Malik Monk apologizes for smiling, can we please move on

852a4619

Of all the stupid overreactions I’ve seen in my years of both following and covering Kentucky Basketball, the blow up over Malik Monk laughing at the Florida student section singing “Happy Birthday” to him may take the cake. As John Calipari hinted he would this morning, Malik addressed the situation with reporters today at Kentucky’s pre-LSU media opportunity, apologizing if some people took his laughter the wrong way.

“It caught me off guard, them doing that,” Monk said of the Florida students serenading him. “We played bad. Winning is on my mind from the jump, so if anybody took that the wrong way, I’m sorry for that. But it was clever for them, for the fans to just do that. It was funny to me. But I shouldn’t have laughed at that moment because I knew the camera was on me.”

Monk didn’t seem too bothered by the whole drama, telling reporters he sensed it would become a story because that’s what happens when you’re a UK basketball player.

“I knew it was going to be something because we’re at Kentucky and Cal told me that before, camera’s always on us. But I knew it was going to blow up.”

Hopefully this is the last post I ever have to write about this.

30 Comments for Malik Monk apologizes for smiling, can we please move on

1. truebluethroughandthrough
    3:35 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

2017 and this is the absolute best audio quality we can get?

2. ClutchCargo
    3:37 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

No. It’s a free blog, so it is what it is.

3. Bluebloodtoo
    3:45 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, I think all the blame on Monk lately is ridiculous. He’s a little streaky, but he’s still getting buckets. The Cats’ problems are way bigger than Monk’s streaky shooting. Monk’s defense… well, that’s certainly contributing to the bigger issues.

4. catsarerunnin
    3:46 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Hopefully this is the end of Smilegate.

5. BBNBRIAN
    3:48 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

It was a lose/lose situation for Monk. Had he just sat there he would have been viewed as a sore loser and sour puss… he gets caught smiling and all of sudden his attitude over shadows his piss poor playingredients. No chemistry and no toughness is about right for this bunch. It was nice to see Tai get some minutes and knock some people around. How can Bam go against Tai, daily in practice, and still be so easy to push around under the basket?

• RealCatsFan
      3:59 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Maybe it’s because every time Bam pushes back he gets a cheap foul called on him.

6. RealCatsFan
    3:58 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Geesh, the kid probably wonders sometimes if his life would have been easier in Arkansas!

Malik, the TRUE Big Blue Nation loves ya. Hang in there! GO CATS!

• secrick
      4:01 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Realcatsfan, You are so right. If we don’t win we have to cry about something.

7. scwhite9
    4:01 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

We love you, Malik. You didn’t have to apologize. Your smile is what makes you one of my favorites EVER. Enjoy life; don’t listen to the naysayers.

8. RealCatsFan
    4:07 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

I was a bit perturbed immediately after the game when some were talking about the players apparently cutting up on the bench. But when I heard the true nature of what was happening, it made me take a step back and seriously evaluate the fact that I was letting a stupid basketball game get me so worked up. It’s a GAME, people. I want the Cats to win every game, especially against rivals like Florida, UT, UL, etc., but sometimes we get beat, and life goes on. I have moved on, and hopefully the team has too. Hopefully they will squash LSU and get the ship righted again. After 2014, we should all have learned to take a wait-and-see approach to UK teams, especially when they are led by mostly freshmen.

I will go on to say that the freshmen on this team all seem to be great kids off the court. Yes, I want them to perform, and I want them to have a passion for playing for UK, but at least they are not caught up in a rape investigation in the players’ dorms, or in the middle of a scandal involving strippers, or taking fake classes, or intentionally tripping opponents on national TV. Keep this in mind before you let loose on them after a game. Cal gets paid to take the criticism, but the players, not as much. (Although some of them WILL get paid very soon.)

• secrick
      4:41 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Once again well said.

• 4everblue
      7:13 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

I’m totally with RealCatsFan!

9. Le Docteur
    4:45 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Everyone is different. Monk gets to be who he wants to be, more power to him. But if I have a choice, I want someone who — while the game is still going on — is pretty upset about having a sound ass-whipping administered to them on national television. I don’t know every high-level college and professional athlete personally but I think it is fair to say that the very best ones are VERY competitive and HATE to lose. And I’m having a hard time imagining the best and most competitive ones like Michael Jordan, Larry Bird or anyone else cutting up and giggling on the bench during a game in which their team played so poorly that they ought to be embarrassed. Mrs. Thompson can try to scold and name-call at people for reacting the way they did; that’s her immature but tried and true way of dealing with things she doesn’t agree with. But giggling on the bench during a game in which you’re having your ass handed to you — in part because you yourself played really badly — signals in our culture “I don’t give a shit.” Maybe this time there were extenuating circumstances (“happy birthday”) but the reaction of BBN of revulsion over an image that screams “I don’t give a shit” was neither unjustified nor a “stupid overreaction.”

• Mrs. Tyler Thompson
      4:54 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Curious, who did I scold and name call?

• Stuck on Blue
      5:14 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Boy, It’s a good thing you are so perfect. Maybe one day we will all be as perfect as you. The kid giggled a little because fans were singing to him. My Goodness, let’s crucify him. Sounds like your own expectations have disappointed you, not Malik.

• RealCatsFan
      5:48 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

I’m curious too – how do you know what was going through Monk’s mind while he was on the bench? Maybe he was seething inside. Some people hide it better than others. How do you know he was “cutting up and giggling” for any more than the three seconds that the camera happened to be trained on him?

• 4everblue
      7:16 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Judging by you name and your attitude, I’m guessing you are a doctor and IMHO a doctor should know more about I don’t give a shit than anyone!

• catsarerunnin
      7:22 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Who wouldn’t enjoy a good scolding from Mrs.TT?

• Le Docteur
      8:24 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

“Can we please move on” = scold

“Hopefully this is the last post I have to write about this” = dismissive scold

“Stupid overreaction” = name calling.

What people saw on their television was that the player who just had a really poor game was giggling on the bench while the game was still going on. How do I know what was going on in his mind? I don’t KNOW. What I saw was giggling in the midst of an ass-kicking. (Whatever was in his mind, can we agree that his mind did not appear to be on supporting his teammates on the floor?) In American culture, it is not “stupid” to conclude from that TV shot that the player doesn’t give a shit that his team’s ass is getting kicked. You don’t LIKE that it looks that way but it looks that way. BBN reacted to that scene immediately and calling a very natural and justified revulsion of that scene “stupid” is bullying, dismissive and name-calling. It just is. Moreover, your total willingness to accept at face value the player’s explanation and then scold your readers for not accepting it so quickly is contemptuous of your readers. Mrs. Thompson, please, get over yourself or, at a minimum, stop insulting your readers.

• justaguyinthebackrow
      9:07 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

LOL, this has nothing to do with American culture, you’re just an idiot. It is completely stupid to decide how much a person cares from a 3 second shot. Bullying? Smdh. Get over yourself. You made a snap judgement that hopefully you realize was stupid.

• runningunnin.454
      11:26 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

I don’t give a $hit if I never read another dumba$$ comment from Le Docteur.,
      Man, you’re not funny, incisive or clever;
      In fact, when I read your comments, the word that comes to mind is….dullard.
      Spare us your goddamned opinions in the future.

• UK Big Board Update
      3:45 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

“Can we please move on” = scold

“Hopefully this is the last post I have to write about this” = dismissive scold

“Stupid overreaction” = name calling.

#alternativefacts

• catsarerunnin
      8:01 am February 7, 2017 Permalink

Bonjour Le Docteur. Ferme ta bouche! (Shut your mouth in French)

10. KevinM
    5:08 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

A perfect Tipton article because this is what he does best: stir up issues.

Kids will be kids, and now its time for the kids to get ready for the final 1/3 of the season. We simply can’t go under 100% and have things go our way.

11. cab9560r
    5:17 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

I agree with you Mrs. Tyler & the real #BBN fans. This is the most stupid thing Iv ever heard of or seen. I was at Rupp for a game earlier in the year and my seats were on the end where UK does there pregame shoot around and stretching. I was there 90 minutes before tip off and I told the person with me that you can tell Monk loves life because he had a smile on his face from shoot around till the end of the game. He is a great kid and to see someone smile, talk and carry on with players, refs and everyone the way he does is how every damn 1 of us should live life including myself. True fans don’t knit pick & get on a kid for something harmless. #BBNFAMILY should be proud we have players like him and not a brat like freaking Grayson Allen. Be thankful for what we have & yes the team is struggling right now but they will figure it out but don’t throw Monk under the bus just because the “so called fans” want to blow hot air & moan about something. If you don’t like #BBN then go down the road to Loserville and join the cards bunch. #BBNFAMILY #BBNRESPECT.

• RealCatsFan
      5:46 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

cab, you absolutely nailed it. See my post above. Sure hope Mr Perfect (“Le Docteur”) reads this, although I am sure he would much prefer that all of our players go around pouting like Grayson Allen.

Don’t get me wrong – I was absolutely PIZZED during the game. But I was able to take a breath and see this for what it is – something that really isn’t that big of a deal, in the game of life. We will get another shot at Florida back home in Rupp in a few weeks. Hopefully our boys will be focused and ready to administer a little payback.

• cab9560r
      5:56 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Your words are dead on and I read your article before I wrote mine but you hammered home every single thing all these other programs are doing and they aren’t pretty. I was like yourself and upset at the lose but it’s 1 game, yes they have been struggling alittle but you show me 1 team besides Gonzaga who plays in a league that should be Division 2 schools and you will see how many great teams have had a good Ole fashioned woodshed whooping. That’s what the wood shed is for, teaching & learning.

12. Rixter
    6:48 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

Sometimes you have to wonder who’s more mature, the teenagers on the basketball team, or the 40/50-something fans

13. Wildcat Sheli
    10:27 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

I feel that some pro-Ky writers should have clarified the situation once the full story was known. And it was known fairly soon. But it seemed at various pro-BBN media (and of course, those who aren’t) people were talking about the laughter not being a good look, etc. I know it’s great for hit counts and ratings to get the fan base riled up, especially after such a terrible game, but I really feel for Monk on this one. He wan’t treated fairly and I hope he knows his fans support him.

14. catsfan9508
    10:41 pm February 6, 2017 Permalink

I’ll admit I was pretty mad when I first saw the picture of monk laughing posted on twitter. I even replied that’s bs. But once I was told why he was laughing I understood. My thoughts are he’s a teenager barely a legal adult. Did it look bad absolutely. Now that I know why though to me it’s not that big of deal. What I’d be more upset with is his defense and rebounding. He plays one on one ball to much. But as a fan I’m still going to support him and my team through ups and downs. I’m gonna keep my fingers crossed and just hope for the best.