LaVar Ball mocks, criticizes his wife for having life-threatening stroke

A few months back I told myself I would never write a post on LaVar Ball again. KSR fans begged for it, too. He’s an attention-seeking lunatic with one above-average NBA player for a son and two other mediocre talents with dreams of the NBA they will almost certainly never reach. (At least they have MyPlayer mode in NBA 2K video games.)

If it weren’t for Lonzo Ball potentially becoming a star NBA point guard in the distant future, LaVar would have no fame and zero voice. But here we are, and now we get to hear about his ability to beat Michael Jordan one-on-one, follow trips to Lithuania, the founding of the Junior Basketball Association (Big Baller League), and his other two sons’ futures as Los Angeles Lakers being spoken into existence, despite NBA executives laughing at LiAngelo’s attempt to make it in the league.

So despite my best efforts to never have “LaVar Ball” in the title of another post, here we are. But this is a story you guys have to see.

Back in February of 2017, LaVar’s wife, Tina, suffered a major stroke that nearly ended her life. Doctors told her there was a strong chance she would die, but she managed to survive. Still, though, they said she’d be left in a “vegetative state” and would never walk again. Against all odds, she overcame and avoided each of them.

Though she still suffers from expressive aphasia, a condition that has left her without the ability to speak, it’s an incredibly inspiring story about her road to recovery.

And then you hear about LaVar’s role in the whole situation.

We already heard that the kids were not allowed to see their mother during the process and the father was out watching his sons play basketball during some of the most difficult times of the rehabilitation process.

LaVar still has not allowed his kids to see their sick mother due to the media attention it would bring, and cause brand sales to diminish,” a member of the Ball family told Armchair All-Americans.

And that’s not the half of it.

In an article published yesterday by the Washington Post, LaVar reportedly teased and tormented his wife about having a stroke and going through the rehab process. In his mind, it was no different than recovering from an injury in basketball.

The quotes from the article are absolutely despicable.

“I coach Tina, like, you know, on a tough basis the same way I do my boys,” LaVar says, and indeed he views his wife’s ailment as a new opportunity to tighten the emotional screws until something breaks down — the weakness or the person. “. . . You can solve a stroke. It just takes time.”

If, on the other side of the planet, Tina is recovering with puzzles and daily repetition, LaVar believes in a different approach. He says it was initially his idea to prohibit Tina from using a wheelchair, not explicitly as a challenge but because, he says, Tina would be “tearing up our house.”

Not allowed to use a wheelchair… Because it’d tear up the house. Are you kidding me?

He then teased her with being comfortable in the cool air conditioning in the house, saying he wasn’t going to wait all day for her and would be inside while she was “moving slow.”

Rather than slow his gait when they’d go to lunch in Chino Hills, he’d point out she’s “moving like an old-ass lady” because she uses a cane or advise Tina to “put your damn foot forward and walk!”

“Keep moving slow; I’m gonna be inside with the AC blowing,” he now recalls telling her. “[Shoot], I’m not waiting all day for you to walk across the street; you better get to moving.”

The best part of it all? He said it was God’s plan to “tuck her away” in the hospital for a while so he could finish what he was doing in the basketball world.

“The Lord said: I’m going to tuck her away in this hospital for a minute, LaVar, till you finish doing what you’re doing,” he says, going on to suggest that his wife’s affliction in no way disrupts their pursuit of success and that he never worried about her because, simply, he’s too lucky for his wife to die young.

“She’ll be a little — excuse my language — [messed] up, but she ain’t gonna die,” he says, and with a videographer maneuvering around the suite, it’s difficult to know whether LaVar truly believes what he’s saying or if it’s just good TV.

Absolute garbage.

For the rest of the Washington Post article, take a look here.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

26 Comments for LaVar Ball mocks, criticizes his wife for having life-threatening stroke

1. JTHinton
    8:34 pm June 15, 2018 Permalink

I had to stop reading halfway through. Lonzo should disown him. He is awful, and I can’t believe anyone would conduct an interview with him.

• wildcat2012
      8:36 am June 16, 2018 Permalink

Jack is an idiot who once again doesn’t do his research. LaVar has helped Tina recover so much that for you to write something like this is disgusting and immature of you. But what do you expect, Pligrim is a joke and why he has a job at KSR IS BEYOND ME

2. maximumscott
    8:37 pm June 15, 2018 Permalink

Pilgrim… who cares. You want Levar Ball to stop? Then you must stop giving him attention. Must be a slow day in news. Had to pull the Ace out the ol sleeve.

3. Kat4Life
    8:44 pm June 15, 2018 Permalink

I wish the curtain would drop on this act.

• UK_fac_boi
      7:45 am June 16, 2018 Permalink

Making fun of handicapped people and calling accidents “gods plan” is the most trump thing ever you Republi-can’t.

• Jiminy Crickets
      10:39 am June 16, 2018 Permalink

The only handicapped people we Republicans make fun of are the Clintons. Hillary and her blabbing and drug addiction, and Bill saying Frankin wasn’t “all wrong” by sexually harassing women, and saying “I guess you can’t do things to people, against their will, like you used to”.

4. Luether
    9:21 pm June 15, 2018 Permalink

LaVar Ball must be a Democ Rat…

• Han
      10:21 pm June 15, 2018 Permalink

All he cares about is money and himself, so I think the other party is much more likely. He’s also a narcissist like our dear lying leader.

• ukkatzfan
      12:02 am June 16, 2018 Permalink

Hillary has those qualities. At least Luether got a Han job out of his post.

5. Matty Arbuckle
    10:17 pm June 15, 2018 Permalink

Lavar is a true POS. Who talks about their wife like that? He really just must not understand empathy, and is so drowned in self-absorbtion. I kinda feel sorry for him.

6. Han
    10:22 pm June 15, 2018 Permalink

He’s probably somewhat kidding, but at the same time, he’s such a self-absorbed douche that he probably does treat his wife like garbage and just figures he’s helping her by being tough.

I can only assume he has some redeeming qualities since she’s not divorced him. Or maybe he made her sign a prenup.

7. Alleykat16
    10:26 pm June 15, 2018 Permalink

I feel sorry for his wife, but never will I feel anything for that man. I never fell for the crap he puts out to the media. My sister says he has got to know something on Magic Johnson cause the Lakers allows him to do what and say whatever he wants about the Lakers Luke Walton. A real piece of horse crap he is.

• Carcrook
      11:57 pm June 15, 2018 Permalink

?? yeah, I’m sure, LeVar knows he has HIV! Bless your heart!

• Jiminy Crickets
      10:44 am June 16, 2018 Permalink

The only persons n in the history of the world that has never been hospitalized for HIV super infections, or none of his family (wife) has ever contracted it, or the only person in the History of HIV to have doubled his weight? Never question the obvious, just believe everything your told. But yea he’s never had problems because he’s rich and can afford it, while numerous millionaires, rockstars, movie stars, and CEOs have all died since magic made his announcement.

• Jiminy Crickets
      10:57 am June 16, 2018 Permalink

The average lifespan TODAY for HIV positive people is 20 years, and medicine has advance 1000x since 1993. When Magic announced, the most dominant treatment was AZT, and drug that by itself killed 40% of people that took it. In 1993, having HIV was like biblical plague. Magic was at the end of his prime, and took a multimillion dollar contract to be the face of HIV. Most if not all scientists thought a cure could be found, they just needed money for research. Of course the only person in the world to have been cured form HIV are magic Johnson and some random Australian guy. Magic has tested negative for HIV for 20 years.
      Conspiracy theory? Sure.

8. J-Dub421
    10:31 pm June 15, 2018 Permalink

Lavar Ball is a terrible person. This has been known for some time.

9. ukkatzfan
    10:40 pm June 15, 2018 Permalink

Kharma says there will be a payday someday.

10. Rick_S
    11:24 pm June 15, 2018 Permalink

Don’t ever post another LaVar Ball story…What’s wrong with you Jack

11. notanidiot
    12:04 am June 16, 2018 Permalink

Look, I know my wife Tina is going through this stroke right now but I am going to be there for her every step of the way. No matter how long it takes. SHE’S MY GIRL FOREVER & SHE’S GOING TO RECOVER.

Or someone can copy and paste sound bites out of context.

• Alleykat16
      10:29 am June 17, 2018 Permalink

The things were said in or out of context. So dont come on here acting like the words were mislead. I’ve been hearing these type of of things being said for a while now. When UK played UCLA in the tourney when Fox dropped 39 on the number 2 pick in the NBA draft the story was out that the children was not even going to see MOM in the hospital. So LaVar is a piece of crap

12. makeitstop
    12:21 am June 16, 2018 Permalink

It normally irritates me when people slow up to rubber-neck a crash site but he just makes it impossible to drive on by… he’s a 10 car pile-up of self-absorption. I don’t want to click, but I just know it’s going to be a new low in the social entropy of our culture, so I glance over and sure enough, a horror show. God works in mysterious ways but muting his wife and not him may be His coup de grace.

13. cats646
    12:53 am June 16, 2018 Permalink

What a piece of trash

14. NurseSav
    9:27 am June 16, 2018 Permalink

He is a garbage human being and I hope someone calls APS. This is bullshit.

15. LegggoooCats
    1:26 pm June 16, 2018 Permalink

Lavar is a despicable human being.

16. DrewP
    1:31 pm June 16, 2018 Permalink

LaVar will face his day of judgement one day……all of this will come back to him in one way or another.