Listen to Dan Issel talk about his time at Kentucky on KSR

(Photo: John Leyba/Denver Post/Getty Images)

Dan Issel made a special guest appearance on Kentucky Sports Radio radio Friday morning during the show’s live broadcast in Lexington. The UK legend stopped by to tell stories from his time as a Wildcat and to update KSR on NBA2Lou’s push to bring an NBA franchise to Kentucky.

Among the many other topics that came up throughout the show, Issel reminisced on game days at Memorial Coliseum, sneaking his friends into games, guarding Pistol Pete and playing for the best fan base. “The way that Kentucky fans feel about basketball and their basketball players, it’s gotta be the greatest program in the country,” he said.

Issel also talked about his recruitment and his school records, reminding us that he broke Kentucky’s single-game and all-time scoring records in the same game, in front of his family. He called it the game he will remember most from his time in Lexington, and we asked if that all-time scoring record will ever be broken.

You can listen to the two-parter with Issel below:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Article written by Drew Franklin

13 Comments for Listen to Dan Issel talk about his time at Kentucky on KSR

1. Bluehender
    3:05 pm July 26, 2019 Permalink

I don’t see the all time scoring record ever being broken. And he did it in three years. Back then freshmen played on the freshmen team. He’s a class act and great representative of UK..

• J-Dub421
      4:03 pm July 26, 2019 Permalink

No one who is good enough to break Issel’s record will ever stay long enough to break it.

• UKFanSC
      9:01 am July 27, 2019 Permalink

True. Very true

• Bluehender
      4:19 pm July 26, 2019 Permalink

That’s it right there J-Dub.

2. The Real LindaS
    11:49 pm July 26, 2019 Permalink

I saw that game with Pistol Pete. We wanted to win but were in awe of Pete. We applauded and cheered for him with some of his moves. He was a great player. Of course, Dan will always be one of my favs. Those were the days!

• Ridge Runner
      6:20 am July 27, 2019 Permalink

That had to be a treat to see. I missed it unfortunately.

• 4everUKblue
      10:02 am July 27, 2019 Permalink

Yep, Pete would score 60 and still lose. I remember it but my memory is not what it used to be.

• BobbyBlue
      12:22 pm July 27, 2019 Permalink

I was there at the LSU game and in awe.
      I can and can only compare Dr J in his prime to Pistol Pete

• Bluehender
      12:44 pm July 27, 2019 Permalink

BobbyB, Dr J was a great player in his own right, but no one before or since was better with the ball in their hands than Pistol Pete. Magic, maybe next on the list..

3. Not Dan Issel
    8:48 am July 27, 2019 Permalink

Although I attended another University for my undergraduate education (suspiciously located in Durham, NC) I managed to get into Memorial Coliseum for the UK-LSU game Issel’s senior year. The gym was packed as usual and when Pete was introduced during the starting lineups, the crowd gave him an extended standing ovation. Never saw that before or since in Lexington. Pete dropped 60+ on UK that night but of course UK won. In the game that year at Baton Rouge Pete had another 60+ game and Issel scored 51, if I recall correctly. It’s been a long time obviously. There have been many great players over the years, and the game itself has evolved over time. But in his healthy prime, Pete has to be the greatest, most skilled player I have ever seen.

• runningunnin.454
      10:57 am July 27, 2019 Permalink

Any university located in Durham is engulfed in suspicion.
      BTW, the crowd may have genuinely meant the ovation for Pete; but, when I was up there, the cheerleaders would hold up 3, or 4, or 5 fingers (never the first opponent introduced) and the crowd would give that random player a raucous standing ovation. Usually that player would look around completely baffled; Hilarious actually.

4. Headhurts
    10:09 am July 27, 2019 Permalink

Unless you attended the games you probablly did’nt see much back then, Aluminum foil on the antenna was’nt that great.

• Bluehender
      12:42 pm July 27, 2019 Permalink

Lol..I had to go outside and turn the antenna. Remember it well..