March Mojo: Crazy Things We Do To Keep Kentucky Winning

March is a great, but nervous time in the Bluegrass. Kentucky fans do everything they can to help the Cats keep winning, even if it means sacrificing comfort, clean clothes, or sanity. From Matt’s showers to Fake Barney’s dirty socks, and the defunct hotel key that’s been in my wallet since St. Louis, March Mojo is a very real thing.

I asked fans to share their superstitions on Twitter this morning, and, as expected, you all didn’t let me down. Most responses centered around lucky shirts and spots on the couch, but some of you really get weird with your March Mojo. Here are my favorite responses.

Clothing

: I haven’t washed my KY jersey since the first game of the SEC tournament. Don’t want to wash away the winning mojo! #dirtyjersey

I wear the same shirt/jersey and jorts. And I have not shaven since the SEC Tournament. I had to trim a bit for work. (Key is that I cannot grow facial hair that great, I’m very patchy).

: I’ve worn the same socks for every postseason basketball game and every football game since the 2011 NCAA Tourney run. I believe in the magic of my blue Nike Elites.

: SEC Tournament games I wore the same clothes and jewelry, so I have extended that into the NCAA tournament! Also, on game days we eat the same foods, and go through the same routine. I lose confidence if any of these things get messed up!

Sara Elizabeth Langston: Every year I pick one of my UK shirts as my “tournament tee” and wear it for every game. It isn’t washed during the duration. This year it currently has spit up on the sleeve but I can’t wash it because #mojo

: My dog has a lucky bandana (reversible to match the team’s jerseys) and I always have to wear blue socks.

@jackkeadle: White hat before the game, blue hat during the game, Rondo jersey all day but take it off after the final buzzer. Switching seats throughout the entire game. No Twitter.

: The whole 2012 tournament I wore the same shirt and socks for every game. I didn’t wash them. The first loss of the 12-13 season I retired it all. It was washed between seasons though. 2012-13 was all my fault.

@PeruvianSkies4: As odd as it sounds: unless I’m actually going to the game, I won’t wear any UK gear on game day. Every time I do, they lose.

: I have a pair of brand new UK socks I bought last summer and saved just for the tournaments, SEC and NCAA. 5-0 so far! Let’s hope they get to 9-0! Also I must have a meatball Subway on deck ready to eat at halftime.

@JLToll DH has a “rally” sweatshirt that’s a MUST WEAR if we are behind. It’s 25+ years old. Purchased on clearance at Bacon’s in Louisville. It’s threadbare and hideous. He wants to be buried in it…which may be sooner than he thinks if he doesn’t stop wearing it in public.

Comfort/Hygiene

@kate_haagen: My dad slammed his finger in a door during the four-game losing streak. He’s trying to keep the nail from falling off since it’s held on since we started winning again.

: When Kentucky is playing poorly, I recline slightly on the couch. If they start to play better, I recline some more, and so on. In 2014, I actually think I was partly responsible for the run. At one point, I remember being almost totally flat.

: If the team is doing well, I cannot move a single inch. If I move, they will stop doing well. Also if I’m holding something during a run, I have to continue to hold it. If they start to not do so well, I throw it as far away from me as I can.

: During the 31-point comeback at LSU, I was sitting (literally) on the edge of my chair. Every time UK would score, I’d slide closer to the edge. I refused to move till the game over. Even during time outs. By the time the game was over, I was almost in the floor. You’re welcome.

@BlueTitleist: New this year starting with the Alabama SEC Tournament game: I was out of my regular deodorant and used something else that I had at the house. I hate the deodorant but I will continue it for hopefully four more games because we haven’t lost. Also, a specific grey pair of tennis shoes.

Location

Bret Sims: My wife and I wear the same clothes we wore from the 2012 run.  We only wear this set of UK gear during the tournament. Then we sit out in my truck (see attached) and listen to the game on the radio because it is old school, more exciting and I hate TV announcers.

@ML_Oliver I have one spot in my bedroom to the left of my TV that I have to stand in to watch the entire game. I can only sit during timeouts

: I watch each tournament game from a different location… went back to the same bar vs Wisconsin and never will I watch a game from the same location twice in a tournament run again.

: I will sit in the same chair, wear the same free Kentucky football hat I got at the Kentucky Bash, and wait to pull out the laptop for the postgame post until the under-12 TV timeout

@Callmeclev: I refuse to watch the games anywhere but alone in my room. I have watched other places one time for the last 3 tournaments and all 3 were the games we lost.

Behavior

@LukeFisher37: We have a blow up wildcat and during every commercial my whole family has to give him three high fives and pat his head twice. We did this in 2012 and have done it ever since.

: Do NOT say we are going to win. Don’t say ANYTHING before the game

: When UK goes in a scoring drought, I switch channels and check the KSR live blog until they start playing better. I also have a superstition with the number 8. For example, if UK is losing, I may turn the game off til the clock has a time that computes to the number 8. I may wait til 7:10 (7+1=8), or 8:30 (8×3=24 2+4=8). In other words I’m half crazy, half OCD, but 100% Cat fan!

: If Kentucky is the higher seed I only open/close doors with my right hand leading up to and during the game but if we’re the lower seed I open/close doors with my left hand. 2-0 so far.

Lucas: I will no longer go to any Final Four UK plays in. I have gone twice. Once in 2011-12, we drove down to Houston with student tickets from Lexington. Of course, we lost to UCONN and Kemba. Then, the 38-0 year my dad and I went to Indy and we lost to Wisconsin. In 2012 I stayed in Lexington we won. The moral of the story is that I am never allowed to attend another Final Four or we will almost certainly lose.

Items

: This lamp must be on just before tip. I also change shirts if needed at half.

@12jessica22: I bought a new vehicle in January and had a UK license plate picked out and was going to go put it on it yesterday and chickened out because I don’t want to change ANYTHING until the tournament is over.

@ukheman4ever: I have a 2015 Final Four medallion and a 2012 “Kentucky Basketball Never Stops” dogtag. The 2 times I wore them together was the 2015 Final Four and the 2017 Elite Eight games. I’m afraid to even look at them this year.

@joshmccoy92 The Calipari autographed ball in its case comes out every March. Sits on the coffee table in front of the couch!!

@codymm7: I changed around my room the day of ‘15 Wisconsin game. I don’t switch anything up unless we play bad. Change all my blinds and moved stuff around during the 4 game skid. #goodvibes

Food/Drink

@BluegrassHunter When I know stakes are high, I buy this specific brand of Twizzlers to have during game. I do not open until absolutely necessary. Back in the 2014 tourney, it looked like we were headed for an loss, so I opened a bag and Aaron Harrison’s run began. Done it ever since!

: I can not eat during the game or look at my phone. I am allowed water.

@queenhaiku2 In 2012 we had to eat Orange Leaf Caliberry froyo every night. We totally carried that team.

Sometimes the mojo doesn’t work and Kentucky loses, which makes you question your habits. This happened to @NinjaMcMuffins, who wore this rubber band bracelet through the 2014 and 2015 NCAA Tournament runs:

After Kentucky lost to Wisconsin, he took it off, and today, at the suggestion of Nick Roush, burned it for good luck:

We’re going to take it as an extra good sign that it burned in the shape of the number nine.

Feel free to chime in with your March mojo in the comments.

[mobile_ad]

45 Comments for March Mojo: Crazy Things We Do To Keep Kentucky Winning

1. RexRox
    8:13 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

Not superstitious at all

2. RajonTheDon9
    8:36 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

These people are crazy… the reason why we made it to title game in 2014 is because I shot heroin every 4-minute timeout. (Swear to God and Christ). BTW, I’m 2-years clean. Since then, it’s doing everything in the number 9 (wiping ass, deodorant strokes, microwave, 9 mph over speed limit, etc.) used to be 8-everything before 2012. But always only drink 9 beers every game. Parents house. Weener dog by fireplace. Regular mutt by me. Mom has to watch game in their bedroom she’s horrible luck. Always say that we’ll miss this free throw. Always say before game that we’ll get blown out. Lots of others. I’m a Cincinnati UK grad so I’m higher class than the rest of BBN.

• unbridled
      11:01 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

Ok. Good to know

• ibescootch
      12:40 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

These comments are a rollercoaster ride. I like it.

• 4everUKblue
      3:51 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Uhhhh, Rajon if you’re drinking alcohol, YOUR’RE NOT CLEAN…PERIOD! Maybe work a step.

• RajonTheDon9
      3:47 pm March 21, 2018 Permalink

Never said I was sober. I’ve already done my fourth. No resentments here. I can still carry the message after nine beers. Some of the best coaches never played the game

• ClutchCargo
      9:31 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

The funny thing is I can’t even tell if this is a joke. If not, this guy has us all beat in a game that we really don’t want to win!

3. You Can Call Me Cal
    8:38 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

I had some lucky UK socks that I wore for every game in the 2015 season never washing them UNTIL I put my bag on the plane to go to the Final Four in Indy. I wanted to carry on, but just before boarding Southwest tells me that all the overhead bins are full. So I checked it coming from Oakland. Our flight was delayed. We arrived to the layover in Las Vegas and ran to our connecting flight. The bag AND the lucky socks did not make it. You all know the rest, f’ing Badgers. I blame that loss on Southwest Airlines. The damnedest part? I got on the plane and there was still space in the overhead bins. Since then, the socks are no longer lucky and I haven’t found any new lucky clothes.

4. KYcats11
    8:39 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

Gotta make sure the dam toilet paper is on the right way.

• ClutchCargo
      10:03 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

That me every day, not just for UK basketball!

5. jhambone
    9:19 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

To keep winning . . . . I have done this for years – With 7 minutes to go, if we are 7 points or less behind, I get in the car and drive and listen to Mike Pratt/Tom Leach. I drive around the neighborhood; stop in church parking lots; go back to certain areas when we start to do better, and so on ! I have a pretty good track record. BTW – during tournament games that 7 minutes eztends to 10 minutes. I love listening to Pratt/Leach commentary on the radio. They project the game just like you are watching it on television. Go Cats !!

6. SaraFoos
    9:51 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

During the 2014 tourney run, I was extremely pregnant. I paced the floor every game and wore the same clothes. The day of the championship game I went into labor, so I was in the hospital. Needless to say I feel responsible for the loss. Now I really bounce back and forth between two TVs in my house, and try to stay off of twitter as much as I can during the game. If they start playing poorly, I’ll start cleaning or something to distract myself, and things seems to change.

7. Catlogic15
    10:02 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

If we win it all, there will be some stinking mo fo’s to thank for it.

8. ClutchCargo
    10:10 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

Don’t listen to anyone else, I know what got us to the title game in 2014, because not doing it caused us to lose to UConn. We have one one of those glider rocking chairs we bought when my teenage daughter was born, and it got us through the baby years for getting both our kids to sleep. Well, turns out it has the power to give us a little extra umph in the tournament. So I always sat in the chair throughout the tournament, while also munching on some kind of generic microwave popcorn I found in the pantry when I got hungry right before the first round. To my chagrin, I realized there were only 5 bags of this magical popcorn, and I had no clue where to buy more. Before the UConn game I was slightly concerned, but I reasoned that we were on such a roll that it didn’t really matter. The rest is history.

9. Kat4Life
    10:19 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

I have a very specific uniform that I wear that involves a UK hat,a jersey, Kentucky sweatpants and Kentucky socks. Every time i’ve worn this exact outfit they have won this season including the last five games.

Suffice it to say I will be wearing this Thursday and Saturday

10. UncleTito
    10:43 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

My parents have a UK Christmas tree that stays up from Christmas all the way through the tournament! It has to be on or we don’t win!!

11. oruacat2
    11:04 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

“I don’t drink because I’m alcoholic, I drink because I’m superstitious.”

True story.

12. kentuckybackupplayer
    11:08 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

Uofsmell just got smoked by Miss St. congrats to the sec.

• ClutchCargo
      9:35 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

They couldn’t face a future that possibly included a match-up with WKU in the final. Cowards.

13. King_tucky
    11:08 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

I used to think superstitions were bad luck. But iv caught myself going a rally beard n wearing my combo of good luck clothes. Worked so far

14. cats646
    11:27 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

I start out every game sitting on the couch then when we start playing bad I move to the floor and it fixes everything.

• ClutchCargo
      9:36 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

So maybe just start out on the floor and it’s all good?

15. Smyrna_Cat
    11:44 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

This is awesome. Best thing on this board all year!!!

16. az1006
    11:47 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

My superstitions change throughout the game, every game. I’ve had things in the past: wearing the same shirt, or sitting in the same seat, or eating the same food…But I don’t like to carry over from one season to the next, especially since our roster turns over so much. In 2014, I wore a 2011 Final Four shirt as an under shirt throughout the run. When I was in high school, a friend of mine and I would rotate houses for watching games: games we should win were my house, toss-ups were at his house. So far this tournament, it seems as though leaving my living room is the mojo: Against Davidson, the runs we made in each half were when I moved to my daughter’s playroom; against Buffalo, I watched the last 8 minutes on my phone while sitting on the patio. So, I guess if we need a run, I’ll just leave the room and watch somewhere else.

17. Melvit
    11:52 pm March 20, 2018 Permalink

I will never take a cruise around the final four time again. Watched them lose to UConn in 2011 surrounded by UConn fans yelling “It’s Kimba time!” on a cruise and then 2014 (“they’re not that good honey, they’ll never make it to the Championship game (the day the ship was setting sail)), needless to say, you know the rest of the story. Though, it game me a unforgettable moment with me and my dad cheering in a hotel room during the Wisconsin game that year. In 2011, it was my dad and I watching UK beat UNC in a Florida bar while people were complaining they weren’t showing NASCAR.

18. Wade
    12:15 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

I just yell at the players on my black and white tv and my kids and wife and dog my fish too can’t forget her him whatever it is it’s a new world just act crazy. Typical shit. Also I like to play bocce ball before hand it seems to calm me down.

19. CATandMONKEY
    12:42 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

I text or call all my now-scattered grad school buddies and implore them all to do their part by drinking heavily.

The collective imbibing effort imparts a vicarious “spinach-like effect” on the players and virtually ensures victory.

…Unless Mike is being a slacker and lying about his consumption. Ahem.

20. BigBlueNationDude
    2:48 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

I just troll and get on peoples nerves. Thats my thing. Sometimes it works.

21. AllBall
    5:04 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Since I stopped visiting Rupp Rafters our beloved Cats have been on a winning streak. Needless to say, I won’t be visiting the site anytime soon.

22. CatManDo
    6:25 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Not sure if I am superstitious but I am stitious at the least.

23. SusieMae
    6:40 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

I’ll only watch a game alone or with diehard UK fans. During the 2015 Final Four we had relatives staying with us who didn’t really care who won the game. And to make matters worse, our son’s friend came over during the second half of the game supposedly to cheer us on. He was a Duke fan…

24. Parker_UKFanNC
    7:19 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Did no one else notice the person obsessed with 8 said 8×3=24 and 2+4=8???

25. runningunnin.454
    7:47 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Is there a psychiatrist on the plane?

26. Kat4Life
    8:13 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Tyler……well done. This untapped treasure trove of neurosis has proven to be one of the best pieces you’ve ever done.

27. Mathlete
    8:18 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

That dog bandana is awesome, where can I get one?

28. Sentient Third Eye
    8:41 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

Years ago, I had a lucky UK hat, but it was destroyed in a tornado, along with everything I owned at the time…and the Cats still won a title that year anyway! It was the best year of my life!

29. Kpolley11
    8:53 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

I have the limited edition Thornton’s golden coin in the wooden holder that we open up in big games (started the 2014 year) and allow Rupp and all the other coins to watch the game front row wherever we are at. I also always grow the playoff beard. This year I started it after the 4 game skid and haven’t touched it since.

30. Wraith
    9:03 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

In my family, If the Cats are trailing at half time, we spend the second half cleaning the kitchen. We used to pile in the car and take a drive and listen to it on the radio, but then the house burned down while we were gone during the 95 SEC Tournament, so now we just clean the kitchen. Works too.

31. ClutchCargo
    9:41 am March 21, 2018 Permalink

It’s only weird if it doesn’t work!

32. Based God
    12:38 pm March 21, 2018 Permalink

I’m with the guy that won’t wear UK gear on game day. I won’t even wear blue on game day. But I make it a point to not wear the opposing teams colors either.

33. Alleykat16
    12:52 pm March 21, 2018 Permalink

We was unable to go to this SEC tourney but have gone since 12-13, so we hung all winning SEC shirts around the living room put our UK sock monkey and gnome in front of tv and it’s all still in place until this is all over with hopefully it ends April 2nd with a win. GO BIG BLUE!