when this year’s team didn’t win it all?

• Melvit
      3:27 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

Because the best team rarely wins it all.

• shmikey
      3:28 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

Well.. we beat Wisconsin with Poythress without Willie, and lost to them with Willie and not Poythress. It’s not really comparable but, it’s the best reason I can come up with.

• cracka
      3:42 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

both Wisconsin games were really close … too close for the refs to screw up without affecting the outcome … they almost screwed us last year, definitely screwed us this year

• syrin23
      3:59 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

Yeah, the refs are why we shut down our offense with a 4 point lead and five minutes left to play in the game followed up with three straight shot clock violations. That was all the refs’ fault, and had nothing to do with terrible end game coaching, yet again, from Cal.

• cracka
      4:13 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

no, the refs didn’t shut down our offense neither did they shut down wisconsin’s offense when they scored 4 points over a 10 min stretch in the second half … both teams played basketball, there’s offense vs defense … but they did absolutely give them 4 points, which all other things being equal, would have put us up 3 with less than a min to go

• EdC
      5:32 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

Melvit I think you were trying to argue with me but you just made my point that it is kind of goofy to say game over. This season’s team was far more loaded than it will be next year. It is game and season over but not in a good way. The last thing next season’s team needs to do is get cocky.

3. catgut
    3:54 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

Alex has always been my favorite player..so glad he’s back…and glad he’s getting his diploma…one of the brightest players we’ve ever had graduate….can’t wait for the season to start…

4. syrin23
    3:58 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

If it’s a close game in the tournament, Cal’s end game coaching will cost us. We’ve seen it happen to many times to be naive enough to believe it won’t happen again.

5. catdaddyd
    11:03 pm April 29, 2015 Permalink

If we have to rely on Alex to be the main man, then we are in trouble.