UK Athletics

UK Athletics

During his time in Lexington, Kentucky basketball legend Kyle Macy was a three-time All-American, three-time All-SEC First Team member, was named 1980 SEC Player of the Year, and biggest of all, helped Kentucky win the 1978 national championship. Over the course of three seasons, Macy scored 1,411 career points, good for No. 21 on the all-time list, and totaled 470 assists.

Now, Macy doesn’t know if he feels welcome around the program anymore.

“I’m not as involved with the program as I used to be,” he said in a radio interview on the Query & Schultz show on Fox Sports 1260 this afternoon. “There were times I could go to practice whenever I wanted and feel welcome, but I don’t know if that’s the case now. I don’t really have any desire to go there and go to practice.”

Part of the reason? A few philosophical differences he has with Kentucky head coach John Calipari.

For starters, he thinks neutral court basketball games are “ridiculous” and thinks the Kentucky vs. Indiana series needs to continue as a traditional home-and-home.

“I don’t know all the details, but I know Calipari wasn’t too happy about having to go up there after they lost up there the year they probably could have gone undefeated. It’s probably a little bit of both sides,” he said. “You’ve got to give and take a little bit. I know at one point IU didn’t want to play in Louisville because they felt that was like a home game for Kentucky, and Kentucky didn’t want to go into Bloomington. Nowadays, everyone wants to play these neutral court games, which is ridiculous. If you’re a season ticket holder, give them value to the home schedule, play a home-and-home. You may take a loss, but it’s going to make you a better team and get you ready for the tournament. I’m a little old school that way, I guess.”

The biggest gripe he has, however, is Calipari’s mindset when it comes to putting guys in the NBA and that draft day is the “greatest day in Kentucky basketball history.”

“If you’re going to a university, ideally, it’s for an education,” he said. “And I guarantee you there’s not a professor on any college campus that’s making anywhere near what the college basketball coach is making. And the mindset here in Kentucky, John Calipari will tell you that the greatest day in Kentucky basketball history for him is on draft day when all of his players are making millions of dollars and changing the lives of their families. To me, the greatest day of the year in your school’s history is winning a national championship for your athletic program.”

In his mind, Kentucky shouldn’t be a “training ground for the pros.” The focus should be on getting an education and winning titles.

“I’d say we don’t agree with those issues in particular, and he’ll argue with you till his death that [draft day] is the greatest day,” Macy said. “When he first got here, he made the comment that the greatest moment in Kentucky basketball history was draft day because they’re changing the lives of young men. And it is nice that they are able to do that, but it’s not like it should be a training ground for the pros. Granted, you go to college to get a better paying job, and that’s what’s happening with these kids.”

To close the interview, the Kentucky basketball legend added that he is older now and that times have changed from when he was in school.

And overall, he’s still extremely grateful for the opportunity he had to play at UK and the time he had in Lexington.

“Again, times change. I’m old,” he said. “I’m blessed with the time I had at the school, I’m more than happy about it. I’m not bitter about anything by any means. I feel thankful for the opportunities I had and the way things worked out for me.”

You can find the entire interview below:

[mobile_ad]

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

98 Comments for Kyle Macy sounds off on John Calipari, says he ‘doesn’t know’ if he feels welcome at Kentucky anymore

1. CatfaninCinci
    7:02 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Go home, Macy… You’re drunk!

• gobble gobble
      9:08 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Keep staying away, Macy… the last few seasons have been great without your terrible color analysis during games against terrible opponents

• Cletis75
      9:14 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

I love Kyle and am thankful for the things that he done for the program, but this is absurd! Cal treats Joe B and everyone before him like royalty. Kyle needs to understand that the program has to advance and keep up with the times.
      I think he’s jealous because he never had anywhere near the success as a coach that Cal has. I guess Tyler Herro pushing him down the list on Free throw percentage makes him feel less important. Kyle seems less than humble these days!

• Cletis75
      9:16 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Is it just me, or does he sound like “bitter Bob Knight?”

• John Capilari
      2:28 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Maybe Kyle just needs a hug. Poor guy.

• UKFanSC
      8:53 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Among the stupidest posts in the sites history

2. kykats
    7:08 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Macy is a self centered Ahole.

• UKFanSC
      12:13 pm July 19, 2019 Permalink

Another ignorant 20 something I suspect

3. catsfan1995
    7:10 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Get the hell out of here! Cal does anything and everything for those who’ve come before him. Ridiculous!

4. Headhurts
    7:12 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Things do change, old guys hate change, Cal’s the best for UK

5. RobAdob
    7:14 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Hot take: Publicly disagree and badh the head of any organization or school and see how quickly your welcome wears out.

6. itsfootballtimeinthebluegrass
    7:14 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Servant leadership must mean nothing to Macy. Cal preaches it all the time. Macy is obviously too far separated from the program to have a grip on reality.

7. 4everUKblue
    7:20 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Times have changed Kyle, if that’s the way you feel we don’t need you going to practices and when you become a head coach you can run the program they way you want to.

• HoosierCatfan
      9:25 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

The only thing he said that I agree with is, that we should be playing a home – home series with Indiana. I believe the best thing about college basketball is the environment of home games.

• CrystalBall
      11:47 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Indiana refuses to play a home and home series. Not Cal’s, or UK’s fault.

• njcat54
      2:34 am July 21, 2019 Permalink

This statement is 100% incorrect.

• 4everUKblue
      9:35 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Did you see what happened when we went to Bloomington in 2012?

• HoosierCatfan
      9:04 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Yeah, we got beat. So what? They didn’t get our cherry. We’ve been beat before, we’ll be beat again, but year in, year out. I like our chances and I think home- home series are better for college basketball. Honestly, I’m not sure how my comment became a reply to you. I must have messed up somehow. Either way, I agree with you. Kyle needs to shut it. Even if he felt this way, what does blasting our program on the radio do for it? What purpose does it serve him to do that?

• 4everUKblue
      9:38 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

What happened was they stormed the court and made it an unsafe environment. That was what I was referring to. Storming the court for a game that meant nothing was so high school. IU has nothing to offer us, they need us, we don’t need them.

• J-Dub421
      12:04 pm July 19, 2019 Permalink

IU’s fans were rude and nasty (and racist) to our players’ families in 2012. THAT’s why we won’t go back to Bloomington. Also IU is terrible now, and can go try to rebuild their shattered reputation at someone else’s expense. There is NO upside for us in playing IU.

• UKFanSC
      12:26 pm July 19, 2019 Permalink

Agreed

8. scwhite9
    7:21 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

I had to read this and laugh. I think if one of my former employees or former employees of the company continued to bad-mouth it, they wouldn’t be real welcome. I wouldn’t be rude; but, I certainly would say stop by but I won’t be able to spend much time with you.

Shame on him for bad-mouthing this school and the coach. He just lost all of my respect.

• raymond57
      10:10 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Well the guy was hated at Morehead. He ran the fireman out of the gym that the school let them use for years. He turned off the whole town and got run. He was a legend that needs to keep his mouth shut as he was a terrible coach and that is why he was never asked to be on the staff!

9. ukisgr8
    7:25 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

I met him at a game once. I was sitting next to joe b hall and dan Issel and Macy came by. I ask if he would sign a 3 point sign for this kid who was probably 5. He came over, which seemed nice at first and then he said give me the marker. I said I’m sorry I didn’t expect to meet one of my favs there but the kid was wanting it signed. Frankly I could care less about an autograph myself. Anyway, he huffed off but came back with a pen, said a few curse words and then added that I should never ask anyway for their signature if I’m not prepared. He then sat down at the table and was talking to some dude and shaking his head and the guy looked over. The kids mom even said if it weren’t for her son she’d rip it up in front of him. Rude butt

10. binarysolo
    7:26 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Kyle is a UK legend is he’s obviously free to express his opinions. But he’s butting heads with Cal philosophically because he’s unwilling to see how much college basketball has changed since he was last in uniform.

His argument for a home-and-home with IU shows how out of touch he is. He says “…but it’s going to make you a better team and get you ready for the tournament.” It won’t actually, the arenas where UK and IU would play a neutral site is the kind of venue the teams play in the tournament and that is one of the reasons why Cal prefers to play at these arenas. Assembly Hall is an on-campus arena with a smaller seating capacity.

I can understand he’s upset about Cal’s “greatest moment in UK basketball history” quote, it doesn’t feel good to have someone come to the program long after you’re gone and make such a statement after you lived through your own glory years at the program. But face it, college basketball has changed, we’ve had stars get drafted straight out of HS, we’re currently in the one-and-done era, and we’re about to go back to letting kids go pro right out of HS. The best HS kids don’t want to play in college, that’s just plain fact, and Cal has had to adapt to this. You don’t think he’d rather have Anthony Davis for 4 years? Cal is making the best of the situation and for you (Kyle) to not recognize that is disrespectful to the current program.

And, not for anything, but if you’re so great, how come you’re an assistant at Transy?

11. Bigblueswami
    7:26 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Cal must have stood on Macy’s lawn

12. Alex90
    7:27 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

So he doesn’t feel welcome but then goes on to explain how he doesn’t like UK or Cal…wonder why he’s not welcome

13. bbn606
    7:32 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Cal sure could use Macy’s help on teaching these superstars how to shoot free throws but I guess that is too old school, don’t really have time for that I suppose.

• Cletis75
      11:47 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

He could also use him to teach them how to be more self-centered, and not worry about the welfare of their families!

• brassnux66
      9:18 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

I agree that winning the NC should be priority #1.

• CrystalBall
      11:51 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

It may be a priority to you, or me, but it isn’t to future 5 star recruits. Being a first round pick is their Dream, and it puts millions of dollars in their pockets.
      Winning a national title doesn’t do eithet.

14. jeepsandcoffee
    7:33 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Isn’t college by definition a training ground for professionals?

• nocode96
      8:06 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

15. Biggie
    7:37 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

If UK and Cal are so bad then Kyle Macy should go back where he came from (Indiana), fix their problems, then come back and show us how it’s done!

16. mashman 93
    7:40 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Come on Kyle you sound bitter. Cal is the best and his vision is different from yours. Get out of the 70’s man.

17. check
    7:47 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

I became a life long Wildcat fan while Kyle Macy, Goose Givens, James Lee, Rick Robey, and Mike Philips won the national championship. My peers, such as the Unforgettables, all wanted to be like Kyle Macy, the guy who had nerves of steel.

That said, it’s time for a change, Kyle. We have an awesome team year after year (mostly). And we have a chance more often at a title. We all want titles 9, 10, 11, and 12 for good measure to pass up UCLA. It’s time to suck it up. Are these guys better off going into the NBA or not?

18. Boman2112
    7:56 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

I grew up wiping my hands on my Sox before shooting a free throw. Big fan of K. Macy. But the game and the world has changed. Macy, you are entitled to your opinion but isn’t college about kids becoming the best version of themselves for their future? Cal has it right Macy and if you want to feel wanted then show respect. It’s how you get it in return. That’s old school!!!!!

19. 4everUKblue
    7:56 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Yeah I’d rather get an education and forgo the millions I would earn while achieving my lifelong dream in the NBA. College will always be here and Kentucky players have a life long scholarship, several of them have returned to get their degree later.

20. runningunnin.454
    7:58 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

He says he’s not sure if he’s welcome, and then says he has no desire to go; I’m having a tough time following that…does that even make sense?
    C’mon Kyle, you were always one of my favorites; we didn’t need this from you.

21. makeitstop
    8:06 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Macy was my favorite player growing up… but I deal w people like that all the time who talk about how great things used to be, and don’t embrace change. I miss the days of 4 year guys too… but those days are gone, and so are hard wooden seats and hoping to be the regional game on the local CBS or ABC affiliate. Overall the quality of the fan experience is the best it’s ever been and so are the results. Not since the early 50’s have we legitimately had a chance to win every year. Kyle, as one old guy to another, lighten up and keep in mind in 40 years THESE will be the good old days. That may not get u an invitation back to practices, but it will certainly make u sound less like a cranky old guy.

22. krautdog
    8:06 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Kyle Macy is one of my all time favorite players. If he had played in Bloomington the last time the Cats were there, he would have a better understanding of why Cal won’t go back!

23. louahvullCatFan
    8:07 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Interested to hear Matt and Co.’s comments on the KSR show Friday.

I do agree with Macy (who played before I became a Cat fan as a kid) and respectfully disagree with Cal on one thing: Draft Day is not the most important thing for the program. It’s winning a national title, and although I’m sure there will be plenty of support in this thread and elsewhere for Cal’s position, there are a lot of people who will agree with Kyle Macy on this matter. Winning national titles never become outdated.

I do wonder if older fans would tend to agree with Macy and younger fans with Cal.

As far as the IU rivalry? That IS outdated, at least right now. The only thing the two programs have in common right now is they’re both Power 5.

The IU program has a lot of work to do to right its own ship before it’s in the same galaxy as Kentucky. A lot of older fans remember how great the rivalry was back in the day and if they only brought it back how great it would be again, but one of the main reasons the UK/IU rivalry worked back in the day wasn’t strictly because of geography, it was they BOTH were elite, top 10 programs year in, year out. Bobby Knight was a great villain, and IU always produced great teams and great players.

In 2020? IU produces teams that go to the second round of the NIT and maybe one player every so often who makes an NBA roster (who does Romeo Langford play for again?), and IU darn sure is not gonna get you ready for the tournament. Right now, they don’t deserve an annual game with UK any more than Ohio State, Cincinnati, Illinois, West Virginia, Virginia or Virginia Tech (all in states that border Kentucky). In fact you could probably make a greater case for Ohio State (play the game in Cincinnati).

When IU gets back to top 10 status and is willing to play at Lucas Oil Stadium and the Yum! Center, then the rivalry should be renewed.

• runningunnin.454
      10:34 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Winning a title and having a successful draft night are not mutually exclusive; we won the title in ’12. and the guys had a great draft night.
      Anyone that thinks Cal is not trying to win the title every year is a fool; and, we know Cal’s draft night spiel is for the recruits and their parents…anyone should understand that.
      Kyle can argue semantics if he wants; but, my problem is with his airing all this publicly.

24. dctawk
    8:08 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

He represents the other side of the coin. He played for his school, got all the accolades, won the national championship, went to the league . His opinion is as valid as anyone else’s on this site

25. nocode96
    8:08 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Starting to think Kyle and Mashbumfan are the same guy. I’m grateful to what Kyle did and means to UK, but he just sounds old and bitter, and at least he sort of admits that.

26. dckr
    8:14 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Maybe his criticism is valid, and Cal is a great coach. Both can be true, but not on a sports blog.

27. Basteballer
    8:20 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

It’s sad to see legends self-destruct because the game (and the world) has passed them by. Too bad he couldn’t have found a way to stay connected. Enjoy the sunset, Kyle.

28. Breckbrat50
    8:25 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

I used to be a fan of Kyle’s until he became coach of MSU.
    During his tenure he was asked to have a alumni golf tournament there, Morehead, KY, at Eagle Trace.
    Eagle Trace was well equipped to host any event. Top notch facility. Great course.
    He refused and wanted it played in Lexington, and it was. Where’s the logic?
    He wasn’t a positive figure in Rowan County.
    I was an 80% free throw shooter, in high school, partially because of him but mostly my dad.
    Kyle should try to get the IU or Purdue coaching job and schedule Morehead for a home and home.

29. hohnjii
    8:28 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Kyle is dumb

30. jukeydpt12
    8:29 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

I do agree that cal is paid to win titles for the university of Kentucky and not put kids in the NBA. Cal has said his priority is to put kids in the draft and that is his goal

• tiffincatfan79
      10:03 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

You’re twisting his words. His first priority is to the kids, if that means getting them ready for the NBA, that’s what you do. If those kids live up to their ranking or outplay their ranking then UK will have a legit shot of their goal of winning a national title as well. That fact has been proven year after year since he’s been the coach here.

31. channell
    8:31 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

I agree that winning championships is more important than seeing how many kids are sent to the pros each year. Cal makes over 8 million a year to win championships. I don’t blame him for taking advantage of the one and done system. I’m ready for it to end so kids can go to the NBA out of high school or stay a minimum of 2 years.

• J-Dub421
      10:41 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

We’re in the hunt for a title almost every year.

32. VirginiaCat
    8:31 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

I’m not sure that Macy’s perspective deserves the ire that it has generated. I agree with him that home-on-home games add value to the home schedule. I would rather see us play a team like Indiana at Rupp than a cupcake. His take that Cal values putting players in the pros over national championships is a valid point. Cal has said more than once that the name on the back of the jersey is more important than the name on front. Macy is saying in essence that the focus should be on the program and winning national championships for the school and fans. I see nothing wrong with that. It’s true that college basketball has changed, but I don’t think it is old fashioned or out of date to suggest that the program and its fans should come first. Okay, I have said my piece, so let the assaults commence.

• dckr
      8:40 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

You made great points. Therefore yes the assaults will commence.

• nocode96
      9:01 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

I never agree with you, but you are right here. The only thing I take exception to is that you are implying Cal and UK don’t value wins and championships. That’s not even remotely the case. Maybe Cal values seeing his kids (and let’s face it, he’s their father for their time here, and he’s as proud as any father when their child succeeds) achieve their ultimate goal. And here’s the reality now…these kid’s ultimate goal IS NOT to win a championship, their ultimate goal is to get paid and be a star, and I don’t blame them. So, your point, and Kyle’s point that draft day isn’t what it’s all about is valid, especially coming from a fan, but you can’t act like Cal and our kids don’t value winning while here. Cal and UK have won just as much as any program in his tenure here, and he’s won just as much or more than any coach ever at UK sans Rupp, and he’s done it in 10 years. I will never, ever understand the logic of any UK fan that thinks Cal is bad for us or that we could do better. As others have said in this post, more than 1 thing can be true. As a fan, draft night isn’t the ultimate night for UK in my opinion, but I’m just a fan. I’m not a hall of fame coach, nor am I a kid with generational talent that’s about to be a millionaire at 19. None of that means Cal and the kids do not value winning over everything else while they’re here.

• Cletis75
      9:24 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

We should never put the welfare of our players in jeopardy. The players on the 2012 team told Cal their personal experiences at assembly hall. You can’t go places where unruly fans throw rolled up coins at future multimillionaires and endanger their health. I would never put my children in that position and Cal will never put his players in that position either.

• J-Dub421
      10:38 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Virginia, why is it so impossible for the ultra-negative like you to understand that Coach Cal and our players can want to win a national title AND want to go to the NBA at the same time? Humans are complex beings, capable of wanting more than one thing at a time. Getting to the NBA and winning an NCAA title aren’t mutually exclusive.

• Cletis75
      11:57 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Jdub, as far as I am concerned, the most important thing in life is to put your family first. That’s what Cal teaches these young men. If you win a championship along the way, that’s good too, but always serve your family first!

• 4everUKblue
      9:39 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Well said Cletis!

33. mapcatfan
    8:35 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Really saddens me to read this from Kyle. He’s a beloved UK legend. However, I’m the same age as he is, and I realize it’s a whole different game now. He thinks it should be about getting an education first for these guys? He’s in fantasy land.
    If OADs were around in ‘78, then UK wouldn’t have had that same team he had the privilege of being a part of and probably no championship either. He wants Cal to only recruit guys that want to stay four years? We’ve been there and done that, Kyle. And even though we’d all selfishly like to see them stick around longer, I’m guessing most UK fans prefer the current pace of winning and going to Final Fours.

• [email protected]
      10:39 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Well said. Although somewhat disappointed in some of his remarks I’ll remain a fan of Kyle Macy.

34. kentuckybackupplayer
    8:49 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Kyle needs to keep his family dirty laundry in house, not classy. He was a head coach and failed. Maybe Jealousy Syndrome is kicking in.

35. bailey000
    9:38 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Free education. Yay. If I don’t make the nba I can be a teacher and coach. Meanwhile, let’s make an absolute fortune exploiting 18 year old kids.

36. ohiokatfan
    10:08 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

The purpose of college is to help one make money. I totally get why Cal celebrates on draft night. Those kids don’t need degrees to get paid.

37. UK Maine-iac
    11:18 pm July 18, 2019 Permalink

Ask any 18-year-old kid, I don’t care if he’s a purebred Kentuckian or from Indonesia, if you could choose one or the other, a NC or guaranteed millions, which would it be? The answer is easy.

But I see these kids busting their butts out here every year, trying to win, win a championship and get to the next level. It’s ok to have more than one dream, Kyle. He sounds like that old man in church who sees a set of drums and thinks the world’s ending.

38. Cmstew502
    12:25 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

This is click bait and both you and KSR should be ashamed

39. FryanLemond
    1:19 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

What the F IS UP KYLE?! No what did you say? WHAT THE F DUDE STEP THE F UP KYLE

40. bigbluehank
    1:35 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Macy is spot on with his statements regarding Cal’s desire to get players to the NBA rather than win titles. It’s refreshing to see such an ambassador for the program call it like it is.

41. UKfanforlife
    6:38 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Macy wasn’t that successful as a coach. I have heard him as a color guy for games and was not impressed. Yeah, he was a great college player. Speaking out to the media saying that he is butt hurt and doesn’t feel welcome? Those are the kinds of things that bitter, unhappy people do. After making those kinds of comments, why would anyone who is currently associated with the program want him attending practice or any function for that matter?

I am sure he was guided on how to talk to the media, during his playing days. He is a former coach, so he had experience talking to the media in that area. Talking bad about his alma mater to the media is a bad look for him, not UK. I have never met him in person. Don’t really know what kind of guy he is. I can tell you that people can change over time and think that people are against them, when it could be their own actions and personality that pushes others away. Best of luck to the former Cat and hope he can find happiness in his life. If he has grand kids, maybe he just needs to take them fishing.

42. UKFanSC
    8:46 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

I consider it blasphemy to talk badly about Macy. He is program royalty and anyone who feels differently was likely born too late to appreciate what he did.

• brassnux66
      9:18 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Agreed!

• runningunnin.454
      9:39 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

I am not talking badly about Kyle; as I said, he is one of my all time favorites; he completely befuddled Magic and Michigan State in the ’78 Regional Final, outscoring Magic 18-6.
      However, if he feels like this, he should just talk to Cal instead of making it all public. Hell, Cal has even lobbied for R. Pitino to return to Rupp to be honored.

• 4everUKblue
      9:49 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

I was born well before Macy and probably you SC, I was a fan, but I am not a fan of any former player, legend or not, airing this kind of undue criticism toward the program. And I don’t refer to any former player as royalty no matter how good they were or what they did for the team. RG is right, going public like this is unacceptable.

• UKFanSC
      12:22 pm July 19, 2019 Permalink

Respect your opinion, as it is apparently shared by many on this site. I feel differently, as do many UK fans across the nation. I support Cal 100% , but also have reverence for what Macy did in his time at UK and you should too. Can’t change history. Just like I do not support tearing down Confederate monuments, I don’t support tearing down the memory best point guard in program history.

• 4everUKblue
      12:34 pm July 19, 2019 Permalink

I respect what Macy did while he was here, reverence might be going to far for me. Just because you were once great doesn’t mean you get a pass for life to act disrespectful toward the program that gave you the opportunity to become great. I do agree with you on the Confederate monuments, I just don’t see disagreeing with Macy’s actions as tearing down his memory.

43. mrpokerchips
    10:58 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

What a crybaby

44. JDizzle14
    11:51 am July 19, 2019 Permalink

Well said, Kyle…..

• rdcore2
      1:31 pm July 19, 2019 Permalink

Surprise shocker, some 40 years ago this guy did something for a program and now he doesn’t feel welcomed because he can’t adapt to 2019. Guess what has been, there’s plenty I don’t agree with in the way the world is moving but it’s going there with or without you.

These commenters are cancer for the most part and he’s right there with it. Cal is a successful business and the griping fans are the hourly employees picking their nose complaining bc the company doesn’t do more for them. Well tough luck, business is booming and he’s been for 10 years now. We are tier 1 college basketball and so is Duke. Then there’s about 3 schools sitting at 1b behind us. After that the entire NCAA world is chasing to be us. Same goes for Alabama Clemson rn. Some drunk who got left behind in 1970 doesn’t deserve my attention nor the spotlight of this program.

Btw great article on Demarcus cousins – family for life! Even that drunk uncle Kyle no one talks to at Christmas until years go by and he apologizes for being an idiot

45. bbn606
    2:06 pm July 19, 2019 Permalink

Louie Dampier and others come by often and feel welcome. I think this one is on Kyle.

46. CopenhagenCat
    2:47 pm July 19, 2019 Permalink

I agree and disagree. He sounds bitter because times have changed. I wish Cal would say more about winning championships. I know it’s hard to win one. But we should have had two at least right now. Glad the kids are making a great lives for themselves in the nba but would be nice to win another championship. Cal does a lot of good for the Kentucky program, Kyle should have mentioned it. Sorry Kyle your time had passed Kentucky Basketball moves on.

47. Wildcat homer