Marcus Lee cancels team workouts

marcuslee happy

A change of heart for Marcus Lee?

Lee is canceling his NBA workouts, according to Adam Zagoria. That likely means he plans to return to school, although it could mean he received the feedback he wanted from an organization. (The former is the more believable of the two.)

Last week Lee said he was 87 percent sure he would remain in the draft, but that was before he put up the worst performance at the combine, and before ESPN’s Chad Ford left him out of his Top 100 prospects.

Lee has until May 25 to make a final decision, but it’s likely we will hear from him sooner than that. If he does return, he expects Kentucky to go undefeated.

“Our team would be amazing,” he told Kyle Tucker. “I honestly don’t think we’ll lose at all next year if I return.”

Plot twist!

Article written by Drew Franklin

27 Comments for Marcus Lee cancels team workouts

1. jfluse
    10:13 am May 17, 2016 Permalink

Does that mean Cal knows Marques Bolden’s decision?

• ukcamel
      11:31 am May 17, 2016 Permalink

Hopefully this means laters to Bolden. Would 100% rather have Lee and his high energy, team-first, community-involved attitude.

• theWilkman
      12:05 pm May 17, 2016 Permalink

I would 100% rather have someone that’s good at basketball

• Bleedblueky
      12:21 pm May 17, 2016 Permalink

My conspiracy theory told me Bolden is going to duke 🙁

• Megan
      1:57 pm May 17, 2016 Permalink

If Bolden has decided, he’s informed one or both coaches. Lee’s actions can be interpreted different ways, as Drew says.

2. Mc12
    10:16 am May 17, 2016 Permalink

I thought for sure that when he interviewed with Jeff weird chin weird mouth Goodman that he was gone no matter what.

I still feel that way.

I just don’t think his game is going to magically develop this year when he has had the opportunity to practice against players like KAT, Towns, Lyles, Randle, etc.

The skills he provides can be replaced by someone like Gabriel, SKJ, or even Humphries, and if they can provide the slightest of an offensive game or the ability to hit a free throw, Lee will be back where he was his freshman season. If he comes back, I’ll still cheer him on, don’t get me wrong.

In the D-League, he can at least work on his game full-time. Personally, I’m not sure he’s good enough to have a long career in the D-League. He may get to play overseas which could be nice for him if he’s good enough.

If he learns to play a role like Rodman, and do the dirty work, that’ll be his best shot. Rodman had great instincts and was extremely intelligent on the court though.

• Sentient Third Eye
      11:12 am May 17, 2016 Permalink

The one thing he lacks to be a poor man’s Rodman is consistency. Rodman, for all his weirdness, always gave the Bulls double-digit rebounds and solid D every night. Even when he didn’t take a shot the whole game, they could still count on that much no matter what. Lee needs to get to that point more than anything else.

• Megan
      2:36 pm May 17, 2016 Permalink

Wanna guess Dennis Rodman’s rebound average his first year in the NBA? 4.3, over 77 games.

He was good over the next few years (high single digits), but it wasn’t until his sixth year in the league (18.7) that he figuratively became a rebounding monster, leading the NBA in rebounds for seven consecutive years (during which he never grabbed fewer than 14.9). Even for the all-time greats, it sometimes takes a while to get going.

3. sp
    10:24 am May 17, 2016 Permalink

Later Bolden

Will Duke move to 1-1 favorites to win it next year?

4. BK
    10:29 am May 17, 2016 Permalink

An inside source told me that he canceled his workouts because the Sixers agreed to draft him in the first round, so that they could use his draft rights to claim Bolden, who will commit to UK, in exchange for Bolden’s mother being allowed to enroll at Duke, and Bolden’s dad being hired as an assistant in Philadelphia, so that Marcus could return to school and weaken UK’s frontcourt, thereby pleasing Coach K, while giving Cal another first round pick, thereby ending the feud between Cal and K and making everyone happy-a simple quid pro quo.

5. rolandrmoore1965
    10:31 am May 17, 2016 Permalink

Lee has always seemed like a great kid. I will root for him whatever his choice. If he comes back, maybe he can contribute like the way Jorts did his last season at UK. Go CATS!

6. bosshogg24
    11:50 am May 17, 2016 Permalink

Lee has not improved any in 3 years, with him on the floor UK is playing 4 against 5. He will have trouble finding any minutes, he can’t shoot or make a foul shot and can’t play defense. His vertical leap was the same as Kyle Wiltjer!

• Catlanta Fan
      11:57 am May 17, 2016 Permalink

Lee has the same vertical leap as Wiltjer?? Interesting analysis

• whack0001
      12:14 pm May 17, 2016 Permalink

That’s actually true. Their verticles were measured the same at the combine. Wiltjer also had the highest body fat % at the combine. Lee not being able to out perform a fat wiltjer is an embarrassment.

• Megan
      2:42 pm May 17, 2016 Permalink

We’re being very careful not to mention anyone’s race here. Good for you.

• theWilkman
      3:21 pm May 17, 2016 Permalink

I read it as bosshogg24 being surprised that a guy known for his athleticism would have the same vertical as the fattest player in the Combine, someone known for the opposite of athleticism. If you think someone’s dancing around the race card, that’s on you.

• ukbradstith
      3:29 pm May 17, 2016 Permalink

Plus white guys can’t jump, with rare exceptions, one of which is not Kyle Wiltjer. I don’t believe the vertical leaps are the same anyway, because I’ve see Lee catch nasty lobs and thrown down putbacks, and I’ve seen Kyle shoot layups barely getting off the ground.

• RealCatsFan
      4:37 pm May 17, 2016 Permalink

What is more surprising to me about Wiltjer’s and Lee’s matching verticals is that Wiltjer can apparently actually jump when he wants to. A 35 inch vertical is pretty respectable, especially for a big man. I think the highest vertical in the combine was only a few inches higher than that – correct me it I’m wrong. I think Tyler’s measured at 38 inches, and he weighs a lot less. Now if Kyle chose to actually use that jumping ability EVERY TIME, he might be going a lot higher in the draft.

I think the difference in athletic ability between the two would show up when they had to jump several times in a row – Kyle would probably be done after one or two, and Marcus would be on a pogo stick.

7. Catlanta Fan
    12:02 pm May 17, 2016 Permalink

It’s gonna be tough for him to get clock if these freshman are everything the scouting reports are saying. I personally am more comfortable with Humphries and we’ve still not really seen what Wynward can do. Not hating on Lee, I just don’t think he’s improved in his 3 years at UK. He is who he is at this point. Hopefully he comes back and makes me eat my words!

8. UKALLDAY1
    1:27 pm May 17, 2016 Permalink

He thinks he is the reason the team won’t lose? I think his brother inflated his head to much. He had the nerve to even test the NBA waters, after the season he had he proved that he is not ready for the NBA. He is a role player, he needs to embrace that. The kid that they want to replace his is way better than him in all aspects of the game.

9. babydangy
    1:48 pm May 17, 2016 Permalink

He’s not returning. NBA teams have to pay for the workouts, so would they waste the money on a kid they can just sign after the draft and stash him in the D-League? Also he will go overseas and play if he doesn’t get picked up and he will make more than most of us ever will over there. If Eloy Vargas can play overseas Lee can as well.

10. Gazza
    2:20 pm May 17, 2016 Permalink

Welcome home Marcus. Hope to have he and Marques both!

11. Kyblue34
    2:46 pm May 17, 2016 Permalink

Lee seems like a good kid who has been a great teammate and ambassador for our program, but it’s time for him to move on to something else. He already earned his degree and he really hasn’t improved much at all on the court in three years even when he had every opportunity to flourish this past year, so I don’t see any benefit to him returning (for him or our team). He can start making some good money overseas.

12. Megan
    2:53 pm May 17, 2016 Permalink

Love you, Marcus. And I want you back for entirely selfish reasons.