Louisville s*** hitting the fan’s Tuesday Morning Wakeup

Photo via ESPN

Well, today got off to quite the start, didn’t it? Last night, we got a tip that Katina Powell, co-author of “Breaking Cardinal Rules,” would be doing her media tour to promote the book, the hardcover version of which goes on sale today. ESPN aired portions of Powell’s interview with “Outside the Lines” during “SportsCenter” this morning. Here’s what you need to know:

• 5 former Louisville players and recruits confirmed that they attended stripper parties in a campus dorm
  • 1 former player confirmed he had sex with a dancer after Andre McGee paid her
  • Each of the players/recruits attended different stripper parties
  • 3 of the 5 players said they attended parties as recruits and also as players
  • OTL confirmed that the text messages sent to Powell to arrange the parties came from McGee’s cellphone
  • OTL also confirmed a wire transfer from McGee to Powell

I expect we’ll find out more during OTL today from 1:30-2:30 p.m. Powell and her attorneys will also meet with UofL’s general counsel this afternoon at 3 p.m. After lingering on the sidebar for weeks, the story has finally gone mainstream and will only get bigger in the coming days, to the point I actually feel bad for Louisville fans, something I didn’t think was possible. Quit your trolling and just go back to bed, guys.

On “Mike and Mike,” Cris Carter made a good point. While Louisville fans are clinging to the hopes that Pitino didn’t know about the scandal (which Carter believes is “impossible”), it doesn’t matter. If this had happened at Kentucky, do you think people would be letting John Calipari off the hook because he claimed he had no knowledge of it? No, they would be hammering him for it. With each story that comes out, it looks worse and worse for the Louisville basketball program, and more and more likely that Pitino will have to resign.

The OTL segment, if you missed it:

We’ll be monitoring this story all day, but there is other stuff going on. Let’s quickly go over the agenda.

Time to start thinking about Messebbe State

Now that we’ve finally gotten the Auburn game out of our system, it’s time to turn our thoughts to all things cowbell. As Helmet Guy would say, “Messeebbe State will be tough,” but I don’t think the Bulldogs are so good that they should be an 11.5-point favorite. Today, we’ll hear from the offensive coaches and players after practice after one of their most impressive outings of the season. Odds Dawson gets asked another question about the inside draw?

De’Aaron Fox Watch continues

The 2016 point guard visited UK this past weekend for Big Blue Madness and from what we’re hearing, had a great time. The Cats are far and away the favorite for Fox, who told Evan Daniels he wants to make a decision by November 16, the start of his senior season. We’re hearing there’s a VERY good chance Fox goes with the Cats, so stay tuned…

I booked my ticket for Chicago for the Champions Classic

With a smorgasbord of road games this season, I drew the best game out of the pot and will travel to Chicago to cover UK/Duke in the Champions Classic. It’s been far too long since I’ve been in the Windy City, so I’m pretty stoked, even if the game’s on a Tuesday night. Hopefully amidst all the work, I’ll have a chance to check out The Pony, the famous UK bar, and one of the million pizza places Kristen Geil tweets about. If it’s not 100-degrees below zero, I might even try one of her recommended running routes. Not likely, but it’s a nice thought.

Who’s joining me?

The Star Wars trailer dropped last night and I don’t think my husband has recovered yet

In case you’re Shannon the Dude or you were under a rock last night, the new Star Wars trailer dropped, and my husband, a mega Star Wars fan, GEEKED. I’m not really a fan, but even I can admit it was cool. And yes, that was Luke Skywalker’s hand on R2D2.

KSR is live at the Sleep Outfitters in Nicholasville

Come on out to 121 Bryant Drive in Nicholasville to hear the guys talk about the ish hitting the fan in Louisville, the Mississippi State game, and whatever else tickles their fancy. Something tells me it’ll be a good one.

25 Comments for Louisville s*** hitting the fan’s Tuesday Morning Wakeup

1. TJY
    9:08 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

Am I the only UK fan that doesn’t want to see UofL go down? I am a life long UK fan, UK graduate and I live in the city of Louisville BUT I don’t see how UofL getting hit with this is a good thing?

So let’s say it is true and UofL loses scholarships or whatever and has to get a new coach. What fun is it to beat UofL by 25 if they aren’t a top 50 school? What if we only beat them by 10? I don’t understand wanting them to be bad. I would much rather them be a top 10 program and then the W’s mean something. Still hoping this is a few bitter players, UK is the best and I want to play the best, not beat some team with a bunch of 2 star players.

• ClutchCargo
      9:29 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

If they do go down, they will be back. In the meantime, I’ll enjoy watching the drama unfold, including the 25 pt. beatings.

• Dangers
      9:30 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

I see your point, but at the same time, I see this as karmic retribution for all the crap UofL fans have given Kentucky for Cal being “dirty”. And they still do, in one of the most epic instances of the pot calling the kettle black. As for the program, I hope they bounce back and make this competitive again. It’s still nice to see the ones who rip on us for not doing it “the right way” get their come uppance.

• @BallBlog_Chad
      10:02 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

TJY, UL needs to get hit and get hit hard … they have a ridiculous athletic department right now … the football team became a little more relevant by clearly cheating to get Bridgewater and then hiring Petrino, who was cheating on his wife with an overpaid subordinate (sexual harassment) … then they allow Pitino to stay after cheating on his wife, having sex in a restaurant and paying a woman off (AND paying for her abortion) … Jurich is corrupt … they need to clean house and make serious program changes … look at themselves in the mirror … at least try to do things the right way and build themselves back up … then, you and everybody else can decide how competitive you would rather them be year in and year out

• ukjaybrat
      10:08 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

we will get “meaningful” wins somewhere else. after 6 years of louisville fans talking smack about calipari and claiming they win “the right way” and “we are a bunch of cheaters” and it’s “only a matter of time before our banners come down” … it is quite satisfying to sit and watch the entire program burn. I don’t care if they get the death penalty and we CAN’T play them. their fans are getting what they deserve.

2. TKaT
    9:20 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

All Louisville has to do is stitch North Carolina on their jersey and all will be forgiven by the NCAA.

3. OboroCatFan
    9:34 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

By the numbers — if UL goes “down”, the value of the tickets at the YUM, the food dollars spent, the over night stays in Hotels, tourism monies, and much more of the TIF dollars that was to pay for the city of Louisville downtown revitalization will float down the river as if a flood was occurring. the taxpayers of the city and the state itself will be having to pay on a faster pace then expected to keep the YUM solvent. UL may not be abel to take over the YUM when the bankruptcy happens as a result of this.
    be careful what we wish for, we might get it!!

• Knibb High football rules!!!
      9:38 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

OboroCatFan, what you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

• android guy
      9:42 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

Penn State got busted for allowing decades of child sex abuse, and they still didn’t miss a single actual game, though the program was totally revamped. At worst, the same will happen to U of L: an exciting, young coach and a rebirth of our arch-rival into something we can all better respect.

• Aphrodite
      9:42 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

Tax payers are going to pay for that Mecca of adultery and prostitution regardless, so we might as well enjoy watching it burn to the ground.

• Chicago Cat
      9:43 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

OboroCatFan selects business ethics for his next topic of discussion.

• ClutchCargo
      9:49 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

The sweetheart deal U of L got that allows them to have too much control over the scheduling of Yum! is what makes your doomsday scenario possible. If more concerts and other such events could be scheduled there instead of trying to fill in the U of L leftover dates, more money could be made. And I doubt U of L home basketball games has a huge impact on hotel stays like some of those other events would, since most U of L fans live within 1 county or so of Jefferson County.

4. Shigster 3
    9:45 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

First off I am a huge Kentucky fan and have been since 1966. I graduated from there and well as my 2 sons. I don’t feel one bit sorry for Pitino who pissed me off when he took the UL job ,but when are some schools going to finally tell the NCAA enough is enough until they render a decision against North Carolina. That investigation has gone on for two years. Cmon, Really!!!

5. BenHur
    9:46 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

How can anyone be a UL fan at this point? It is just so so nasty over there. I mean, look at that fugly diseased woman. Side note, if you are a woman who slept with any UL basketball player in the last six years, go get tested.

• Teddy Bridgewater in drag
      9:53 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

I will.

6. Pfife
    9:51 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

Powell will be interviewed by Dan Lebetard at 11 on ESPN radio. Not a big fan of the show, but Lebetard is very abrasive and the awkwardness should be amazing.

7. Mixxy
    10:10 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

Maybe this will be the straw that beaks the camel’s back and finally forces Louisville to clean up its act. No more recruiting a rogues gallery of every thug-athlete who can stay out of prison. No more embracing sleaze and rule-bending as a way of life.

8. FATKIDINEAsTKY
    10:12 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

The issues for UofL are deeper than most realize – good ol’ boys trying to keep the females down and to make sure they show a different face in public. The loss of a court case (below) from hostile work environment is not being included in this athletic departments ridicule – yet it should be as it is very reflective of Jurich’s attitude to win at all costs and run it with a very heavy hand.

• ukjaybrat
      10:22 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

yet another piece of evidence that corroborates that SI article. the one that every ul fan threw under the bus saying it is completely untrue… ya ok

• Bourbon Breath
      11:17 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

Yeah the SI article did link the case, they just did it in a sarcastic way so I think a lot of people missed it.

9. Txt
    11:13 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

Jurich is such a control freak. It’s highly unlikely he was unaware of what was going on. Remember everyone does this according to the UofL crowd.

10. Let them burn
    11:15 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

I hope they get crushed and the hammer drops. I’m praying daily that the banner comes down, that would be the greatest thing to ever happen. Maybe all the tard fans will go into hiding and back to the sewers where they belong.

11. UKBlue1!
    11:29 am October 20, 2015 Permalink

Being a UK fan living in Louisville it could be better right now. The Jurich media control news outlets are sweating. Their fans are quiet. After years of L1C4, L’s flashed in my face along with the Tard nation saying Velcro needs to be on our banners. The Shoe is now on the other foot. There is going to be HELL to pay on the day the 2013 NCAA banner comes down.

12. BigBlue100
    12:04 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Are we all just going to ignore that awesome Star Wars trailer?? My God.

13. Just Say'n
    3:03 pm October 20, 2015 Permalink

Why in the hell would this woman meet with u of smell officials and attorneys now? This reduces her credibility to me or is she just this stupid?

I hope they rot in NCAA hell because the program and it’s leaders deserve it, but I don’t get this woman unless it’s really only about the money.