Lunardi picks UK to win region and beat Louisville in the Final Four

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 4.19.44 PM

Finally, we found someone from the national media who likes Kentucky in this year’s NCAA tournament.

After the Cats have been ignored from all of the mainstream writers and talking heads from around college basketball, Joe Lundardi likes Kentucky to escape the South region and reach the Final Four. Once Kentucky’s there, he expects the Wildcats to beat Louisville to move on to the final game, which it will lose to Gonzaga.

He explains:

“Listen to Kentucky coach John Calipari these days and I sense a little cockiness. I think that he thinks his young Cats are ready to roll. And who’s to argue after another regular season and conference tournament championship in the SEC. I like Kentucky all the way to Phoenix, winning the South region and then winning in the Final Four over Louisville, before facing Gonzaga for a national championship.”

Hear it for yourself:

Article written by Drew Franklin

21 Comments for Lunardi picks UK to win region and beat Louisville in the Final Four

1. ChrisHamby
    4:34 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

I thought it was interesting too Mrs TT

2. CatBlue in LR
    4:35 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

Give me a match-up with Gonzaga in the NC all day. I’m dubious of our chances to get that far, but if we do, and that’s who we’re facing, I’ll be pumped.

3. catsfan27
    4:40 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

Don’t understand how Gonzaga fools everyone, year in and year out. I think they’ll lose to Notre Dame.

• Mathlete
      6:41 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

You’re giving them more credit than I am, I have them losing to Vandy

• WeareBBN
      10:25 am March 14, 2017 Permalink

The Zags have beaten UF, same team that blew us out when healthy, and they beat Arizona. They can beat anyone just like 10-12 others. Like us their conference does not have quality in it to prepare you but they beat their opponents by a ton wins of 20-50 points alot down the stretch. If you play bad teams destroy them, they did that. They are different in that Goss is a great guard, better than any they have had. They have a better shot at the FF than we do.

4. Catsby80
    4:40 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

with all do respect, if he thinks Gonzaga is going to win the whole thing, then I don’t buy much stock into him thinking UK will make the Final 4. Personally, I think we will make the Final 4, too, but I also don’t have Gonzaga making it to the final game. Come on, Joe. Fools gold, man.

• Catsby80
      4:41 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

with all due respect *** my fault.

5. AndTheDevil
    4:57 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

This Gonzaga team is way different than past Gonzaga teams. They have a legit NBA big man in Przemek Karnowski. Their guards are really freakin’ good. The one game they lost was because the couldn’t hit anything that night. Not because the other team played good defense. They shoot like 40% from FT line, 20% behind 3, and I think like 30% overall.

They’re long and athletic. Williams-Goss is a bit like Briscoe, except he can shoot from anywhere on the court.

Gonzaga has a top-10 offense and the No. 2-rated defense in terms of points-per-possession. This team is long, experienced, and has beaten the likes of Arizona, Iowa State, Florida. You can say the WCC is weak, but there’s been weaker conferences way before this and no team dominated them like Gonzaga has.

I mean if were using history to determine who has a shot at winning the tourney, then UCLA would be the favorite since they’ve won it more than anyone.

Not to mention Gonzaga probably has the easiest region in the whole damn thing.

• Catsby80
      5:17 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

If you wanna pencil Gonzaga into your final 4, be my guest. But I’m not going to buy their stock until they prove it. They’ve been to 19 straight tournaments and have never made it past the Elite 8. If they win it all this year, good for them, i’ll eat crow (along with the rest of the anti-gonzaga folks out there). Personally, I think Notre Dame is going to knock them out, and hell if Vandy shoots like they did in Rupp, then they will knock them out.

• AndTheDevil
      6:22 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

Vandy would actually have to shoot better than they did at Rupp, since what they averaged that night is what Gonzaga averages on the season.

• The Professor
      6:29 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

Gonzaga had not been tested for at least 2 months before the BYU loss. I watched the game. When things got tight they panicked. They took awful shots and made several unforced turnovers. I don’t think they are battle tested enough to win 5 tight games.

6. herm89
    5:24 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

Made me happy until I saw Gonzaga as his national champ. Joey Brackets has obviously lost his mind.

7. Woods
    6:13 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

I have vandy beating the zags

8. tmurphy
    6:17 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

I was thinking yes and then I saw gonzaga and I was like nope totally false

9. runningunnin.454
    6:19 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, we’re doomed.
    But if we beat UCLA, NC, and UL…we’re not losing to the Zags.

10. BlueHeaven
    6:48 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

I don’t know why everyone is so damn scared of UCLA. UK played a terrible game, barely grabbed a rebound and forgot what defense was in the first game and still only lost by 3. Mark it down, UK will beat UCLA by double digits in the rematch.

• Rixter
      9:21 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

Isn’t Cal something like 12 – 2 in ‘revenge games’ at Kentucky?

11. maximumscott
    6:49 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

If anything. The top teams we play will create more focus for this group going forward, whereas other cakewalk games will not allot teams to play top tier ball.

12. BlueHeaven
    6:49 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

Make sure and record the games because beating UCLA, UNC, UL or Kansas and Duke for our 9th title is going to be one for the ages

13. kentuckybackupplayer
    7:21 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

gonzaga will fold as soon as the play a team with tough interior bigs.

14. Rixter
    9:19 pm March 13, 2017 Permalink

Yeah, Joey Brackets, ya had me until you said Gonzaga. Now, I know you’re either screwin’ with us, or you’re on first day of a week-long bender