Justin Ford-USA TODAY Sports

Justin Ford-USA TODAY Sports

The growing consensus among NBA pundits is that the Los Angeles Lakers will take Lonzo Ball with the second pick of the draft. From Chino Hills to UCLA, the Ball family is an LA institution, and Lonzo and LaVar have made it clear that’s where they want to be. Despite all the crazy (and there is a lot of crazy), the Lakers seem open to this marriage…maybe. According to ye olde Jonathan Givony of Draft Express, Ball is the heavy favorite for the Lakers, but they’re also intrigued by De’Aaron Fox, whom they met with at the NBA Combine. So intrigued they’d really like to see Fox vs. Ball in a head-to-head workout.

Hahahahahaha…first of all, this already happened. TWICE. Second of all, this will never, ever happen. Do you think the Ball camp is willing to let Lonzo get schooled by Fox for a third time? Also, if you’re De’Aaron, there’s no upside to this; he’s never going to look better vs. Ball than he did in the Sweet 16 in March. Can someone send this tape to Magic Johnson?

28 Comments for Lakers reportedly want a head-to-head workout between Lonzo Ball and De’Aaron Fox

1. Mathlete
    11:06 am May 17, 2017 Permalink

Fox would probably jump at the chance to humble Lonzo one more time, that kid is a relentless competitor. Daddy Ball will ruin our chance at seeing this happen again though, and that should tell the Lakers all they need to know about which one is the better choice.

2. Mc12
    11:18 am May 17, 2017 Permalink

I’m pretty sure Magic got to witness it in person in March

• Ridge Runner
      1:35 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

Yeah kinda stupid really. What rock were the “Lakers” under a couple months ago? I yi yi

3. Duff86
    11:36 am May 17, 2017 Permalink

Maybe Lonzo reminds Magic of his game and he likes what he sees.

• Trevor
      12:22 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

Truthfully, I think you hit the nail on the head. Magic sees himself (kinda) in Lonzo. But does Magic REALLY want to deal with the Ball Circus?

4. BigBlueFootball84
    11:50 am May 17, 2017 Permalink

Reminds me of the 30 for 30 about Reggie Miller, where Pacers fans were pissed that he was drafted instead of some local boy that only people from Indiana knew of. Of course, the the guy all the fans wanted went on to not be known, and Reggie Miller was Reggie Miller.

• ukcamel
      12:43 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

Pretty sure that was Steve Alford (Ball’s coach at UCLA), who is actually quite known, though not for being an NBA star.

5. EdC
    11:59 am May 17, 2017 Permalink

No way the Balls will have the balls to agree to this.

6. EdC
    12:01 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

Daddy loves to compare little Ball to all time greats. NO WAY Michael Jordan would ever back down from something like this.

7. ClutchCargo
    12:02 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

“Hahahahahaha…first of all, this already happened. TWICE.” I took one look at the headline and came here to post the same thing. Maybe somebody will send the Lakers a link to ukbasketballlive so they can watch those 2 games to their hearts’ content.

8. Realme
    12:03 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

Fox should agree just to make Ball look bad when he wimps out.

9. Bluebloodtoo
    12:09 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

Let’s make this much easier… What is DeAaron Fox’s dad’s name? I’m guessing most people that haven’t done a background check won’t know this answer. That’s all you need to know about this choice.

10. KYFAN6582
    12:10 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

Ham needs to take a look at this. Fox possibly made himself several million by his performance vs ball in one NCAA game.

11. blackmilk23
    12:12 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

There is zero chance Lonzo Ball’s agent lets him have a head to head workout against Fox.

• blackmilk23
      12:12 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

And if he does he’s not a very good agent.

• Chuck Norris
      12:30 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

You do know Lonzo’s agent is also his overbearing and obnoxious father, right?

• blackmilk23
      12:35 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

Nah it’s Harrison Gaines. You have to have be licensed to be a sports agent. You are right…. I’m sure his father has a lot of say but Gaines is probably telling the Lakers no on the phone before it even gets to that point. I would.

• Chuck Norris
      1:44 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

Oh, my bad, swore I had heard that he was going to be Lonzo’s agent. But much like the Chino Hills head coach, I’m sure the agent will be working for Lavar more than the kid.

• blackmilk, how did you get your text to appear in bold?

12. JGlass7
    12:12 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

Defense Defense Defense! Ball can’t spell defense let alone play any! Fox plays 3 levels offensively and can rebound, plus is relentless defender! Magic can pick Ball, but Fox will come to LA and blow Lonzo Out Again! !!

13. RealCatsFan
    12:59 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

Wow, I almost forgot what a great game that was. Sad that this team came up oh so short from cutting down the nets. 🙁

• RealCatsFan
      1:00 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

But as the saying goes, don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened. 🙂

14. 2Dogs
    1:07 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

Ball said he’s up for it. No white guys to slow him down.

15. BigBlue4EverUK
    2:06 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

I would LOVE for my Lakers to get Fox!! Get rid of Russell

16. Aar
    2:10 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

Hey, I’m a Fox fan and not close to a Ball fan but Ball has an offensive skill set that matters and is taller than Fox. He’s also heavier with a fuller frame. Taller, stronger guards thrive in the NBA. The city chemistry also affects ticket sales. There is a case to be made that Ball is the better choice for the Lakers even if Fox is the better point guard.

With mobile big men who do well in the open court, the Kings’ style of play may fit Fox better. Unfortunately, I haven’t watched the Lakers recently but I think of them as playing a more post-up than a positionless game and Ball might be a better fit with the Lakers team.

If I had the choice, I’d choose Fox every day based upon performance but I suspect I’d need a serviceable backup for him – at least for his first few years in the league.

• Rivals lists Fox at 6’3″/170 and Ball at 6’5″/165. If those are correct, or if they’re both embellished about the same, I don’t see a huge difference. I suppose being 2 inches taller can make a difference, but with Fox’s speed, I would think it negates it some.

17. Wildcat Sheli
    11:47 pm May 17, 2017 Permalink

I think Fox and Randle would complement each other well; would love to see them play together.