Lunardi on the only way Kentucky can improve to a two-seed

Screen Shot 2017-02-24 at 12.00.38 PM

Kentucky’s been holding steady as a three-seed in Joe Lunardi’s Bracketology as of late, with the most recent version putting the Cats in the Midwest region with Kansas (1), Arizona (2), Duke (4), and Wisconsin (5). We’ve been operating under the assumption that if Kentucky wins out, they have a good chance of improving to a two-seed, but Lunardi says that would only happen if the Cats beat Florida tomorrow and then again in the SEC Championship.

“I know they like to think so,” Lunardi said of either Kentucky or Florida moving up to the two-seed. “I think it’s more likely that Florida could because they have an opportunity to sweep Kentucky whereas the best Kentucky can do would be to get a head-to-head split, unless they were to meet in a SEC final, certainly that’s a possibility and we could see that as a game for a two-seed.”

Basically, as we’ve seen time and time again, the weak SEC is working against the Cats as they hope to improve their resume.

“I think the overall strength of the SEC — or the lack of it, if you will — will put both of those teams three or below.”

Win out including two more wins over the Gators…can the Cats do it?

24 Comments for Lunardi on the only way Kentucky can improve to a two-seed

1. ClutchCargo
    1:25 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

How can he say with a straight face that a win over UF in the SEC title game will help? It has been demonstrated time and time again that the conference tourney means nothing unless a team plays its way into the NCAAT by winning it.

• JoeMoney333
      1:31 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

This! The NCAA has even said the SEC & B10 title games don’t play into seeding. They are already done by then. I’m floored at how a “Bracket Expert” can miss on that.

• You guys beat me to it, and it’s not like this is anything new. I remember Rickie P. complaining about it in, I think, 94, or whichever year we were beaten by Kevin O’Neill and Marquette in the NCAA tourney.

• RealCatsFan
      2:57 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

Still don’t know why the hell the SEC couldn’t move the tournament back a day to make it more relevant. Oh yeah, I forgot – it’s the SEC. They don’t give a crap about basketball. Only football.

• TurnerTheBurner
      2:58 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

I somewhat agree. Conference tournaments, in general, help with seeding. Even in the SEC, with a team on the bubble. Having the championship game on a Sunday though, doesn’t change anything…. As we have witnessed.

• ClutchCargo
      3:13 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

^ Yeah, I was actually referring to the championship game results.

2. KevinM
    1:26 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

Please remind me the last time the SEC Tournament had any bearing in seeding? If I recall, we’ve gotten less than the best of the SEC seeds in recent years.

There’s a reason Cal doesn’t like this tournament, and this is probably reason #1.

Can’t the NCAA do its own seeding w/o the Lunardi influence?

3. meeksfor3
    1:37 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

Is this weak SEC that he speaks of the same one that held it’s own against the powerhouse Big 12 and that was with UK not pulling it’s load and beating Kansas.

4. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    2:08 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

In all seriousness, is the SEC really that weak? I know that we have been fed that for years…but I don’t see it. I will admit that I rarely make time for college basketball outside of UK games. Most of what I see are highlights or the occasional part of another game. But the SEC seems to have some pretty good teams to me. So really, are they THAT weak that it would make THAT much of a difference?

• Realme
      2:34 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

They never seem weak when they play us.

• J-Dub421
      2:59 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

If the SEC is weak, then the Big 12 is total crap. Kansas has won the Big 12 what, 12-13 times in a row?? No one ever really challenges them for the title most of the time either. When’s the last time a Big 12 team other than Kansas won and NCAA title? Florida won back to back titles about a decade ago, and has made deep tournament runs since then, so at least UK has some competition in the SEC. Most Big 12 teams are out the first weekend of the tournament.

• Catsby80
      3:13 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

J-Dub – I tried to make that argument, as well, but people just laugh at me. The Big 12 is not a great conference for the very reason that you just mentioned. They have a high conference RPI and all that stuff, but their teams underachieve EVERY single year in the tournament. And if the Big 12 is so much better than the SEC then how did the Big 12-SEC challenge end up in a 5-5 split?

The narrative is a tired one at best. The Big 12 is not that much better than the SEC regardless of the agenda of the self-proclaimed pundits at ESPN and various other networks want to push.

• runningunnin.454
      4:50 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

Interesting question, J-Dub. Big 12 National Basketball Champions? I don’t know.
      I think Oklahoma State won a couple under Henry Iba; but they were called Oklahoma A & M then, and I’m not sure they were even in the Big 12 then.

• Eazy
      5:42 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

That’s what I’ve been saying forever. The Big 12 has won 1 title since the 90s. The SEC has won 6. Yet we hear how great the Big 12 is. They always choke including Kansas most years. The fact that Kansas wins the big 12 every year says more about the garbage teams in the big 12 than it does KU.

• Cals Hoverboard
      5:31 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

What I can’t seem to understand is that the Big12 is getting all the love again this year and is rated as the top conference strength wise according to Power Index, BPI, or RPI. I can’t fathom how they could be near as strong as the ACC. I just looked at the current NCAA RPI list and find nothing to indicate this. The ACC has 6 teams in the top 25 and 9 teams in the top 40. Big12 has only 5 teams in the top 50. SEC has 5 teams in the top 50 as well (with Georgia sitting close at 51). I’ve bought into the Big12 hype in recent years and I have a bunch of torched NCAA tournament brackets to show for it. But I’ll not fall for it again. The SEC has another 6 teams between 51 and 99 that will hardly get a second look for the tournament field but are still good teams that can be dangerous on any given night and are a “hard out” on the schedule when at home (i.e. Vandy, Georgia, TN, Alabama, Ole Miss). Poor VAndy is sitting at #47 on the RPI and they will never get so much as a look, and Arkansas @ #37 probably are outside right now. My point here is, yes the SEC is as strong as we think it is, no we will not get any respect when it comes to the tournament field, and yes the BIG12 is overrated. Just my opinion, and it’s worth the price charged.

5. chimichanga
    2:10 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

Yes Joe, we all know Kentucky’s seed has already been decided. UK can only move down as far as the selection committee is concerned.

6. Realme
    2:37 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

If I ever see Lunardi I’m going to boo him. He doesn’t know right now who will be seeded where any more than a weather person knows what the temperature will be on championship day.

7. Catsby80
    2:47 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

Lunardi is wrong about these things more than he’s right. I wouldn’t buy any stock into what he says, to be honest. For what it’s worth though, I absolutely think we will be the 3 seed with UofL as our 2. I’d truthfully be shocked if we’re not in the same bracket as UofL.

8. 96ChampionBestTeamEver
    2:52 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

We are going to be no higher than a 3 seed and at this point that’s probably about correct. We didn’t take care of business in the big games, other than UNC, and now we pay. This is just not a great team at this point in time. Maybe they will pull a 2011 or 2014 which would be great but as of now I don’t see it, but of course didn’t see it then either.

9. RealCatsFan
    2:56 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

Somebody needs to tell Joe that since Barnhart is on the selection committee, they will no longer screw UK with a terrible draw in the tournament like his current projections indicate. Isn’t it Dook’s turn now to get the toughest road to the FF for a change? 😉

10. chris43
    3:25 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

What a dork! He definitely has a face for radio…..not sure how he ended up on ESPN. SMH

11. secrick
    3:42 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

The weak SEC, that pisses me off. Georgia , Fla, Al, Tenn and Ky no one wants to play them. I guess if every frigging school in the SEC where under NCAA investigation like the acc then we would be better. SCREW Lunardiass.

12. Ken Grizzle
    4:25 pm February 24, 2017 Permalink

Since when did this Big East, Big 12 and ACC shill become such a final say in tournament seedings?

13. 8xchamp