Labissiere is fifth in one new mock draft, absent from another

Getty Images

Two of the most recognized NBA draft websites updated their 2016 mock drafts and they couldn’t be any more different when it comes to projecting what will happen to the Wildcats.

First, NBADraft.net updated its mock yesterday and only included two UK players: Jamal Murray and Alex Poythress. As far as I know, it is the first mock draft to omit Skal Labissiere and the first to include Poythress. Poythress is projected at No. 48 to Orlando, with Murray at No. 11 to Charlotte.

The other is DraftExpress.com, the most trusted draft website, depending who you ask. It foresees five Wildcats turning pro and hearing their names called on June 23:

5.) Skal Labissiere
9.) Jamal Murray
31.) Isaiah Briscoe
47.) Tyler Ulis
55.) Marcus Lee

This just goes to show you how opinions vary in regard to Kentucky’s NBA hopefuls and anything can happen once the season ends.

Personally, I prefer NBADraft.net’s mock as it includes Poythress and implies the returns of Ulis, Briscoe, Labissiere and Lee — although that would make one big mess of a scholarship situation.

NBADraft.net
DraftExpress.com

Article written by Drew Franklin

29 Comments for Labissiere is fifth in one new mock draft, absent from another

1. wjfren01
    12:51 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

I just can’t see an NBA team taking Briscoe that high, shooting has to improve dramatically.

• JusSayin
      1:04 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Its a weak draft and he’s a great defender, and passer. Plus his shooting is fine if he doesn’t think about it as we’ve seen the last 2 games.

2. ChrisHamby
    12:59 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

What is the current scholarship situation? Who can go on full academic? Can we get a breakdown?

• a21CATSfan

Willis
      Matthews
      Mulder
      Humphries
      Floreal
      Wynyard

Poythress is gone as a senior. Murray is the only other player for sure entering early at this point. Floreal’s dad is the track coach so his tuition should be taken care of, or he will be a preferred walk-on (meaning he will receive a scholarship IF we have enough room). With 5 guys already on board, this means that 2 of the group of Ulis, Lee, Briscoe and Skal would have to leave. If Marques Bolden commits 3 of those 4 will have to leave. Another option would be a transfer from Hawkins, Willis or Mulder which is unlikely with all three being seniors next year. Matthews would be most likely; I believe Humphries and Wynyard are here to stay.

• Cals Hoverboard
      6:19 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Here’s my opinion on the scholarship situation. Skal, Murray, and Briscoe leave and get drafted in the 1st Round. Lee will probably not see his stock go much higher than mid to late 2nd round and will be best suited to enter the draft because it’s a down year for draft talent. Poythress graduates. That’s 5 leaving, so that will handle the 5 commitments that we have now. I think Tyler will return, and next year will play himself into a 1st round pick in the 2017 draft (for selfish reasons, I’d love to see him run the team next year with the super freshman group coming in). Don’t say “but we’ll have Fox to be the point guard next season!” Hell, we’re playing 3 point guards right now, and don’t forget the John Wall / Eric Bledsoe experiment! And finally, if Cal can land Bolden, then EJ Floreal’s scholarship is there if needed. Anyway, that’s my opinion, and it’s worth the price charged!

3. kycats13
    1:00 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Right now Murray would be a better NBA player than he is NCAA. His game suits the NBA more than the college game.

• kyle heavy
      1:26 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Please elaborate. I see mediocre athleticism and speed/quickness.

• UK Big Board Update
      7:34 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Yeah, kyle, and you also thought MKG, Goodwin, and Young were struggling in the NBA……..

4. BMT
    1:06 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

I’m pretty sure Skal was missing from NBADraft.net’s previous mock draft, too. I saw it a few days ago (definitely before yesterday) and he wasn’t listed then, either.

5. UK Fan In Nashville
    1:14 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

I don’t want to live in a world where an NBA team drafts Skal before Tyler Ulis.

6. sa_hunt
    1:19 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Lee, Labisierre and Briscoe would make a good bench Drew. Only Ulis would start if those 4 came back and he would be a question mark.

7. The Rest of the story
    1:24 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Who really cares about Skal’s draft status. I only care how UK does and sure I hope Skal is gone after this year so we don’t have to see him here next year.

8. kyle heavy
    1:27 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Give me Tyler Ulis off this team. He is the only player I would draft in 2016.

9. kyle heavy
    1:34 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

A lot of KY one-and-done players have been drafted on potential and it hasn’t quite worked out so far for all of them (i.e. Orton, MKG, Teague, Lamb, Goodwin, and Young). I understand that is a very small portion.

Before you knock me and call me a troll, understand that I am aware of all of the freshmen who have worked out in the NBA and it is a very significant amount. All I am saying is that if Skal were to leave after his freshmen year that we would most likely be inserting him into the “didn’t pan out” category.

I don’t see a freshmen on this team that I would draft in 2016 if I was a GM. Including Murray.

• J-Dub421
      2:02 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

MKG, Goodwin, and Young are all playing in the NBA right now.

• kvltclassic
      2:43 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

MKG is getting paid too.

• Poppschmidty
      4:19 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Lamb was a 2 year player…

• CATandMONKEY
      5:00 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Multiple obtuse posts in one thread…brilliant. Kyle also only sees mediocre athleticism and speed/quickness in Murray. Which NBA team do you scout for, Kyle? Oh, you played high school ball and watch a lot of ball on TV? Well ok then.
      Pretty sure no GM fears losing his job to Kyle on KSR.

• kyle heavy
      5:34 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

My mistake with Lamb. I forgot he played two years.

Also, I didn’t list those players and say they were not playing in the NBA. I said it hasn’t quite worked out for them SO FAR.

MKG is doing pretty well, honestly. I probably shouldn’t have included him, but there were some pretty lofty expectations that he has not lived up to as the #2 pick. Another year dominating college and developing his body and jumpshot more and he may have been the #1 pick in the weak 2013 draft.

James young has played in a whopping 16 games this year and averaging 1.3 ppg.

Archie Goodwin is in his third year and hasn’t proven anything other than he better enjoy his rookie contract because he might not get a renewal. The guy should’ve never gone pro after one year.

At least everyone seemed to agree on Teague and Orton.

CATand MONKEY: thank you for providing zero insight and just bluntly insulting me. You’re bravery over the interwebs is greatly applauded.

• UK Big Board Update
      7:35 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

No, kyle, CAT is right – and you remain a blabbering idiot.

But hey, you got Teague and Orton right.

• UK Big Board Update
      7:59 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Here’s a few upperclassmen and MDAA’s that it “hasn’t quite worked out so far”:

Peyton Siva
      Chane Behanon
      Russ Smith
      Samardo Samuels
      Wayne Blackshear
      Terry Rozier
      Earl Clark
      Carlos Hurt

But again, you got Teague and Orton right……. dumbass.

• CATandMONKEY
      8:14 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Just responding to your posts, man. They were terrible. Did you consider what you typed before you put it up for the world to read? Your post regarding Murray was ridiculous. This original post was just as ill conceived. Now you have tried to back pedal on most of the players that you basically implied were all busts.

MKG is one of the best defensive players out there. Archie, despite his shortcomings is making more than many on here wil see in a lifetime. Teague, well you have some traction there, but again, where are most people with Masters degrees going to make that kind of coin? They can’t all be AD, John Wall and KAT. If we say something poorly or in poor taste in this forum we have to own it. I have on numerous occasions apologized on here for wrong, stupid or overly harsh comments.

If I and the hundreds of other people on here with an opinion similar to mine, misinterpreted your posts as poorly worded, considered or argued, is that OUR fault or yours? If it is my fault, I really would apologize, as evidenced by my comment history. My reply was snarky, yes. I assumed you to be a troll, and that was a quick, kneejerk reaction. For the snarkiness and personal insults I apologize.

10. cdc_uky
    1:45 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Maybe 5th in the WNBA draft…

11. winagain1
    2:26 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

If he ever learns to play basketball he’ll be good! Just hide and watch

12. cdc_uky
    2:29 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

I think he will be good eventually. The real question is…will be stay long enough to develop or get paid on potential and then disappear to Europe?

13. catdaddyd
    4:45 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Most years it seems nbadraft.net is right on the money with the top 20 picks or so. Not necessarily in order but the 20 players.

14. Cousins Fake Tooth
    5:47 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

He was not omitted yesterday on nbadraft dot net. He was not on there last weekend either.

15. The Professor
    6:19 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

Skal has just about the same chance at being the #5 pick in the draft as I do. It would be close to the same odds as winning Powerball.

16. EdC
    9:09 pm January 14, 2016 Permalink

If Skal gets drafted I hope he gets a very trustworthy agent / accountant team and keeps his US guardian out of the mix. Almost any big in the NBA will break him so he better have money banked and safe. Imagine him trying to play against Boogie or Dwight Howard or Davis. Every center in the NBA is a physical force. Skal would be well advised not to keep his umbrella open during a strong wind.