Listen to Julius Randle’s interview on Kentucky Sports Radio

Bl3dS59CEAAzUO2

Last night, Julius Randle taped an interview with Matt and Ryan that just aired on the radio show. In case you missed it, here are some highlights, along with the full interview:

— Julius said he told Cal pretty early on in his senior year that he wanted to attend Kentucky, but said he still wanted to take his other visits. Why did he want to come to UK? “Just the Players-First program. Coach invests into the players more than he invests into winning,” Julius said. “Coach loves to win, we all know he loves to win, but he invests into the players and you as an individual more than I feel like any other coach did, and that’s big time for me and my family.”

— What’s the reason Julius taped the interview on Tuesday night? He has class on Wednesday mornings from 10-noon. When Matt complimented him on that, Julius said academics have always been a priority for him. Eat it, Bobby Knight.

Julius admitted that the Florida game in Gainesville was a low-point of the season, something Willie Cauley-Stein has also said. Why was that the low point, as opposed to South Carolina? Julius said it was a combination of the loss and the disappointment of how their comeback in the second half failed: “We were all a little down just because of how we performed, but we were also down because in that game, we showed spurts of the team we possibly could be.”

— Julius had one answer that was better than all the rest. Matt asked Julius about the UK/UofL game in the Sweet 16 and whether or not the team could feel the animosity between the fan bases, and Julius said it was like the Texas/Oklahoma rivalry, but on a different level. Does he hate Louisville, too? “Yeah, I don’t like Louisville.” YES!

— What’s the first thing Julius is going to do when he gets his first NBA paycheck? “I’m going to do something for my mom,” Julius said. “It’s going to be an amazing feeling. I’ve seen all the sacrifices she’s put in, all the work she’s put in. She’s done a lot for me throughout my life. You can’t really pay her back, but I’ll try to.” (That sound you hear is the ladies of the BBN sighing.)

Enjoy the full interview below:

Want to wish Julius good luck in person? Here’s his autograph tour schedule:

Thursday, April 24 — Wildcat Wearhouse — Ashland 6:30 — 8:00 p.m.
Friday, April 25 — Hillbilly Days — Pikeville — 6:00 — 8:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 26 — Hillbilly Days — Pikeville — 11:00 a.m. — 1:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 26 — Lexington Sports Card — 5:30 — 7:00 p.m.
Sunday, April 27- Elizabethtown Mall — 12:30 — 2:30 p.m.
Tuesday, April 29 — Tin Roof — Louisville — 6:00 — 8:00 p.m.

13 Comments for Listen to Julius Randle’s interview on Kentucky Sports Radio

1. Jill
    10:55 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Best of Luck to Julius!!

• Gayle Niemeyer
      3:37 pm April 25, 2014 Permalink

What a breath of fresh air you are, Julius! You have given us so much to be proud of in the BBN. YOu
      re one of a kind and we are so appreciative of your time here at UK.

Your grandchildren will hear of the time you spent at UK with the Big Blue Nation. We were honored to have had you with us, even though it was far too short.

2. James
    10:58 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I don’t like Louisville either. Good answer and good luck to you young man!

3. Mitch
    11:32 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

We used to play Florida in November. Supposedly a compromise was made where UK would get Mississippi State as its constant west opponent in exchange for moving the Florida game to September. Spurrier did not want to risk playing in the cold weather. l believe this occurred in 1992 when the conference expanded because we played Florida in Gainesville in 1991 in November and played them again in September in Gainesville in 1992.

4. Mitch
    11:33 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Sorry – wrong thread.

5. sarah stacy
    11:36 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

I am from the Pikeville area. You have no ideal young man until you come east for a visit lol. Have fun at hillbilly days! Thanks for this season it was insane!

6. DCat
    11:42 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Why didn’t you interview James Young? Good luck to both Julius and James.

7. Dusten
    11:44 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Wow, that was a great interview. He definitely kept it real.

8. OldUKFan
    11:47 am April 23, 2014 Permalink

Good luck Julius! Take good care of your mom.
    GO CATS!

9. Class
    12:03 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Great interview! Thanks guys!

10. Bill Coulter Jr
    2:16 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Best of Luck in the future Julius. Man it has been a pleasure watching you do work. I hope you kill it in the NBA. BBN FOR lIFE BROTHER. GO CATS!!!

11. Wildcat Sheli
    9:11 pm April 23, 2014 Permalink

Julius, if you ever read this, I just want to say “thank you!” You were a joy to watch this year and the tournaments were beyond magical! You young guys handled the pressure like champs and the BBN is so proud of you. You gave us fans an unforgettable season! The more I hear you guys talk to the media, the more I realize that as wonderful of players that you are, you are even better people. Thanks for the memories. May God bless you and keep you in His care. I wish you the very best.

12. Michael smith
    9:44 am April 24, 2014 Permalink

What a joke that skipped the national championship game otherwise this was a good interview.Dont forget Julius and his boys got SHABZZED that night by a tougher team named UCONN