Laura Rutledge explains why she asked Calipari about the Mizzou chants

Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 12.10.36 PM

Laura Rutledge, the SEC Network sideline reporter who made headlines of her own Tuesday night, was a guest on Cole Cubelic’s podcast yesterday to discuss the halftime exchange with John Calipari.

Rutledge explained a little bit about how she prepares for each halftime interview, then went on to detail her question to Calipari about the Missouri student section and what she would’ve done differently:

“When we got over there to do this interview it was so incredibly loud with the student section that Coach Cal wasn’t even sure when we started the interview. And if you watch him he is so distracted by what’s going on with the student section, because it was so loud — I mean credit to Missouri fans it hadn’t been that loud, I think in a couple years there.

He was so distracted by it, I felt like I had to ask him about it. And what happens in our job is we are trying to bring people the absolute sights and sounds of where we are. We are the eyes and ears. We are the people who are in those moments and we have to — in my opinion, our duty is to bring that to the fans. So my only thing that I should’ve done differently, I think, is I should’ve gotten my second question out quicker because he was already walking away… He was trying to get out of there, I asked the second question, he didn’t even hear it and he walked away. So I should’ve gotten it out a little quicker.”

Listen to Rutledge’s comments about the Calipari interview at the 35:15 mark below:

Article written by Drew Franklin

26 Comments for Laura Rutledge explains why she asked Calipari about the Mizzou chants

1. Le Docteur
    1:09 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

Pa-leeze.

2. secrick
    1:14 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

I think Cal did the right thing and walked away he could have made an ASS of himself like Pitino did last night.

3. Mc12
    1:23 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

Sensationalism is the norm

4. unbridled
    1:25 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

If you want to have a tv interview of the visiting coach directly in front of the home team’s student body….you are an idiot.

5. Kevin C
    1:26 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

TLDR?

“I’m blonde.”

6. TJY
    1:30 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

She must have never watched Cal be interviewed before at halftime. If they ask him a question he doesn’t like, he says “sorry I couldn’t hear what you asked” and then goes ahead and talks about whatever he wants to talk about.

7. Basteballer
    1:43 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

So, she did ask him on purpose, which is classless. But this doesn’t really “throw him under the bus” as the caller characterized it.

This is her defense, but why did she go try to apologize? Answer: She knew it was wrong but now she’s emboldened.

• weblex
      2:18 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

“he was so distracted by the students, I had to ask him about it”
      “cal is notorious for walking away from us”,
      “it’s how he operates”
      “he doesn’t feel like he has to answer our questions”
      “he does it to a lot of people”

Not sure how comments like that isn’t meant to blame her terrible question on Cal…like it was his fault.

Not to mention, I don’t think Cal seemed distracted at all. He gave her a full answer that made sense.

• Cals Hoverboard
      5:12 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

So, she went to coach Cal after the halftime interview and apologized to him. For what? I guess for not asking that (poor) question fast enough for him to get an adequate answer out before he walked away? According to her, that was her only “regret”! Your honor…..I’d like to cross examine the witness !

8. Lip Man 1
    1:49 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

As someone who is in the business I can tell you her answer is nonsense.

• Kevin C
      1:52 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

Thanks, but you don’t need to be “in the business” to know that.

9. jaws2
    1:55 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

On occasion people do something not so bright; this was her moment. What was she thinking? Who knows? I think she only compounded her ineptitude by making this ridiculous cover statement. But she’s blonde and attractive so her job is more than secure.

10. Angelo
    1:56 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

Her nose is a tad big. Cal is looking right at it.

• Kevin C
      2:03 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

I’m sure it’s even bigger now, after that BS she told us in the interview…

11. Basteballer
    2:17 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

I finally listened to this (instead of just reading the comments above) and it’s ridiculous. She says the only thing she would have done differently is ask the question faster. BS. Does she expect us to believe that she went out of her way to apologize to Cal for asking the question too late?? Utter BS.

Also, the article above doesn’t include the part where she says Cal walks out of interviews all the time. She’s an idiot.

12. Realme
    2:38 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

She should have just owned asking a stupid question. Could happen to anybody. Her statements about how Cal acts in interviews are unfair. She should have just said it doesn’t matter what question you ask, Cal will just answer the one he wanted you to ask anyways. That would be more accurate.

• ClutchCargo
      4:30 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

Yes, I agree. This attempt at an “explanation” does nothing more than bring attention to it. Cal has already let her off the hook and said he had no idea what she had asked, so why even go there?

13. bakju keha
    2:51 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

NOTORIOUS CAL

14. CatManDo
    2:54 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

I’ll copy my post from a previous article:

“walks out on halftime interview” makes it sound he got up from an interview table and was rude to the interviewer because he didn’t want to deal with the adversity around him. When in actuality, he was ignoring the rudeness of a group of people and didn’t want to bring attention to them, so he simply didn’t answer the question.
    If the question was asked on the court after winning the game, he may have answered with a funny/sly response. But to ask at halftime when your team is in a one point game and you are concerned with the second half, what response did you expect?
    I think he did the reporter a favor by not answering. I am betting most coaches in that situation would have said something negative about either the fans or the question itself. I could easily see Coach K or someone snapping back at her with a “That is a stupid question”.

15. whack0001
    3:01 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

Is this really that big of a deal? Stop being a bunch of sensitive Sallys

16. meeksfor3
    3:58 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

Well I kind of felt sorry for her but since she has had time to think about the situation and she still thinks it was a legit question then she is just incompetent.

17. FartsInGayBars
    4:03 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

Cal should have also said C U Next Tuesday as he walked away.

18. Cals Hoverboard
    5:29 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

We miss Kaylee Hartung on the SEC Network games! And Maria! Guess that’s why they’ve advanced to the Mother Station, because they’re both excellent. I didn’t have any kind of opinion on Laura Rutledge prior to this incident. But I probably will now. Oops!

19. runningunnin.454
    8:13 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

She should have had the opportunity to interview Billy G….she would really have enjoyed that…especially when he asked her out.

20. Kat4Life
    9:44 pm February 23, 2017 Permalink

She’s hot but that explanation is bullshit