Latest Jarred Vanderbilt injury update from Boise

Will Jarred Vanderbilt play this weekend? Based on today’s comments from Boise, it doesn’t look like it.

Vanderbilt told reporters in the locker room that his ankle is about 70 percent, but he hopes to be able to play if Kentucky is still in the tournament next weekend. John Calipari said that unless Vanderbilt’s ankle improves to 95 percent by game time, he will not play him.

“Now, the kid wants to play, but at the end of the day, I’ve gotta make a decision on what I think and right now, I just don’t think it’s in his interest or ours that unless he’s at 100 percent — I would take 97 percent or 95, but you can’t take 80. You can’t. The games are played at too high a level. Great kid and I love the kid, but my guess is he will not play tomorrow. Didn’t practice with us today, so we’ll figure out from there.”

Calipari said he used this year’s SEC Tournament to figure out how to win without Vanderbilt on the floor.

“This is what made this year hard. It was hard because we had all freshmen. We start five freshmen. I don’t know if it’s ever been done, to have this kind of inexperience. But then Jarred joined our team and we struggled. And then we started going good and all of a sudden, Jarred is a Dennis Rodman, 10, 12 rebounds every game he played, 15, he could have had 20. Passes, runs, athletic. Then, he gets hurt. Before the tournament, we hadn’t played a game. We needed our tournament to figure out how to play in case he cannot play.”

Tomorrow seems like a definite no, but can Jarred’s ankle improve to 95 percent by Saturday if Kentucky makes it? We’ll see.

[mobile_ad]

9 Comments for Latest Jarred Vanderbilt injury update from Boise

1. unbridled
    5:56 pm March 14, 2018 Permalink

I think he plays in the second round. If he doesn’t play in the second round, why bother at that point?

• Aar
      6:09 pm March 14, 2018 Permalink

Because he’s already used a year of eligibility, he makes us better (and quicker which is really relevant against UVA), he’ll have the summer to recover if he reinjures and (for him) it is the best showcase of pro talent potential.

• unbridled
      7:10 pm March 14, 2018 Permalink

Eligibility is completely irrelevant. He’s not a four year guy. If the cats can advance to the sweet 16 without him…they have found a winning recipe, so why would you alter it? Dude if they can be Arizona without him, they are well on their way.

• ukcamel
      10:34 am March 15, 2018 Permalink

This is so dumb. Let’s say Mike Trout gets hurt and the guy who comes in for the Angels for a week hits like .350 with 4 HRs, and the team goes 5-2. Well I guess you’d just release Trout, doing just fine without him, right?

You play the players that give you the best chance to win, and saying Vanderbilt isn’t one of them (when healthy) is either trolling or abject foolishness.

2. Old_Cat_Lady
    7:41 pm March 14, 2018 Permalink

Cal says they had to learn quickly in the SEC tourney to play without Vanderbilt… he must’ve forgotten all the games they played before January

3. postfeeder
    9:04 pm March 14, 2018 Permalink

This ankle seems different than ankles of the past. No pictures no boot not much of a limp. I don,t understand not playing .Shepard had the worst sprain I’ve seen. played the next game and later was final 4 mvp What’s up?

• MadHatter
      10:22 pm March 14, 2018 Permalink

S-A-W-F-T Lol

In all seriousness, I have no clue either. The saga of the mystic mysteries that are Jv’s feet continues.

4. unbridled
    10:46 pm March 14, 2018 Permalink

Who was it that sent out a picture of their ankle a couple years ago before the tournament that looked like their foot was pregnant and eating softball? Wasn’t it Willis?