LISTEN: Nate Sestina’s First Interview as a Kentucky Wildcat

@NateSestina23

@NateSestina23

Once Nate Sestina finishes his final semester at Bucknell, he will become a Kentucky Wildcat.

Two days after committing to UK, Sestina talked about his decision with Curtis Burch and Kyle Tucker on the Locked on Kentucky podcast. Brad Calipari, not John, deserves most of the credit for connecting Sestina with UK.

“Brad went on a foreign trip with one of our assistants last summer and two of my teammates here, so they got to know Brad and know Coach Cal a little bit,” Sestina said.

Once Sestina realized completing his career at Bucknell was out of the question, the assistant reached out to Coach Cal.

“I was shooting free throws in the gym and I get this call from Lexington, Kentucky. He says, ‘Hey, it’s Coach Calipari from Kentucky. How are you doing?’ At first I was like, this is crazy. Nobody where I’m from gets this phone call. Honestly, I’m just super humbled and super blessed to have the opportunity that has presented itself. It’s nothing short of surreal to me.”

Following the phone call with Calipari, they setup a visit to Lexington. He met with many of the players, received some advice from Reid Travis and toured the facilities. Walking into Rupp Arena was an enchanting experience. He cannot wait to play in front of the Big Blue Nation, whether it’s at home or on the road.

“That’s something I’m really looking forward to.” Sestina believes he’s ready for the abrupt transition. “Playing in the NCAA Tournament two years in a row I think has really helped me with that. It’s kind of prepared me for playing in front of that.”

The recruiting pitch was simple and straightforward. He did not need to hear any other school’s feedback.

“I think the thing that I really appreciated about the coaching staff here is they were just brutally honest about everything. They weren’t sugar-coating anything, promising minutes or anything like that,” he said. “If you work hard, you’re going to play.”

His life is going to change forever. A small-town kid, learning how to live in the spotlight of the Big Blue Nation will not be easy, but he’s up for the challenge.

“I never even realized it. This place is crazy.”

Hear about his upbringing, Travis’ advice and more by downloading Locked on Kentucky on iTunes.

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

14 Comments for LISTEN: Nate Sestina’s First Interview as a Kentucky Wildcat

1. BigJohnC
    8:11 pm April 6, 2019 Permalink

Auburn just got screwed!

• jaws2
      8:43 pm April 6, 2019 Permalink

I’m sorry, but I agree. The refs should NEVER be a part of deciding the last second of a game. I’m no Auburn fan, but those kids got hosed after the NO double dribble call. Just sickening to see. I don’t care who wins next, but I hope they beat the ‘story’ of VA.

• ibescootch
      2:49 pm April 7, 2019 Permalink

The refs didn’t decide the game, the Auburn player who fouled the guy did. That was a legitimate foul and can’t be argued. They did miss the DD prior, though.

• Luether
      12:19 am April 7, 2019 Permalink

The refs had nothing to do with the stupid a$$ Auburn foul on Guy’s 3 attempt at the end of the game. That’s what cost them the game…

• grammarpoliceUK
      1:13 pm April 7, 2019 Permalink

The double dribble is what they missed Luether. Should have been Auburn ball with 1.6 seconds left.

• Luether
      5:31 pm April 7, 2019 Permalink

Auburn had no control – ZERO – of the double dribble non-call.

However, they had TOTAL CONTROL of whether or not to foul a guy who’s back is to the basket and has to get off a desperation, turn-around, off balance shot within 1.5 seconds…

2. Fitz
    8:43 pm April 6, 2019 Permalink

How do you figure that got screwed? The call was the right one and explained very well by the rules analyst on the telecast.

• grammarpoliceUK
      1:15 pm April 7, 2019 Permalink

Missed the double dribble with 1.6 seconds left. Should have been Auburn ball.

3. Fitz
    8:48 pm April 6, 2019 Permalink

My apology if you were referring to the non call on the bobbled ball on double dribble before the foul.

4. dctawk
    9:37 pm April 6, 2019 Permalink

This guy is one of my favorites ever already. He will impact us regardless stats

5. BLUEVADER
    12:24 am April 7, 2019 Permalink

Can’t get link to open why can’t it just be posted regular where I can just hit the little triangle to play it!!

6. Racerr11
    6:58 am April 7, 2019 Permalink

Got screwed is correct. Easy double dribble call right in front of them they call that and game over. End the game with .6 foul should never happen. They couldn’t get Duke in so they settled for Virginia. Refs for any game you watch are terrible.

7. neat1ky
    9:39 am April 7, 2019 Permalink

After watching 4 replays that was a no call on the 3 pt shot. The defender was straight up never got off the floor and u can have contact by the way but it in no way altered the shot. I have seen Hero get fouled worse and no call. The bigger problem was the major missed call on double dribble at 4 sec mark that would have ended the game. You don’t call that you definitely don’t call the last call. I don’t care whether u like Auburn or not, they got screwed like we have in the past at the end of a game where refs have determined the ending of the game and that is not their purpose. They did their best to keep Duke in the tournament with missed calls. Go Texas Tech

8. Wildcat homer
    12:48 pm April 7, 2019 Permalink

Officials should not determine the outcome of a game