Malik Monk not participating in the NBA Combine; More on Diallo’s prospects

monk

Apparently Malik Monk is confident enough about his stock that he doesn’t want to risk damaging it at the NBA Combine next week. The NBA just sent out a list of the 67 players participating and Monk’s not on it, meaning he received an invitation but declined it. Judging by the list, UCLA’s Lonzo Ball, NC State’s Dennis Smith, Kansas’ Josh Jackson, and Duke’s Jayson Tatum have also elected not to participate.

Here’s the complete list of participants, who will go through strength and agility drills, measurements, and some, five-on-five games:

PLAYER … FROM
Collins, Zach … Gonzaga
Diallo, Hamidou … Kentucky
Dorsey, Tyler … Oregon
Dotson, Damyean … Houston
Dozier, PJ … South Carolina
Evans, Jawun … Oklahoma State
Ferguson, Terrance … Adelaide (AUS)
Fox, De’Aaron … Kentucky
Fultz, Markelle … Washington
Giles, Harry … Duke
Hart, Josh … Villanova
Hayes, Nigel … Wisconsin
Hicks, Isaiah … North Carolina
Iwundu, Wesley … Kansas State
Jackson, Frank … Duke
Jackson, Justin … North Carolina
Jackson, Justin … Maryland
Jeanne, Jonathan … Nancy (France)
Jok, Peter … Iowa
Wagner, Moritz … Michigan
Walton Jr., Derrick … Michigan
Welsh, Thomas … UCLA
White, Derrick … Colorado
Williams-Goss, Nigel … Gonzaga
Wilson, D.J. … Michigan
Yurtseven, Omer … North Carolina St.

Last week, Draft Express’ Jonathan Givony reported that from UK, only Diallo and Briscoe will participate in the 5-on-5 games, while Bam and Fox sit that portion out.

Here’s a chart of where all five prospects rank in the latest mock drafts:

Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 2.22.15 PM

As you’ll notice, Gary Parrish has Hamidou Diallo going 24th to the Utah Jazz. Here’s what he had to say about that prediction:

So now Diallo has an interesting choice. Does he remain in the 2017 NBA Draft – where scouts I’ve spoken with suggest he’s likely to be selected in the 20s? Or does he play next season at Kentucky and then enter a weaker 2018 NBA Draft – where he could be a lottery pick?

There are pros and cons to both options.

It remains unclear what he’ll do.

But, for now, I’m projecting Diallo to remain in the 2017 NBA Draft and go 24th to the Jazz. He’d add athleticism to a backcourt that doesn’t have much of it. And he could develop into a star who plays next to Gordon Hayward for many years to come.

Ugh.

10 Comments for Malik Monk not participating in the NBA Combine; More on Diallo’s prospects

1. gobble gobble
    3:33 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

I cannot for the life of me figure out why cal didn’t play him at all last year. I think that might’ve been a mistake on Cal’s part.

• BlueDeuce
      5:00 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

I think it was to ensure any weakness he had was not on display for all to see. He was able to work on his game some and shore up the loose ends and now he can go put those skills on display for the combine.

Remember, he actually has to perform at the combine for him go to the draft this year. If he still has a weakness in his game it will be on full display for scouts to see next week!

I think he stays in the draft because he did get 4 months of practice with guys projected in the top of the lottery. The only question I think that is left is can he shoot. That will be the deciding factor of staying or not because it doesn’t matter how long or athletic these guys are…they need to be able to knock down a shot.

2. DrSayre
    3:41 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

Diallo has got to go if he feel confident he goes in the first round. But it’s interesting NBADraft.net doesnt have him listed in the first or second round. Itll be interesting if Chad Ford’s next mock draft will have him listed or not.

3. SanDiegoCats
    4:20 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

It sucks seeing these guys from top schools like unc and nova return and we lose everyone, including guys who didn’t play more than 10 min a game or at all.

• BallDontLie
      4:39 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

That’s the only frustrating part. I expect the other guys but to have guys that barely play and guys who aren’t projected to even be drafted leave early hurts. And it gets tiring having to be on one side or the other. A fan can be happy for ALL of the kids pursuing their dreams and still be frustrated by it as a fan at the same time.

• dismore
      6:35 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

Yep but some people think any criticism disqualifies you as a fan.

4. chris43
    7:04 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

I don’t mind the one and done a bit….I’m happy for them and I FULLY a support Monk, Fox, Bam, and also hope Briscoe, Humphries, Hawkins, and Willis do really well. I’m also a huge Cal fan. But I can’t for the life of me figure out why Cal didn’t play him last season if there was even a 10-20% chance he was going to stay in the draft. If Diallo stays great! I’ll fully support him and consider him a Wildcat. If not then he’s no different than any other recruit that goes to another school MEANING he DID NOT PLAY FOR US..so why would I be a fan of supportive? Last I checked we don’t cheer on Bolden, or Grayson Allen or Justin Jackson. If he NEVER plays a game in a UK jersey how is he any different from them? Before all the “you’re not a fan” BS starts….I’ve watched UK sports RELIGIOUSLY for over 30 years.

• BiasedBigfoot
      4:19 am May 6, 2017 Permalink

Amen. If I’m not a true fan for being disappointed that a great player came & lived on our campus, ate with our players, and gained a higher basketball IQ under our coach…. then so be it. I’m not wrong – only human. Plus no one can convince me that it’s not smarter to stay and likely be a top ten pick rather than risk falling to the second round by leaving now.

5. njCat
    7:05 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

Why ‘ugh’ Tyler? Thought we fully supported these guys getting paid as soon as they possibly can?

Only thing that would be better is if Cal could just spend endless $$$ recruiting them and then not make them play to keep them from risking injury. They could just practice for a year in front of scouts.

Player first!

6. runningunnin.454
    7:22 pm May 5, 2017 Permalink

If there’s anything that would sent me back to school, it’s the slimmest chance that I could end up in Utah.