Marcus Lee makes it official, says he will return next season

(Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)

(Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)

(Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)

It’s official: Marcus Lee will return for his sophomore season. Lee confirmed the news via press release minutes ago. Here are his quotes about coming back:

“I’ve really enjoyed my college experience and I’m looking forward to continuing to develop as an all-around player,” Lee said. “Playing in the Final Four was such an amazing feeling, but I want to come back and help win that final game this year.

Coach Cal says Lee’s only scratched the surface of what he can do:

I’m excited for Marcus and think he’s barely scratched the surface of what he’s capable of,” head coach John Calipari said.  “In addition to his athleticism and the energy level he brings, the experience he gained in the NCAA Tournament this year will be immeasurable for us next season.”

Lee’s brother told Adam Zagoria Marcus would be back earlier this week, but it’s still good to get the official word. Even better, it sounds like he and Willie share the desire to settle unfinished business and bring home #9.

Welcome back, Marcus!

35 Comments for Marcus Lee makes it official, says he will return next season

1. uknbama
    3:57 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

So glad to see that Marcus is officially committed to returning next year. I think his energy level will be contagious next year. đŸ™‚

2. UKfanNKY
    4:02 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

SWEET!!!! Welcome BACK Marcus

3. catheaven
    4:04 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Marcus! It’s so awesome to see this kid grow as he did this past year. Can’t wait to watch him soar next season! Smart dude.

4. 2mites
    4:07 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

His potential is thru the roof, what an addition to next years team.

• RP's Face Lift
      7:39 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Kenny Walker 2.

5. Willie cauley stein man
    4:09 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

I love Marcus Lee to death & what he did for us in the tournament was unbelievable. But When is he ever going to see the floor next year if Dakari & Alex come back??? Unfortunately hes going to be like our 10th man in the rotation. & we all know you cant play a 10 man rotation.
    I hope it works out for him bc I love his game & he’s definitely a talented kid. But my goodness, next year is shaping up to be an overload of talent. Maybe to much if Dakari, Alex & the twins come back.

• Alex Poythress' barber
      4:11 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

I agree. As much as I love Alex and Dakari we HAVE GOT to have the twins come back now. We are stacked down low but weak in the guard department. Maybe weak isn’t the best word, how about “thin.” I really will hate to see Alex go but I agree that it will be hard to find playing time for everyone.

• schwing
      6:16 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

three options for a 7′ small forward. problem solved.

6. jeff j
    4:09 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

dont worry about the mule just load the wagon !! go Marcus / GO CATS !!

7. Wildcatnation68
    4:11 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

EXCELLENT NEWS! Marcus Lee is a great baller and he will certainly be a huge asset for the team next season! What about that tournament performance?!?! WOW!!

8. Morehead Cat
    4:17 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Welcome back Marcus

9. bigblue
    4:19 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Really glad Marcus is back….think he will b huge this year.

10. Steve
    4:20 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

The dude was a 5* and a HS all-American, in case some have forgotten. I expect great things for this guy. It’s going to be fantastic to have a sophomore with the experience of having played in the final 4 to fall back on next year.

11. stevem
    4:20 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Great news! Welcome back Marcus. You are going to be a stud next year.

12. ukbradstith
    4:22 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

I see Dakari and Willie splitting minutes at the 5, Karl and Trey splitting time at the 4, with Lee filling in as the third guy for either position, 8-10 minutes per game total. Poy and Willis will play 3 with a 30-10 split. Twins play starter minutes, with Ulis and Booker each getting 8-10 in backup minutes. Hawkins fills in the backcourt when needed. Walk-ons play when there is a blowout, which hopefully happens a lot.

• Mc
      7:01 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Booker will get more minutes than Willis at the 3.

• ukbradstith
      7:42 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Yeah you’re probably right.

13. Duuuuuude
    4:23 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Hell, I could play point guard for a team this loaded up front. Hawkins and Ulis would be just fine. Epps was never considered a great shooter or ball handler, or was particularly fast. He was a great distributor. I hope we get Andrew back, but I am more concerned about the two than the one.

• John Doe
      4:28 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

I tend to agree with you, however look at the past couple of years. When we have struggled it’s because we haven’t had a good point guard. Teague struggled (luckily the team was so good it didn’t matter) until the tourney, Harrow struggled and we were terrible (no pg) and this year when Andrew Harrison struggled at point we had a rough time. Brandon Knight wasn’t a true point but made it for it with his scoring. I have no doubt Ulis will be great, I’m just tired of having to break a new PG in every year and deal with his growing pains. Getting Andrew back would be great!

• Tomas
      5:50 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

I actually with you. The reason the twins are so important is because this team needs Aaron back. With Ulis and Hawkins able to stabilize the PG position, Booker would be the only perimeter player that can score consistently. Really need Aaron, so by default we need Andrew too. Obviously Andrew is better than Ulis, and I would love to have him back, but his brother is far more important.

• ukbradstith
      7:42 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

You are underestimating the importance of a point guard in college bball.

14. Dingbat
    4:31 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Thank goodness for some sophomores. The first 25 games might not be painful next year

15. Mac
    4:35 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

“alright,alright,alright.”

16. Dat front court…
    4:35 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Gonna be sick.

17. Jughead
    4:38 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

A joy to watch, he’ll make fewer mistakes next year. Sneaky player who’s gonna slam some put-backs next year!

18. UKFORLIFE
    4:44 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

A smart move Marcus looking forward to seeing you play again for UK.

19. brain
    4:50 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Great to have ML back.

20. Willie James Huff
    4:54 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Rackball!

21. Deacon
    5:13 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

I would love to see us run line changes like a hockey team. Play 10 guys. Instead of First team and second team, call it Thunder and Lightning.
    Thunder: Harrison, Harrison, Lyles, Towns and Dakari. Play more traditional pound it inside on offense and play a huge zone on defense. Go 4 minutes, then come in with Lightning
    Lightning: Ullis, Booker, Poythress, Lee and Cauley-Stein. This team I would have press full court, trap everything and basically fly up and down the court throwing lobs.
    Switch back and forth throughout the game. Opponents would have to prepare for two totally different styles and we would ware teams out. Everybody plays 20 minutes.

• Deacon
      5:16 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

“Wear” teams out, not ware.

22. Cat Fan in Vegas
    7:23 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Deacon, I like the Thunder and Lightning idea… but you know Cal won’t do it. In regards to Lee… he has a gift. You don’t see guys with that size who can come off the floor so quickly, and get that high up. He literally “comes out of nowhere” and then slams (or throws) the ball through the hoop. He must play significant minutes next year. It’s a huge waste to leave a guy with his ability on the bench.

23. I love Vegas Bombs!
    8:56 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Cat Fan in Vegas, I agree Lee needs to get more minutes and Willis should get the opportunity to see the floor more.

24. john
    11:43 pm April 18, 2014 Permalink

Remember 1996…Never too many players..Pull 5 and run in 5 fresh ones…UNSTOPPABLE…if the twins come back but still can see it without the twins..Move Alex to small forward or even shooting guard..You talk about size and rebounding…But just a bunch of what ifs right now..Have to wait and see who stays and who goes..GO BIG BLUE

25. Bleeding blue!!!
    12:42 am April 19, 2014 Permalink

Whew… Thanks UK for letting us know through a press release that Marcus Lee who avg 2.4 points a game is coming back…had me worried there. You cat fans are so full of yourself.

26. arlo
    9:08 am April 19, 2014 Permalink

on another note, expect u loisville to be competetive in the acc in a couple of years. if uval fans think refs are tough on them in rupp, just wait til they get to cameron indoor urinal.