Last night showcased the best and worst of Rupp Arena

On a night on which John Calipari called on Kentucky fans to help his team get the win over Tennessee, we saw the Rupp Arena crowd at its best…and at its worst. Let’s start with the latter, because ESPN’s Dick Vitale went on a rant about how quiet the crowd was early in a game, the clip of which has gone viral:

“This is one of the great places for basketball,” Dickie V. started. “I love coming here. The passion of the fans. It’s a little quiet right now. What did John [Calipari] say, his friend called up and said, ‘It’s so quiet in there’?”

“Yeah, ‘It looks quiet in there,'” Dan Shulman added. “The Vanderbilt game, it was quiet until the very end. The bar has been set so high that when they struggle — and by Kentucky standards, 17-6 is struggling — I’m not sure the fans know what to do.”

After a montage of fans yawning, checking their phones, and looking grumpy, Vitale continued.

“Look at how quiet they are. Look at how quiet they are! Come on, man, this is basketball! Big Blue Nation, cheer! Get up there! Wow.”

As you might imagine, that clip got a LOT of people talking online, with most using it as ammunition against the lower level fans at Rupp while others argued there wasn’t anything worth cheering for, so why bother? I could go on a lengthy rant about latter but I won’t because, in the second half, the crowd proved my point. It didn’t come at the eight-minute mark as Calipari requested, but with about six minutes left, the crowd stood up for good thanks to this video message from Darius Miller:

From there, the crowd spurred Kentucky to take the lead and Rick Barnes to take a timeout when it got too loud (so loud one fan had to cover his ears):

Sadly, it all fell apart at the end, but not because of the crowd (which won Dick Vitale back over). Once again, Kentucky squandered away opportunities, leading to another disappointing loss. In so many ways, that stings.

Meanwhile, the clip from the first half resurrected all of the old complaints about the lower level at Rupp, including calls for more seating for students around the court or a new arena altogether. While I doubt any of that will actually happen, my main takeaway is this: when Rupp’s loud, it’s one of the best venues in college basketball, which is why it’s totally fair to call it out when it’s not.

We’ve been spoiled with some incredible teams in recent years, players so talented and in sync they didn’t need a push from the crowd to get going; this group is not that group. They need all the support they can get. The second half was a great start.

[mobile_ad]

84 Comments for Last night showcased the best and worst of Rupp Arena

1. GTx2
    3:17 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

That very first picture there………IS the problem w/the lower arena.

• BBNDan7
      3:20 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

I sat second row and this woman next to me refused to stand the whole time and got mad at others for standing cause she couldn’t see

• mj7juice
      3:32 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

That’s the problem. Fans like that shouldn’t be allowed. That entitlement has hurt recruiting and makes Rupp one of the easiest places to play for a visiting team. Rupp is legit not even top 50 hardest places to play. Its a library.

• Yoda
      3:37 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Right mj7juice, because “real fans” have the kind of money to pay for those quality seats that fund the chartered jets, HD scoreboards, locker room that’s better than the NBA, etc. I’ve sat in the uppers for 6 games this year and the top level is NO better than the lower bowl.

• Jiminy Crickets
      3:54 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

I had Season tickets in section 225. Had them for 4 years. Trust me it’s no louder up there. Only difference is I had someone knee in my back and sitting on metal bleachers with exactly 12 inches of bench to sit on. Rupp has always been known to be extremely quiet, unless it’s a huge game.

• DelrayCat
      5:07 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Not one person holding a beer…lol.
      Alcohol would help, but with the ridiculously little amount of room patrons have, especially in the upper level, there would be a whole lot of spills.
      The ONLY solution is a new arena.
      A modern design scheme and changing the student section would go a LONG way to fixing the problem.

• callitlikeiseeit
      7:27 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

GTX I agree about the pic. We are 8 minutes into the game and have a blistering 6 points and I believe 5 turnovers or so. And UT is lighting it up as well, game was terrible basketball to watch. Even broadcasters in the studio at half said they slept through the 1st half, what was there to cheer.

• catdaddyd
      4:08 pm February 8, 2018 Permalink

Maybe they were googling uk fewest posts In a half.

• henryclay99
      1:20 pm February 8, 2018 Permalink

Phog is loud and on campus, a state school and does well with $ for athletics. Rupp needs beer, returning players, and the great-grandparents be given some Redbull. Stand up and Go Cats!

2. GTx2
    3:18 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

What is it that makes them all sit there with their arms folded with a look of consternation?

• KYcats11
      3:39 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

I was at the game yesterday, in the lower level, near mid court. I stood the whole time. I normally only get to one or 2 games a year, and this is the first time i have been in the lower Arena. I now have a totally new perspective. There was an elderly lady not too far from me, who had difficulties standing up… But boy could you hear her voice. I saw some very passionate fans scattered around. But then you have the bad one’s. The middle age couple behind me complained about me standing, I told them that it wasn’t against the rules to stand and that they would too. I left the arena with mixed emotions, particularly about the lower Arena fans. On my way out, the Tennessee fans in front of me turned around and shook my hand. He said that he had been to many different college basketball venues, and that none of them come close to Rupp.

• RC
      4:30 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

I’m tired of the Rupp Crowd Shaming. Do you folks understand how big-time college sports actually works? It’s extremely expensive to support a program like UK, UNC, KS, etc. The donors who can afford to buy season tix in the lower arena are spending major $$$$ with UK year in/year out. Without them we don’t have a first class athletic program. We don’t have chartered flights. We don’t have an $8 million per year coach (+ staff). And frankly, they can behave however they want.

I was also fortunate to attend the TX AM game with my 89 year old father this season. I bought 2 tix in lower arena through the UK ticket office (via Ticketmaster). They were verified re-sale tickets and I spent $400. I don’t know the face value of those seats but I’m willing to believe they’re close to $150 per game. Whoever has them spends a lot of money with UK. And they can sit, frown, stand, cheer, whatever they want during games. I don’t care.

And FWIW, the crowd for TX AM was great. Very loud, very engaged. No issues here. Last night sounded loud on TV when it should have. If you believe this team isn’t playing well because of the Rupp crowd, you’re making excuses. Get over it.

3. terwilliger
    3:19 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Shitty basketball, that’s what.

• ClutchCargo
      3:26 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Or shitty “fans” making terrible comments on KSR.

• Cryingtheblues
      4:10 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

He’s stating the FACTS whether some of you want to look at REALITY or not!!

4. Realme
    3:25 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Tyler you struck exactly the right tone with this. It’s embarrassing to have those particular fans go viral, but there are people in the upper level and end zones that are actually grateful to be there. The rest of them need to be taught how to fan. Clearly they’re coachable, because Darius got them off their butts. They just need to learn how to cheer in order to encourage the team when they’re down, and to get in the opposition’s heads, instead of only when something good happens. Also, getting them tipsy would help make them look more like the average non-SEC crowd.

• dismore
      3:30 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

I disagree. I’ve been going to games for 30 years and the lower level has ALWAYS been quiet. They think they are entitled and don’t need to cheer.

5. mj7juice
    3:25 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

How sad is it UK had to create a video to get people to stand up and cheer. Pathetic.

• Yoda
      3:34 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Almost as sad as the basketball we’ve witnessed.

6. Stump
    3:29 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

The students can’t even fill up the student section. What would you propose? One row of students ringing the court? Ridiculous.

• dismore
      3:33 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

If we want students at the games get rid of Rupp and build on campus. Of course UK seems to only be concerned about pleasing the city so that will never happen. Even Rick Pitino recognized this when he was at UK.

• Yoda
      3:41 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Students don’t and won’t pay the bills for a UK level basketball enterprise. Duke is a private institution, so don’t even make comparisons there…

• Stump
      3:44 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Students aren’t dedicated enough to fill the tiny student section as it is. So, UK should roll the dice and build a new on-campus facility and hope the students show up? Football ticket sales are down and Comm, oops Kroger Field is on campus. Bad plan.

• dismore
      5:50 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Then I say totally get rid of student tickets and let the rich blue bloods buy them. ?

7. Yoda
    3:33 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

The eRupption Zone is a total joke and is PART of the problem. They are usually too busy taking selfies to have a clue what is going on. It’s also a joke that Cal is so desperate with this young teams fragile mentality that he thinks they need constant adoration to succeed. Therein lies the problem: no mental toughness.

• Han
      4:57 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

I still haven’t heard anyone explain why our student section doesn’t count down the shot clock for our own team. Especially with freshmen, who frequently forget the shot clock coming out of timeouts or off in bounds, it would help a lot. Hear it on tv at other arenas all the time, but in every game I’ve been at in Rupp, it doesn’t happen.

• mj7juice
      5:03 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

I totally agree. The eRupption zone is a complete joke.

8. Parker_UKFanNC
    3:40 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

You wonder why it’s so tough for these kids to play hard on the road when everyone in the building is against them and loud and on their feet, while our home games are quiet and lackluster unless a big play happens. It’s funny how spoiled the fans have become because of the success Cal has had in years past.

• mj7juice
      5:06 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Fantastic point. I’ve been leaving comments trying to invoke this reaction. NO visiting team fears playing at Rupp. Conversely, every road game the fans are going nuts. Look at Missouri for crying out loud, their fans crap on the fans at Rupp. PATHETIC.

• RealCatsFan
      8:23 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Yeah, but to be fair, most of those arenas are not nearly as wild when Kentucky is not in the building. Unless it’s a rivalry game, a lot of those arenas are half empty for much of the season. It’s easy to get the fans up for one or two big games. Much harder to get them to bring it when we are playing a team outside the top 25.

9. Stephen
    3:41 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Would public shaming by a local media outlet be considered best or worst of Rupp Arena?

False Light?

• BlueDew
      3:55 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Big money donors ring that floor. There are legislators ringing the floor also. I see them on TV. Let’s not kid ourselves. It a money culture. You got the money you ring the floor. Then you can sit back and say look at ME! I see a lot of people coming in after half time to their seats carrying plates and cups. Food and drink for the rich donors. Hell no, UK and Mitch isn’t giving that money up. Might change however with new tax law. Big money won’t be able to write that 80% of the old taxes.

• Han
      4:59 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Big money isn’t losing any tax loopholes any time soon with guys like Mitch, Ryan and Trump in charge. (I’m a Republican, but there’s no way old money suffers when GOP is in control.)

10. bosshogg24
    3:42 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

And in the mean time, UT’s 3 Star players beats UK’s 8- 5 Star players!

• callitlikeiseeit
      7:30 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

their guys are coached

11. FlatTopsAndBlockedShots
    3:43 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Seats behind the basket are the worst seats in the house yet, the students that are the actual make up of what a university is get shafted with these seats. The first 5 rows should be for the big money season ticket holders on the bench side and the entire opposite side, the rest of the lower ring needs to be students while the die hards can assume a good seat in the second level.

12. bosshogg24
    3:44 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

And in the mean time, UT’s 3 Star players beats UK’s 8- 5 Star players! NO I did not say this before!

• J-Dub421
      4:25 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Yes, you did. It’s comment 10. at 3:42 pm.

13. BluKudzu
    3:50 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

The worst of Rupp Arena was not in the stands.

14. Smyrna_Cat
    3:58 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

I have a friend who went to school at Duke … she went to all the games, jumped around screamed, did the chants, acted the fool … what she DID NOT do was actually watch the game, know anything about basketball, or care (or even know!) wither Duke won or not.

Lets not be blind about what makes a good fan, and what does not.

• Yoda
      9:20 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

100% TRUE. I dated a girl at Duke in the Jay Williams era…she was actually pretty basketball savvy but her friends that went to EVERY game could not tell you one single thing about the team of relevance (Their record, their schedule, their leading scorers, their opponents, etc.).

15. Jiminy Crickets
    4:05 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Let me say this. All major UK sports have this problem, not just basketball. When I first started taking my wife to UK football and basketball games she said “it’s much more of a social event”. Kinda like comparing keeneland to Churchill. Keeneland is much more upscale, and refined atmosphere than Churchill. Lexington has that attitude in general. I went to UK from 1993-1999 (yep 6 years) and it was the same then as it is now

16. Jiminy Crickets
    4:08 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Went to one Duke game about 5 years ago. The part you see on TV (students) is crazy, but the rest of the place sits just as much as anywhere. Only place I’ve been that’s worse than Rupp is Dean dome. THAT is like church

• catsarerunnin
      4:24 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Always positive

• Jiminy Crickets
      4:34 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Like following me around? I’ll send you a link and you can just subscribe. I see all kinds of really negative comments but you solely focus on me saying only place that has more disinterested people is dean dome. I’m flattered for your obsession with me

• catsarerunnin
      6:24 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

No I focus on others as well. Don’t give yourself that much credit. You’re not that important.

• Yoda
      9:21 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

Yup. I went to the Dean Dome in Patterson’s junior season and if you think Rupp is quiet and disengaged, you’ve clearly never been to Chapel Hill.

17. secrick
    4:29 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Making a big deal about nothing. The crowd at Rupp is the same it’s been for 20 years and we have done pretty darn good. I say no changes and quit crying about every dam thing that goes wrong.We lost and we are going to lose again . Not the end of the World. Hell everybody is losing.

• BluKudzu
      4:44 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

How about blaming the Cheerleaders? Aren’t they supposed to get the players going and the crowd as well? If it is not happeneing, maybe start there to change the culture.

Don’t blame the fans.

• runningunnin.454
      9:17 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Which cheerleaders? The National Champion cheerleaders that are representing the U.S. at the Winter Olympics?

18. 2thepoint
    4:43 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

I get angry at people that try to say what others should do after spending their money on tickets. What makes me more angry ate fans that decide to stand all the time and block others that decide not to stand or can’t stand very long. I rarely go to games now because of such rude people. Just becausevyou stand doesn’t make you a better fan!

• Rod Crandler
      4:46 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

So you get angry at people that try to tell you what to do after spending money on your tickets and you also get angry at people who stand that spent their money on tickets and you think they should sit down. Hmmmm…

19. Han
    4:48 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

For anyone who thinks it’s just the blue hairs in the lower arena, think again. I’ve had the good fortune of going 10 times a season, give or take, since Cal got here (have a relative with tickets), and we’re in the upper arena. It’s the same up there. People sitting there waiting for something to get excited about. I tend to stand up quickly and stay up longer, but when everyone else in front of you and around you sits back down, you’re basically just a jerk blocking the view of people behind you, so even the most energetic among us end up sitting back down. Whenever the crowd gets really loud, the other coach calls a timeout and the crowd all sits down, or there’s a foul call against the Cats–same result. The crowd as a whole just does not stay loud.

Commonwealth’s usually the same. I haven’t been in years, but I’d be about the only guy in my section standing up and yelling when we’d get to 3rd down on defense. Most people just wait around for a big play before they get excited.

• Brad
      12:50 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

I agree! Last night when the crowd would get loud for a second Barnes would call a timeout and they would all set back down.

20. Skeps
    6:10 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

To be fair to those two ladies that was a dead ball after a free throw. How long do you really know they were checking their phones? You see them for 5 seconds during a dead ball and blame them for for not yelling and screaming while refs are setting up inbounds pass.

• makeitstop
      1:43 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Good point. It’s an entertainment event, u pay money to get the tickets and if u want to check messages during tv timeouts and lulls in the action, who on earth has the right to criticize them?! When ESPN was noting the quiet crowd they were 2/11 from the field, and it was horrible basketball to watch at times. Painful. When they put on their runs or played good D and got a stop and a run out, people yelled. U want cheers, work for them. Good teams win in hostile environment or in empty arenas like most of the league plays in. The author complains as if it’s the customers’ job to make the product better and that’s not the way life works. Let me ask u – do u stand and yell at the TV non stop or just during the action? (‘Cause of course u yell at the TV ur a fan) U go get a drink? Text ur friends? Attempt futilely to join the KSR group chat? So if u do that in a game ur partly to blame for a loss by a team w 2x more turnovers than assists. IT’S ABSURD.

• catlaska
      4:08 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

I know her and she is awesome. She had just taken a picture of the players and was looking at the picture. Vitale is such a jerk for doing that. And Tyler should not be perpetuating it, but she probably is just going for the hits on her article.

• makeitstop
      8:25 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Exatclty! Attacks on “the fans” or “Rupp” are illogical alibis but as hominem attacks on specific fans as iconic of “the worst of Rupp Arena” let alone implying responsibility on some level for the team’s poor performance are inaccurate, unprofessional and irresponsible. That passes no known test for journalism. They deserve an apology by the author, plain and simple. Her enthusiasm for the program is infectious normally but she badly misses the mark with this. Your friends deserve an apology.

21. RealCatsFan
    8:30 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

I was at the Vandy game, and in the lower arena behind the visitor’s basket. Yeah, it was quiet at times, but when the Cats showed a little light most of them were up on their feet cheering. It got LOUD in there during the OT. Fact is, not very many fans have the energy to jump up and down and yell for 40 minutes straight. I’m 52, so I can’t get as crazy as I did back in college.

22. RealCatsFan
    8:31 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

Also, fact is that Rupp could offer free beer, and someone would bitch about the hangover they get the next morning from drinking it.

23. Sorry for the repeat comment, but:
    For all you perpetually negative Nellies out there: a losing St. Johns team beats Nova, Vandy pounds Georgia. My point? What Runningunnin454 has been preaching all season: P-A-R-I-T-Y. I still don’t know if we will have a run like 2014, but parity is definitely the word this year.

• bigblue2284
      1:37 pm February 8, 2018 Permalink

Yes Chris parity in college basketball is obvious this year. What’s also obvious to basketball fans is that we are seeing very poor basketball being played by UK. Both of those facts can be true. As for the fans not cheering they buy the tickets if you want them excited and cheering play like it.

24. TheBIGGeez
    11:36 pm February 7, 2018 Permalink

I was at that game, lower arena near floor… ?no one stood until last 6 minutes?!… I recall many of us standing and cheering during first half and second. Pretty sure that it wasn’t a few seconds of Darius Miller that inspired us to stand. I apologize for the times I did sit. I thought it would be kind to allow the elderly woman (who looked like she couldn’t stand well) behind me to be able to watch the game, too. I like Dickie V, but honestly, last night it was better to watch his lips moving, but not hear him speak!

25. StuckinLville
    1:25 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

The answer is easy. Lower level tickets cost an arm and a leg and most of the fans that make it feel like a ball game can’t afford those seats or to even go at all. Ticket prices have become outrageous. UK athletics is only worried about money instead of the experience. It’s time to get those old people who pay expensive prices their own press boxes and put the students around the court. Also, lower the prices. $150 for a lower level ticket is ridiculous.

• Yoda
      9:27 am February 9, 2018 Permalink

You clearly do not understand how the economics of a major collegiate basketball program work. Money makes the basketball world go-round, and money gets the seats to show for it. You want “experience”…like what, Mizzou for 2 games a year? That type of “experience” ain’t cashing checks to fund the Camelot of College Basketball my friend.

26. catlaska
    4:04 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Tyler….you should not be perpetuating media spin. You know nothing about the people you just posted a picture of. I happen to know one of them had just taken pictures of the players and was just looking at them. Completely wrong to be shaming people that are some of the best people from KY ever. In the future, verify your content please. Do not get sucked into the spin.

27. theoph
    6:09 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

I really don’t understand why UK fans would turn on each other as the real problem is a mediocre basketball team.

28. jameehkyfan
    7:33 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Unfortunately college basketball has become a business and the generation is spoiled and handed everything on a platter thus not having to deal with the hardships and burdens of true life that develop tough minded individuals. I hate to say it but it has become painful to watch at home let alone spending money to watch it. I get they are young, I get fans are spoiled but are we as true uk fans to give up expectations. It’s what makes us the bbn. All I’ve seen is spoiled uncoachable players who don’t know fundamentals like boxing out playing defense even talking on defense. I’ve seen more negative records broken this year than positive. It seems they have no pride in the uniform like the fans do and I don’t see it changing. It’s costing us in recruiting, attendance and confidence in the team and for me the future of the program I have watched for over 40 years cheering for and defending but sometimes you just run out of excuses. I’ll always love my team no matter what but something needs to change, what, I don’t know.

29. TB112162
    7:42 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Yeah it was the crowds fault that we went 3-14 from the 3 pt line it was the crowds fault we made 15 turnovers it was the crowds fault we went 5 minutes I’m sick of hearing about the crowd.I won season tickets last year went to 15 games and the crowd rocked and a side note to that the loudest the crowd was UCLA and Kansas games I guess the fans cost us those 2 please KSR quit talking about the crowd I’m tired of hearing your bullshit on this site and on the radio about crowd noise

30. KentuckyBoy
    7:46 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

I was at the UK – UGA football game two years ago – when we nearly beat them. That stadium was rocking from start to finish. Fans feed of the energy of the team they are cheering. How many guys on our basketball team come out pumped and excited? I can’t name one kid on our team this year who starts the game with high level energy. They all seem disinterested. And that is somehow the fans fault? Put a product on the floor that has energy. I don’t expect us to win every game. I do however expect us to at least have a will to win, and to be proud to wear our jersey. Let’s be honest UofK doesn’t mean to them (players) what it means to us (fans).

31. TB112162
    7:55 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

?KentuckyBoy

32. TB112162
    8:00 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

You are correct

33. makeitstop
    8:35 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Totally agree – if u saw my remark at 20 the use of these two women to illustrate her point, who it turns out had just taken a picture of the players and was checking it out during a stop in play, got the facts wrong too. Inaccurate ad hominem attacks, bad facts, flawed logic and poor conclusions are not in any way shape or form “journalism” even in this age of journalistic decline. I think they owe the fans in this picture specifically an apology and a general apology to ALL the fans might be an olive branch to the people who actually provide the clicks that allow them to sell ads.

34. Melvit
    8:46 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

To be fair, look at the score and the time left on the clock. How can anyone get up for that kind of basketball?

35. my2sense
    8:52 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

The only reason I can think of that there was so much drama over crowd noise is when the KSR radio crew started talking about how dead it is. And then Cal says for everyone to stand during last few minutes of the game. Sadly our arena is no different than the other big name schools as has been mentioned on this thread. But for some reason there are those that had rather complain about the fans as if they’re the reason the team is struggling! Those media guys such as Dick Vitale only feed off what we give them. He’s not that creative to come up with that thought on his own. KSR helped him out. Good deflection though I guess. Fan support is why the team is struggling. I’ve been to Rupp and try to go 2-3 times a year. I’ve sat in both sections. One is no better than the other except for more comfortable seating in the lower arena. Crowd noise is good when there’s good plays. Eruption zone is no better than the rest of the arena. Plus we wouldn’t be having this conversation if the team wasn’t struggling and ESPN viewers wouldn’t be watching what is claimed to be poor crowds at Rupp had some people not decided the fan base and attendees at Rupp are all with one foot in the grave and the other standing on a banana peel.

36. bigblueTN
    9:08 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

You can’t expect passion in the fans when the team doesn’t have it. This just sums up the distaste for filling teams with players that are only looking ahead to the NBA. Let them skip college if they want and get players that understand how to play basketball and not AAU ball. AAU and street agents funneling the shoe companies money has killed the game.

37. BonnieTayshaunBilly
    9:12 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

So what got the fans on their feet? A video message from a former 4 year player from the Commonwealth who won a National Championship. The fans can carry the team for a little while, but the team has to give the fans something to cheer about. This team as a whole play unenthusiastic and uninspiring basketball. Watching them isn’t an escape from our daily lives. It’s another job. I love that job. But sometimes it really feels like work.

38. UK Lainie
    9:29 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Fans around us in the lower arena were standing early in the 1st half and people were complaining. The Blue Coats came and told people to sit down. How are fans supposed to stand and cheer on the team?

39. UKsuperdave
    9:47 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

Fans, damn it do your job!!! Pay your money for a seat so you can stand the whole time. Yell until your voice is gone. Scream clap and whistle loudly. Come on man, we’d be winning SO much more if only the fans were better. Cal needs to recruit 5 star fans. Remember it’s players first, not fans. I didn’t get paid to coach. I didn’t get a scholarship to be a fan. What do I owe this team please tell me. Should I work the parking lot? Or sweep the floor? I thought I paid to watch a game but didn’t know that I had a job to do. It reminds me of going to someone’s concert for $80 a ticket only to have them stop singing and point the mic to the crowd to sing. We should be fanning the players with palm leaves and feeding them grapes while on the bench. Would that help them play better. Maybe we should console Cal during games so he can ‘coach’ them. Not with actual plays though, we’re all NBA baby.

• makeitstop
      5:00 pm February 8, 2018 Permalink

Hilarious – I represented a minor league pro basketball team, had the “Nicholson” seats, and the coach, who was a lunatic, screamed at us for not being “IN THE GAME” when his defense was collapsing one time. As a measure of the absurdity of this dialogue, we all laughed about it for years, including the coach bc it’s so preposterous. When the team isn’t playing look inward, not outward, for solutions!

40. inside info2
    10:39 am February 8, 2018 Permalink

If I was sitting behind Heather Couch like the two ladies, I’d be involuntarily staring at her instead of my phone, trying my best not to look like a creep. She’s so nice in person.

Rupp is loud when it needs to be and quiet when the team isn’t playing well. I’ve been to a couple of games at smaller colleges. IF they have fans show up at all, the fans aren’t paying much attention to the game. Rupp is fine.

41. slangterm
    12:58 pm February 8, 2018 Permalink

The isn’t much to cheer thing is ridiculous. The whole point of creating atmosphere is sometimes you get up and get loud. Let me me give you an example. Go to a SEC tourney or NCAA game and those FANS get it done. Get out of your seat and make some noise. How about this? On defense, what you cheer for is defense. Every single time. You get loud because the other team is trying to score. That’s what there is to cheer about. It ain’t hard people. It ain’t hard.

42. jaws2
    1:47 pm February 8, 2018 Permalink

We played damn near 8 minutes and scored 7 points. SEVEN POINTS!!!! That’s something that’s real exciting!