Marcus Lee is “87 percent” sure he is staying in the draft

combine-lee

@NickFriedell

If you’re one of the fans wondering the likelihood Marcus Lee stays in the draft, you now have an answer.

Marcus Lee told Kyle Tucker and other reporters at the NBA combine he is 87 percent sure he will remain in the draft. He expects to have his final decision in the next couple of days.

Lee spoke after his first five-on-five scrimmage in Chicago. He tallied two points, two rebounds, two assists, two turnovers, one steal, zero blocks and four fouls in 17 minutes played in that game.

It wasn’t a great showing in his combine debut, but at least he wears the Odell Beckham Jr. look well.

Article written by Drew Franklin

6 Comments for Marcus Lee is “87 percent” sure he is staying in the draft

1. Larry Pratt
    6:04 pm May 12, 2016 Permalink

Good luck to him. A terrific kid. And that’s probably his best decision. Next year’s draft is stacked. Marcus just never seemed to progress in his time here. I don’t think another year would really matter

2. DelrayCat
    6:08 pm May 12, 2016 Permalink

I agree. He will need to spend 2-3 years in the D-league grinding away in order to get a shot…hopefully he gets better offensively.
    I think there is about an 87% chance no one drafts him. Although that may be his best option anyway. My guess is he ends up in some European League in a year or two.

3. deltasig41
    6:18 pm May 12, 2016 Permalink

There’s really no other choice for Marcus, if you ask me…This is a weak draft. Even if he doesn’t fair well at the combine, his chances of being picked at all are much, much, higher now than they’d be next year. Some will say he could improve his stock if he came back for another year, but that’s not likely either. Marcus is what he is…He’s extremely athletic, runs the floor well, blocks shots relatively well, and hits the glass. But, he’s a so-so defender. Aside from put-backs and garbage buckets, he has no offensive game. And if he did decide to come back, he’s likely going to have limited minutes because of our increased depth. Then he’d find himself getting lost in the shuffle of a stacked draft.

Best case scenario (and the most unlikely), someone takes a flyer on him in the 2nd round and he improves enough to make a roster by the end of training camp. More likely, if he is drafted, he’ll end up in the D-League. Most likely, he goes undrafted and ends up overseas, where he still makes an excellent living.

Wish him nothing but the best, though. He’s been a great ambassador for UK, and hopefully he gets to continue his career.

• kyle heavy
      8:37 am May 13, 2016 Permalink

I get your point, and I agree… but I don’t know if I would say he’s “extremely” athletic. Maybe just athletic. One thing to add, also, is that he has hands made of stone. He has a hard time catching a ball or grabbing a rebound sometimes.

4. jboy
    7:13 pm May 12, 2016 Permalink

He could transfer to a lower division , get playing time and possibly improve his status for next year. He hasn’t really played much for 3 years. Still looking at late second round or D league.

5. chrisg18
    8:55 am May 13, 2016 Permalink

Undrafted no matter what year he comes out. His 4 fouls in 17 minutes are not surprising. He and Skal can’t guard any 4 or 5 in the NBA. They will foul out in 5 minutes. Marcus is a great dude but I am seriously amazed how much he is trying to force this. Overseas or D league will be his career. He’s just not a NBA player.