This shouldn’t come as a surprise, but Lamar Jackson was voted the Herald-Leader’s 2016 Kentucky Sports Figure of the Year. Jackson was by far the most popular #1 pick, accounting for 114 of the 157 first-place votes, including all of the KSR crew’s, I believe. It’s not every year a Louisville player both wins the Heisman and gives Kentucky fans a win for the ages, right? Tyler Ulis came in at number two, Karl Towns number four, Kendra Harrison number five, and Mark Stoops number seven.
Here’s the top ten, with first-place votes in parentheses and total points:
1. Lamar Jackson, football (114): 1,680
2. Tyler Ulis, basketball (3): 639
3. Whitney Creech, basketball (14): 601
4. Karl-Anthony Towns, basketball (2): 435
5. Kendra Harrison, track & field (3): 423
6. Kelsi Worrell, swimming (1): 420
7. Mark Stoops, football (4): 402
8. Jeff Brohm, football: 348
9. Erin Boley, basketball (1): 223
10. Adam Duvall, baseball (1): 214
Check out the complete voting results over at the Herald-Leader, along with various quotes from the media on their selections, including one from yours truly about Tyler Ulis.