LIVE UPDATES: The latest on what’s happening at Louisville

Andy Lyons/Getty Images North America

Andy Lyons/Getty Images North America

What’s the latest on Louisville? Stay tuned to this thread for updates. I’ll be updating it as news comes out.

11:39 AM: Adrian Wojnarowski says Pitino’s been trying to come back to the NBA for years but nobody wants him.

Ouch.

11:20 AM: Been fighting through 504 errors to get back to you guys. Multiple reports Jurich is out and rumblings that Pitino is as well. Louisville would hold a press conference at 1 p.m., and neither Pitino nor Jurich will attend. KSR will stay on air until 2 p.m. to cover it.

Meanwhile, here is Pitino leaving his meeting with interim president Postel, which only took a few minutes:

He is now back at the practice facility:

10:55 AM: Pitino has been spotted leaving the UofL practice facility:

10:50 AM: Captain Suntan is reporting that Jurich is out.

10:48 AM: An interesting report from the Courier-Journal: Tom Jurich’s daughter is a brand manager for adidas, the company at the center of this scandal. She joined the company in March. Because of course.

[Courier-Journal]

10:23 AM: Eaves’ report is now on the front page of ESPN:

Meanwhile, bags and boxes are being loaded into a black Lexus at the practice facility:

10:19 AM: Joe Sonka is reporting the announcement could come this afternoon:

Sonka’s phone is also dying, so if you have a Mophie you can lend him, please get down to Louisville’s campus.

10:13 AM: Michael Eaves is reporting that Rick Pitino has told members of his coaching staff that he expects to lose his job:

10:10 AM: Jurich is already gone (from the meeting):

10:05 AM: Tom Jurich is currently meeting with Greg Postel. When asked if he expected to lose his job today, he said, “I have no idea”:

10:02 AM: As Marcus Green points out, Rick Pitino’s contract says that he can only be fired by the UofL Board of directors after ten days notice:

10:00 AM: ESPN’s Michael Eaves says Pitino met with his staff this morning.

20 Comments for LIVE UPDATES: The latest on what’s happening at Louisville

1. ClutchCargo
    10:23 am September 27, 2017 Permalink

F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5…

• ClutchCargo
      10:55 am September 27, 2017 Permalink

F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5-504-504-504-F5F5F5F5F5F5F5-504-F5F5F5F5

2. Booby Petrino
    10:33 am September 27, 2017 Permalink

So I guess Bevin didn’t get enough Tweets to save Jurich. I wonder what the minimum amount of tweets is for the Governor to save a man’s job.
    Also, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to refer to them as UofL again… They will forever be University-6 to me.

3. lexslamman
    10:51 am September 27, 2017 Permalink

I’m waiting for the next information dump from the FBI. You’d think with Calipari’s desire to run a clean program, and with our lessons from the dark days of the 1980s, UK would be the paragon of cleanly run athletics programs in this day and age, but I’m still worried. The Nike AAU scene has its own stable of shady characters and potential bad actors.

• UK Big Board Update
      11:03 am September 27, 2017 Permalink

I’d rather worry about that *when* it happens, not worry about *if* it’s going to happen.

• Jester
      11:59 am September 27, 2017 Permalink

I know I’m just “random guy on the internet” with as much or as little credibility as the next guy, but believe it or not I actually have some experience in this kind of thing.

In a nutshell, the feds don’t announce investigations and arrests until it’s basically all over but the crying. On the flip side, if they’re trying to catch someone else, they don’t give them what essentially amounts to a head start on destroying evidence or concocting alibis by making announcements such as they did yesterday.

Now that I’ve said that, within a month there will be another bombshell that completely discredits everything I just typed.

4. TheDoorKnows
    10:54 am September 27, 2017 Permalink

Where’s the door?

5. lexslamman
    10:58 am September 27, 2017 Permalink

1) Will there be a 2017-2018 basketball season?
    2) If yes, wIll it be played by walk-ons at a handful of small conference schools?

6. Jester
    11:01 am September 27, 2017 Permalink

This is awesome. It’s like Christmas in September. Get bent, cardinal fans. You deserve everything bad that comes your way.

Couldn’t happen to a better school.

7. lexslamman
    11:01 am September 27, 2017 Permalink

*michaeljacksoninthrillereatingpopcorn.gif*

8. BK
    11:04 am September 27, 2017 Permalink

Hilarious comment, priceless….Rick, you don’t belong on this property either!!!!

9. kentuckybackupplayer
    11:05 am September 27, 2017 Permalink

pitino sais you dont belong on this property to the reporters, they should have said , neither do you apparantly.

10. lexslamman
    11:06 am September 27, 2017 Permalink

So what happens with Arizona? What about schools like Kansas and Indiana and Texas A&M, who also have the Adidas connection. What about schools like Oregon and Texas and WKU and Providence who have recently and suddenly enjoyed huge recruiting successes? Will Nike and Under Armor end up entangled in this? I hate Louisville as much as the next Kentucky fan, but this could be the end of the NCAA and I think the big picture is a lot more interesting.

• Jester
      11:47 am September 27, 2017 Permalink

Who says the end of the NCAA is a bad thing (not that I’m inferring you said it was)? Both major political parties in the US are crumbling, that’s a good thing. Print journalism is dying and in its place we’re getting near-instant news reports, that’s a good thing. CDs and cassettes are dinosaurs, and now we have all the music we want at our fingertips, that’s a good thing. It’s the way of the world.

Maybe the NCAA needs to die and something better take its place.

11. ClutchCargo
    11:06 am September 27, 2017 Permalink

In a weird sort of way, I kind of feel sorry for the average University-6 fan. Not the high and mighty East End types, but the regular Joe who isn’t hard to get along with, and I do know several of those. No sympathy at all for the pricks running the athletics department and basketball program, however.

12. ClutchCargo
    11:25 am September 27, 2017 Permalink

Why does Captain Suntan think this is a dark day for UofL and their fans? Anyone who actually cares about the future of the school and the athletics dept should be happy that they are getting rid of the “bad actors” who have caused so much trouble. I remember feeling that way when Eddie Sutton was shown the door. It was tough to see the program have to start from scratch, but it was totally worth it.

13. bdmnky81
    11:27 am September 27, 2017 Permalink

For those who are worried about Cal getting caught up in this, i offer this though process. All the evidence that the FBI has against the people they charged is fairly recent (2016-2017, I BELIEVE). If this had happened near the beginning of Cal @ UK, we should of all been worried, given the pressure he was under to produce as well as him not having a track record of clean behavior. However, since 2012s team, Cal jas had the big sticks of BBN support, his NBA draft success and a championship to use as his tools for recruiting. I loved coach O (and this take is purely speculative) but i dont think it was a coincidence he was encouraged to find a spot of his own soon after Cal aquired all the clean recruiting tools he will ever need. I dont think Cal is a saint, and i would not be surprised if he dabbled in this area at some point in his career, i just dont see any reason he would have done so in the last 5 years.

14. wesmorgan1
    12:12 pm September 27, 2017 Permalink

Just change the mascot to “the Chaos”.

15. oruacat2
    12:55 pm September 27, 2017 Permalink

That blurb about Jurich’s daughter and Adidas caught my eye.
    Wasn’t Jurich’s son paid a lot of money under shady circumstances by the UL Foundation as part of the Yum Center scandal?