Let’s answer the 5 weirdest questions players were asked at the NBA Combine

Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 4.06.43 PM

The measurements, agility testing, and on the court stuff at the NBA Combine is important, but equally as important are team interviews. Typically, those interviews include some really weird questions. These aren’t your standard interview questions like where you see yourself in five years or whether or not you would turn something in incomplete on a deadline; these questions are designed to throw players off to gauge their reactions. Alex Kennedy of HoopsHype.com asked players at the Combine to share the weirdest questions they were asked, and because it’s a Monday and we’ve got nothing better to do, I thought I’d share five of my favorites so you can answer in the comments:

1. Why is a manhole cover round?

I’ve never thought about this before, and the answer is actually really clever: it’s because a circular manhole cover can’t fall through the opening like a square one would. I totally spoiled that for you, but what a fun fact, right?

2. What would the janitor at your school say if I asked him about you?

That I drank too much Diet Coke and stunted my growth? (And hopefully that I recycled.)

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 10.42.51 AM

3. Can you explain each of your tattoos?

If Malik Monk had participated in the Combine, teams would get to hear that his large chest tattoo is a tribute to his hometown of Lepanto, specifically “The Woods” where he played pickup basketball growing up.

Also, I have no tattoos.

4. If you were the size of a pencil and stuck in a blender, how would you get out?

According to Kennedy, this question is popular in Silicon Valley to test applicants’ analytic problem solving skills. And I have no idea how I’d answer. Chill on the edge and pray?

5. What drink do you order when you’re in the club?

Yes, players were asked about their drinking and their marijuana habits. I’d be curious to see how many players answered honestly (knowing that teams will do their homework on them) or how many played it safe and lied, especially if they were under 21.

My answer, even though I never go clubbing? In my limited experience, clubs have limited craft beer selection, so I’ll go with Hendricks and tonic, cucumber, no lime.

Your turn if you wanna. Or, just go to HoopsHype.com to read the rest.

15 Comments for Let’s answer the 5 weirdest questions players were asked at the NBA Combine

1. Mathlete
    4:09 pm May 15, 2017 Permalink

4) Assuming I’m just a pencil-sized version of myself, I’d use the measuring marks on the inside like a ladder to climb out. If I’m an actual pencil stuck in a blender, start writing my will on the bottom because I’m about to get obliterated.

• quiggs
      4:18 pm May 15, 2017 Permalink

its a old google interview question. The question reads something like “Shrunk to the size of a penny and something about mass”… anyway, you jump. Like a cricket. You could likely also climb out since.

• BBNDan7
      6:24 pm May 15, 2017 Permalink

Yeah your mass is scaled to a factor of 3 and your strength to a factor of 2 so just like a cricket or such you’d be strong enough to jump straight out. However, I like mathletes answer better lol

2. Irwin R. Fletcher
    5:05 pm May 15, 2017 Permalink

Um, Tyler. You forgot to mention your marijuana habits.

• catsarerunnin
      6:16 pm May 15, 2017 Permalink

You forgot to mention that you’re an idiot.

• BBNDan7
      6:21 pm May 15, 2017 Permalink

God bless I think he was joking chill out lol

• catsarerunnin
      6:51 pm May 15, 2017 Permalink

Mrs.T has been catching lots of crap lately. Got to stand up for her since she’s the best on KSR.

• Mathlete
      8:30 pm May 15, 2017 Permalink

I feel like Mrs T does a fine job of standing up for herself when she feels the need to

• turdyshmurda
      9:53 pm May 15, 2017 Permalink

Dear catsarerunnin,

Cry about it.

Regards,

Turdyshmurda

• catsarerunnin
      7:31 am May 16, 2017 Permalink

Dear Turdy: Obviously you stink. Have a nice day!

3. Dusten
    5:16 pm May 15, 2017 Permalink

The pencil question is pretty abstract. Since I am not the SHAPE of a pencil, it’s hard to really imagine being the “size” of a penicl. Am I the height of a pencil or the width of a pencil? If I’m the height of a pencil it will be pretty easy to get out, if I’m the width of a pencil, I’m probably very short and screwed. Or blended, rather.

4. jim tom
    6:56 pm May 15, 2017 Permalink

mo bamba why are you committing to Texas?

5. jim tom
    6:58 pm May 15, 2017 Permalink

Ha

6. Chaz
    10:00 pm May 15, 2017 Permalink

Stock Microsoft interview question.

If a bear walks one mile south, turns left and walks one mile to the east and then turns left again and walks one mile north and arrives at its original position, what is the color of the bear?

The color of the bear must be White. The reason for this is that the only place where you can end up on the original position after taking those turns and one mile travel is if you’re on one of the Earth’s pole. Incidentally, only polar bears lived on these regions, and polar bears are white colored.

Aren’t these questions fun?

7. CatBlue in LR
    11:04 am May 16, 2017 Permalink

I believe it’s The Woodz, not Woods, per Malik’s tatoo.