Malik Monk voted the most hated figure in Arkansas sports

Here’s something that won’t surprise you: Arkansas fans still hate Malik Monk. A lot.

SEC Country’s John Nabors recently put together a bracket to determine the most hated figure in Arkansas sports, and the finals included Monk, who picked Kentucky over his home state school, and John Calipari, the guy who persuaded him to do so. Monk won by a narrow margin:

Other contenders in the bracket: Bobby Petrino, John L. Smith, Houston Nutt, and, for some reason, Ashley Judd.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back when he declared for the draft, Monk penned a piece in The Players’ Tribune thanking Kentucky fans for taking him in after Arkansas fans turned on him for picking the Cats over the Razorbacks.

“I won’t lie: It was tough. You hear something enough times, you know, and you can start to wonder if it’s true. It was almost like, man … am I turning my back on my home state? Am I all of the terrible things that they’re calling me? That stuff can get in your head in a bad way.

But then I realized pretty quickly that I didn’t have to go through it alone.

Kentucky fans made one thing crystal clear to me: They had my back. No one made me wait until the fall, until I got to Lexington, to be accepted into Big Blue Nation. Man, it was just right off the bat: Like, Once you’re one of us, you’re one of us.”

Want to show your support for Monk? He’ll be back in the Bluegrass this weekend to do a signing tour:

34 Comments for Malik Monk voted the most hated figure in Arkansas sports

1. Eazy
    10:55 am July 24, 2017 Permalink

That’s hilarious. They really hate us and we don’t even consider them a rival. Arkansas isn’t a relevant program.

2. Lukifer
    11:08 am July 24, 2017 Permalink

Arkansas; the grudge state.

3. Mathlete
    11:50 am July 24, 2017 Permalink

Oh yeah, Arkansas does have an SEC school… I always forget about them.

• Eazy
      11:58 am July 24, 2017 Permalink

Lol, exactly. They are a joke.

• J-Dub421
      12:10 pm July 24, 2017 Permalink

I remember Arkansas. They were the jerks who tried to injure our players and took a bunch of cheap shots when we were whipping them in the finals of the SEC tournament last season.

4. InigoMontoya
    12:25 pm July 24, 2017 Permalink

That’s OK. I still hate Arkansans for giving us the Clintons.

• Eazy
      12:37 pm July 24, 2017 Permalink

Lol, the only reason that clown Drumpf is in office now is because of Clinton so I’m surprised you don’t like them! I’m not a fan of either party but the ignorance of today’s right wing is unparalleled.

• Eazy
      12:39 pm July 24, 2017 Permalink

Arkansas is an uneducated right wing state now, though. We are in the age of unreason.

• TBW3011
      2:04 pm July 24, 2017 Permalink

Right. Because when vagina hats are mainstream in your base you clearly have it all together.

• UK Big Board Update
      5:07 pm July 24, 2017 Permalink

I’ve never seen a vagina hat, in person, ever.

But I’ve seen a lot of racist, white, republicans. LOTS.

But you just keep assuming, chief. 😉

5. Kat4Life
    12:31 pm July 24, 2017 Permalink

Lowest tooth-to-head ratio in the nation…..

6. CatsfaninFL
    12:40 pm July 24, 2017 Permalink

LOL…wow… Cal, Monk, and Judd in a poll about Arkansas sports. We are living so ridiculously rent free in their heads…hahahahahaha.

7. scwhite9
    12:41 pm July 24, 2017 Permalink

It certainly shows the lack of class on the part of the folks from Arkansas. He’s a kid; he gets to choose where he wants to go to school. He did, and we as KY fans are thrilled that he did. He is much improved from where he started. He wouldn’t have done nearly as well had he gone to Arkansas.

I will follow him on whatever team he is on as long as he is playing. He was certainly fun to watch last year.

• Bluebrook
      5:16 pm July 24, 2017 Permalink

There is a very good chance Arkansas would’ve beat UNC in the tourney, had Monk decided to go there. They damn near beat them, (and probably should’ve) without him. That’s assuming they would’ve received the same seeding with Monk on the team, of course.

8. Eazy
    12:42 pm July 24, 2017 Permalink

You do know Calipari and all the players are very liberal, right? In fact 90% of pro athletes lean to the left. Oh yeah, I forgot you all are only racist when blacks aren’t entertaining you.

• PillsburyThrowboy
      12:48 pm July 24, 2017 Permalink

90% based on what? And what is considered an athlete in this 90% number? And what does this have to do with race? Nothing. So gtfo.

• Wilfred Smith
      12:56 pm July 24, 2017 Permalink

Well, until they pay taxes.

• TBW3011
      2:08 pm July 24, 2017 Permalink

Most college athletes could care less about politics yet. You are making an assumption that they are liberal based simply on their race. May want to look in the mirror while slinging that race card around chief.

• UK Big Board Update
      5:02 pm July 24, 2017 Permalink

TBW3011 begins his comment with an assumption (“Most college athletes could care less about politics yet”), and then attacks another for making an assumption. LMAO!!

9. 2Dogs
    12:54 pm July 24, 2017 Permalink

Don’t sweat it Malik. Dentists and librarians were high on the list as well.

10. 3Goggles
    3:18 pm July 24, 2017 Permalink

If they hate then let them hate, and watch the money pile up

11. runningunnin.454
    4:07 pm July 24, 2017 Permalink

Ugh, hate the racial/political labels.
    They’re just kids playing ball and chasing their dreams.

12. goose2
    10:22 pm July 24, 2017 Permalink

And you dont know why Judd is on the list? Why it wust be her NASTY political remarks. I hope she never attends another UK game. What a mess she is. Please dont shame our state again.

13. AsphaltJunky
    5:30 pm July 25, 2017 Permalink

Hey big board I a earlier post you said, ” But I’ve seen a lot of racist, white, republicans. LOTS. “. Check your facts, the Democratic Party started the KKK one of the most racist groups in our history.

• UK Big Board Update
      6:54 pm July 25, 2017 Permalink

You’re a f****ing idiot if you think the parties today are the same as they were 100 years ago. STFU.

14. AsphaltJunky
    7:11 pm July 25, 2017 Permalink

There you go big board. When someone calls you out on facts you resort to name calling. It’s typical though someone with you mindset never lets facts get in the way of a good story.

• UK Big Board Update
      7:42 pm July 25, 2017 Permalink

No, you’re a goddamn delusional redneck idiot. Take your weak Fox news, Cult 45 BS elsewhere.

• UK Big Board Update
      7:59 pm July 25, 2017 Permalink

Here’s basically the equivalent to what your slack-jaw, booger-eating moron of a brain said:

“Check yer facts! There were no white players on the 1948 UK team. That means all Kentuckians are racist today. Derp!!”

Don’t let logical thinking get in the way of you trying to outwit someone smarter than you.

Fu**ing sheep. BAAAAH!! BAAAAAHHHH!!

15. AsphaltJunky
    8:08 pm July 25, 2017 Permalink

Your funny I’m from California. See you just spout off and show your true ignorance to real life. The only reason I joined this , besides being a U.K. Fan is to stand up to people like you

• UK Big Board Update
      8:12 pm July 25, 2017 Permalink

I’m from California. You’re from Dayton, Ohio. But that has nothing to do with the conversation, which just reiterates what a redneck dumbass you are.

• UK Big Board Update
      8:13 pm July 25, 2017 Permalink

And you’ve gotta do better than that if you’re gonna try to come at me. You just typed a lot of words, without saying ANYTHING.

Redneck.

Sheep.

16. UK Big Board Update
    8:51 pm July 25, 2017 Permalink

I’ll wait for your trailer park dial-up to catch up…..

17. AsphaltJunky
    3:25 am July 26, 2017 Permalink

Lol. Hope you slept good. It’s fun seeing someone that pretends to be intelligent get so bent out of shape over words on a screen. Till next time.