Latest mock draft has six Cats going in the first round

(Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)

(Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)

(Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images)

2015 is shaping up to be the Year of the Big Man. The Sporting News’ Sean Deveney’s latest mock draft includes six Kentucky Wildcats, four of them bigs:

2. Karl Towns, New York
6. Willie Cauley-Stein, Utah
18. Trey Lyles, Houston
24. Dakari Johnson, Washington
25. Andrew Harrison, Los Angeles
28. Aaron Harrison, Portland

For the record, Karl is currently taking this sixth most shots on the team.

[Sporting News]

13 Comments for Latest mock draft has six Cats going in the first round

1. Catsby80
    12:01 pm December 30, 2014 Permalink

i would like for andrew harrison to see this list as means for encouragement. seeing his name on the list of potential first rounders would lift his spirits a bit i think. plus, we need him to play with confidence moving forward.

2. Kevin C
    12:18 pm December 30, 2014 Permalink

I still can’t see either of the twins going in the 1st round….especially Andrew. When you look at how guys like Doron and Marquis have done…or NOT done….I just think the twins will end up in the D-League, at best. Since they’ve always played together, and off each other, I think they’d both struggle mightily if they can’t manage to end up on the same roster. Right now, Ulis is so far ahead of both of them, in terms of skill, consistency AND confidence, I really think they both could use another year at least. They’re great kids, but both seem to struggle a lot in marquee games, even when they manage to come up with a big play/shot when it’s needed. The UL game is a prime example ; they can’t do that in the NBA.

• Duuuuuude
      12:32 pm December 30, 2014 Permalink

I sadly agree. I think Andrew’s attitude Saturday was not so much about his bad play, or Tylers great play, but his fear that his draft stock was taking a nose dive. He is not proving that he is an improved player from last year.

• CatsfaninFL
      12:56 pm December 30, 2014 Permalink

First off, Kevin… your comment that they go in the 1st round and end up in the D-League are not mutually exclusive. Plenty of first rounders do just that. Secondly, each draft year is different. In a dominant draft class do I see them going first round? Borderline, but probably not. I think this prediction may be more based on who the writer thinks is going to be coming out and how the twins are compared relatively.

I seriously don’t think Andrew’s draft stock took a nose dive because of one game. That is silly. The one knock on Andrew is his performance against quicker guards. That has been known and was simply reinforced Saturday. Can he do better? Probably, but it’s clearly a known weakness at this point. That doesn’t cause your stock to dive, it just reinforces you not being a lottery pick. He has played better this year as a point guard IMO, but it’s clear he is and will most likely always be a better combo guard than pure point guard.

They may will both probably go pro this year and both will most likely be drafted. I don’t know that they can work on much more at the collegiate level. They will most likely end up doing some time in the D-League but that’s not a bad thing as long as you’re willing to work on your game.

• Kevin C
      1:36 pm December 30, 2014 Permalink

@ CatsfaninFL

If you re-read my comment, you will see that I said “at best”, concerning the D-League, meaning they likely will end up without a roster spot at all…maybe even forced to play overseas. I also said nothing about Andrew’s stock nose diving from 1 game…merely used the UL game as the most recent example. His (and Aaron’s) spotty play is well documented, to say the least.

Bottom line, they both exhibit flaws that doomed other drafted UK players, like Miller, Lamb, Teague, Harrelson, etc. who simply couldn’t perform at the necessary level consistently to make it in the NBA. The twins are struggling to do so in college, even when the pressure on them has relieved somewhat by the play of Ulis/Booker, so their chances of making it in the NBA are very slim.

• J-Dub421
      1:36 pm December 30, 2014 Permalink

The NBA loves big guards though, and Andrew and Aaron are both big guards. Louisville is a bad match-up because the twins both love to drive the lane and U of L hacks and grabs all the time and it doesn’t get called. However, this skill will benefit them in the NBA.

I think Teague got stuck in a few bad situations where he was behind well established point guards. Lamb has always had a weak work ethic; washing out of the NBA was his own fault.

• CatsfaninFL
      2:56 pm December 30, 2014 Permalink

@ Kevin, My bad…2nd paragraph was in response to Duuuuude (or however many U’s he has in there). I just forgot to address him. That’s where the nose dive comment came from.

In response to what you said, I think the D-league is a destination too… I just didn’t think it was as bad as you indicated or the highest they could go. I’m just not sure they have much more of their game to show in college. I think they can both be solid role players in the NBA given their ability and height, but they need to be pushed by players better.

And I think most people were impressed that Harrelson and Miller even made the NBA draft. That is a testament to their work ethic and Cal’s coaching. They weren’t doomed in the NBA by anything more than their ceiling (and both will do quite well for themselves playing professionally elsewhere). Lamb has the talent but doesn’t seem to want to put in the work… as one NBA exec said, NBA teams are ALWAYS looking for a knock down shooter as long as you put in the effort. I don’t think anyone thinks that Teague made the right decision in coming out early. He needed that extra year bad.

3. JVice
    12:59 pm December 30, 2014 Permalink

Andrew over Aaron? What is the logic behind that. Not a troll, just asking.

• cracka
      1:50 pm December 30, 2014 Permalink

I’m not trying to knock anybody, but what has Aaron done this year? He’s taken by far the most shots and has a poor %.

• J-Dub421
      2:43 pm December 30, 2014 Permalink

Aaron’s percentage hasn’t been great this season, but he still has a tendency to hit a big one right when we need it most.

4. Jud
    1:57 pm December 30, 2014 Permalink

I’m not saying all those boys shouldn’t go in the 1st round. I am asking what about Devin. He is only 18 and looks like a NBA 2.

• J-Dub421
      2:40 pm December 30, 2014 Permalink

Devin is projected for the 2016 draft. He’s a phenomenal shooter, but likely needs to add a few pounds before jumping to the NBA.

5. catdaddyd
    4:14 pm December 30, 2014 Permalink

They should stay in school and get their degree. Hopefully grow and mature. They both have plenty of room to improve. I saw another mock, it had Aaron 2nd rd, Andrew not being drafted. But if someone guarantees them first round, then you got to go.