LOOK: Keldon Johnson is driving a McLaren around Hollywood

Keldon Johnson has taken the Draft Cats’ sports car game to a new level.

After Tyler Herro showed off a Maserati and P.J. Washington drove a Porsche, TMZ spotted Johnson in a McLaren 720S Spider around Los Angeles prior to the Clipper-Warriors playoff game. The luxury sports car’s starting price tag is $306,000 and goes up to $317,000.

My gut tells me Johnson or his agent rented the Spider from an exotic sports car company. It’s a pretty car, but it’s probably not a great first investment.

GQ

Driving

Motor1

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

62 Comments for LOOK: Keldon Johnson is driving a McLaren around Hollywood

1. Rod Crandler
    11:42 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Hope he makes it back in time for finals

• gobble gobble
      1:15 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Cars in general just aren’t good investments as far as return

2. 2Dogs
    11:49 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Still can’t figure out why he wouldn’t want to come back to school another year.

• J. Did
      4:22 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

I am going to presume sarcasm; and, that we agree that Keldon of the Keldead’s action – and L.A. pics -are self-explanatory.

3. nicky
    11:50 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

And they wonder why they’re broke when they stop playing…..this is one area where I wish Cal would guide them some more….pretty sure he has said he doesn’t get involved in those matters….If ever a place Cal could have maybe even a bigger impact, it’s this

• WatchutalkinboutWillis
      11:53 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Agreed, former Cat Antoine Walker should come give them a talk.

• Buffalo Cat
      11:53 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

I don’t begrudge these kids from having some fun, but this is really kind of sad. It is a very “look at me” moment that should not necessarily be viewed favorably.

• Mad Max
      12:18 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Dude. WAke up. He didn’t buy the car. It was an agent rental and write off…for Keldon, IT WAS FREE!!!! Some of you people will make up crap to give you a reason to gripe and tell Cal “what he should do”

• Bluebloodtoo
      12:36 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Renting an exotic car for a night is not a bad thing if your budget can support it. I think they should go have fun within reason. This is a time of their life that they’ll never forget. Bad money management would be to do this every week, or buy one and actually drive it daily.

• Luether
      3:31 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

This just confirms what my sources have been saying about Johnson – he values style over substance and is very immature…

• Big Meech
      4:11 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

U can rent a car like that for a day for $500-750 a day. Did it when I was in Miami. Great time, don’t blame the kids

• Big Meech
      4:12 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

And it’s not their money like was already said

• BlueWho
      11:24 am April 20, 2019 Permalink

Which Cal players are broke? Kid can’t even be a kid without being judged and he hasnt even signed yet…I hope the commentators have their own kids life planned out perfectly.

4. WatchutalkinboutWillis
    11:52 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Shouldn’t he be in class? I’m not usually this guy…but this isn’t a good look.

5. UKinIN
    11:56 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Not to be “That Guy” but this is an example of why some players end up in terrible financial shape. Washington, Herro, Johnson, they don’t have a contract, aren’t even guaranteed where they will be drafted, and they’re spending money they don’t have. I’m sure it all works out in the end but this is an example of what kids have to turn down when dealing with agents.

• Glock
      11:06 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

My guess is his agent is paying ALL expenses now.

6. Bobbum Man
    11:57 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

Geez… like nick said it was most likely rented and cost him very little. And you honestly expect him to be in class? I can see ur point I guess but in no way is this a “bad look” most kids going off to the nba are going to be worried about training and the combine not attending classes. They’re about to be millionaires and they’re living their dream from since they were a kid, you can allow them to have some fun and enjoy the moment before they step into the real mans world of the nba

• Nickerbocker05
      6:47 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Couldn’t agree more… thinking the naysayers are a little jellllly.

• Glock
      11:06 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Totally agree

7. AirForceOne
    11:59 am April 19, 2019 Permalink

IMO, Keldon is not mature enough to handle all of this. His game needs improvement, but I know the NBA drafts on potential….get ready for the G League. I’m concerned with the rest of it though. I hope he will have some good advisors around him, or he will be out of the league and broke in 3 years.

• Glock
      11:21 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Do you know him personally? If not why make such disparaging remarks? Hes 19, what would you do if your agent rented you that car for the day with a front row seat to an NBA PLAYOFF game? Say “no thank you i have College Algebra class to attend and i like to take Ubers”?

8. Bobbum Man
    12:04 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

People need to understand what agents give these guys to sign… the front row seats, they’ll rent them cars to drive around while they’re in town etc… he didn’t buy a 300k car… it isn’t Cals fault… he’s a kid enjoying the moment…. everything will be okay

9. IndianaSucks
    12:07 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

I hope that’s a rental

10. UKWillGetNine
    12:09 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

I thought he should come back one more year, not to just work on his game, but also his maturity. Looks like I was correct….

• drew_123
      12:22 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

How in the hell can you comment on his maturity when you don’t even personally know the guy? Come on man, be better.

• IndianaSucks
      12:34 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

It’s called the eye test brother…I didn’t know DeMarcus Cousins but I could tell he wasn’t mature in college. Not saying KJ and DC are remotely the same person.

11. Swizzle
    12:13 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Keldon and herro will be overseas within 2 years. And by their spending habits probably flat broke in 5 or less. I’m I the only one that doesnt pay attention to these guys once they leave UK? Wish them well.

• BleedingBlue1996
      12:19 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

I don’t pay any attention to the “former CATS” in the NBA. In fact, I hate all of the articles about it on KSR. I love KSR and Kentucky Basketball, but it isn’t like they spent more than 6 months on campus. Calipari does a great job getting them to “buy in”, but they will hardly remember the small amount of time spent at UK. Especially compared to a Derrick Willis or Dom Hawkins. Anyway, it is what it is. I just deal with it and hope for number 9 every year. GO CATS!

• JDizzle14
      3:50 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Thats why they put up with Cal yelling at them all game every game for 6 mos…..they know 6 mos of that for a lifetime of cars, money, sex, jewelry, and big egos…..

• Bobbum Man
      12:21 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Lol if u think dom Hawkins will be more remembered than AD, MKG, boogie, wall etc etc. but you two seem like lots of fun you should be miserable together

• IndianaSucks
      12:38 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

I could be wrong but I think he meant they personally wouldn’t remember their time at UK like those two. If I’m right, you can’t compare how an actual kentucky kid will remember his time in campus vs a kid from new jersey, texas, Illinois, etc. No where near the same passion for the program.

• Big Meech
      4:21 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

If they go overseas and play then they will still getting paid to play a game!!! Sounds terrible!!! Some of u all don’t get it

12. BleedingBlue1996
    12:21 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

And NO, it is NOT a good look for us.

13. drew_123
    12:24 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

No wonder these guys try to get out of here so quick. The people in these comments are terrible.

• IndianaSucks
      12:40 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Just now figuring this out? Reading these comments on a daily basis makes me embarrassed to be associated with most of these people.

14. VirginiaCat
    12:27 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

This is a stark illustration of the difference between NBA money and staying in school. It tells me that the NCAA should offer players a stipend that makes college a bit more financially tenable. My concern is that these young men have not yet matured physically and will be soon competing against grown men and facing a long, grueling season. They are barely out of high school. I agree with a previous post that young players need good advisors to help them navigate the financial waters. Buying exotic, expensive cars doesn’t seem like a good first step for players that have yet to be drafted.

15. Big Sexy
    12:30 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Hopefully he and Herro are just driving rentals. Not a good purchase if you don’t have a job yet. I think it would be a good idea to have both Antione Walker and Jamal Mashburn talk to these young guys each year. Mashburn has thrived and killed it financially!!

16. BleedingBlue1996
    12:30 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Bobbum Man, what I said is that THEY will hardly remember time at UK. I NEVER said we will remember them more. Try to read and then comprehend what was said. I would much rather have the 5-stars play, but try to read the comment and actually understand it before commenting.

• Soylentbeans
      3:39 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

It’s good you know what people you’ve never met will and wont remember.

17. Scottscats
    12:41 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Shouldn’t he be in class?

18. BCC
    12:41 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Keldon Johnson seemed to be extremely immature, even for his age, at times this season. He couldn’t even hardly get thru the press conferences during the NCAA tournament because he was constantly giggling and really acted much younger than his fellow freshmen it seemed. I’m sure this car is a rental his agent paid for and no doubt KJ will grow up and seems like a great kid…he is definitely still a immature kid getting ready to enter a man’s world though.

19. beskag2
    1:07 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

I hope these guys don’t have to learn the hard way about managing their finances like Antoine Walker did, fortunately Antoine was able to turn things around and now be a positive example for these young kids.

20. runningunnin.454
    1:13 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Have they all signed with agents? If so, it’s a new low in the draft process. Impressionable kids swimming with sharks that would lie to their mothers if it meant making a buck. Sad, really.

21. StuckinLville
    1:15 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

And people wonder why they leave. Hell i would too.

• chrislarkey
      1:22 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

I hope they took classes in money management and how to live within your means and not blow it all on pretty items

Good luck, take a lesson from the former NBA guys who are broke now.

• runningunnin.454
      1:32 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

So you would risk your future for a shiny new toy?
      “Oh hell, what have we here…all that glisters is not gold”.
      The Merchant of Venice
      Shakespeare

• StuckinLville
      2:38 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

He didn’t live for the car, he left for the career and millions of dollars and that is why i dont blame them. I think a lot of people are just envious.

• Bobbum Man
      2:01 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

So you would have him risk his future to come back and risk injury to maybe possibly earn more money down the line?

22. beskag2
    1:23 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Several years ago I actually bought Antoine Walker’s 2007 Cadillac Escalade when I was living near Florida. As much as I love that vehicle it’s also kind of sad because it’s one of the many things he blew all of his money on as a pro. He must have put at least $40k worth of custom upgrades into it, something I’m sure he later regretted.

• StuckinLville
      2:45 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Yeah but Walker’s problem was taking care of his entourage. Players need to realize not everyone actually gives a damn about you.

• beskag2
      4:35 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

You’re absolutely right, one of the many factors that but pro athletes at risk for future bankruptcy.

• beskag2
      4:44 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Also, adding Louis Vuitton leather interior and a custom $6k grille (among many other things) to his Escalade surely played a role in his financial struggles. But yeah, I’d bet a lot more money than that went into supporting his entourage over the years.

• Glock
      11:12 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Bingo!!

23. davisfeathers
    3:06 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

how are you folks are pretending he is the dumb one for riding around LA in a $300k sports car?

• Glenn Fohr
      3:33 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

In less than three years the kid will be bored at the end of some bench, nearly broke with all the great financial decisions he is about to make, and forgotten. Can someone please council these kids? Someone needed to send him a picture of James Young!

24. jhiggy027
    4:35 pm April 19, 2019 Permalink

Not to be that guy. But that’s actually a 650s, it has a more “modest” price tag

25. Demolition_man
    2:32 pm April 20, 2019 Permalink

The reason you go to college is to get a job. In their case – mission accomplished. So whatever these guys do with respect to going to class or not is their decision, doesn’t matter what it looks like.

26. BackinBlue
    3:12 pm April 20, 2019 Permalink

First: if the agent is paying the. It’s an advance. So yeah bad money management.
    Second: I’m tired of the one or two and done thing. Don’t blame Cal, NCAA, the players. No one. It is what it is. I’m just tired of watching bad basketball for 3 months then they ‘get it’ and leave. Hey more power to them. Just miss they how it was when I was a kid is all. O well

27. Voice of Reason
    1:13 am April 21, 2019 Permalink

Anyone crying because these kids are living their dreams please stfu. Recruits read your trash. Fkn jealous losers.