Ky Kernel columnist writes “Calipari would be wise to leave UK”

calipari-laugh

I’ll admit, I don’t read the Kentucky Kernel very often, and after reading the article sent to me this afternoon, I realize why. On Wednesday, columnist Joshua Huff wrote a piece entitled “Calipari would be wise to leave UK” in which he argues that fans’ hysteria over the various NBA rumors surrounding Cal is reason enough for him to get out of town. In fact, Huff pretty much opens the door and tries to push Cal through it.

Some excerpts:

This outcry and panic about Calipari possibly leaving for the NBA is ridiculous. So much so that no matter how much future success he enjoys, the minute he leaves – or “bolts,” as UK fans will say – he’s going to be ridiculed and thrown under the bus.

I doubt fans will line up along the road as he heads to the airport with signs wishing him well. He might as well fly out of Louisville; surely they’ll be happy to see him go.

First of all, yes, the day Calipari leaves will be upsetting, but I doubt fans will “ridicule him” and “throw him under the bus.” In fact, I would imagine that fans WOULD line the streets to wish him well. I do like that Louisville joke, though.

Another one:

Coaching at UK goes in two different directions: Success leads to greater opportunities (the NBA), and failure leads coaches down paths traveled by the likes of Tubby Smith and Billy Gillispie.

Some fans may have had their issues with Tubby, but I don’t think anyone would label a coach that won a national championship a “failure.”

There’s more of that over at the Kernel if you want it. Or not.

[Kernel: Calipari would be wise to leave UK]

26 Comments for Ky Kernel columnist writes “Calipari would be wise to leave UK”

1. Dan
    3:41 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

Kentucky Kernel…at no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

• Will
      11:27 am July 4, 2015 Permalink

I wish we could up and down vote comments on here so I can give you my fake internet points for your awesome comment.

2. realme
    3:41 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

Do us a favor, Joshua Huff: Don’t ever claim to speak for the BBN, or to know how we would react to something. If you were one of us, you would never have said such silly things. Didn’t read the rest, in case this is just someone trying to be controversial to get clicks.

• Wildcat13
      3:53 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

As “realme” stated, rather eloquently, the Kentucky Kernel should NOT speak for the BBN. As a UK fan since birth, I love Calipari and appreciate all he has done for us. If the time comes that he feels it is time to leave, regardless of the reason, the BBN will give him the respect he deserves and wish him the best.

3. tWildcat
    4:14 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

This guy is having his 15 minutes of fame and we’ll probably never hear of his name again. He wants hits so he knows he needs to cause a stir because that’s the only way he’ll ever get his name known. Do people read the KY Kernel? I honestly have no clue.

4. jeffj
    4:16 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

thank goodness for freedom of speech. you already know my “speech”

5. bbn#1
    4:17 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

I agree most fans would thank him for his time and all of his accomplishments, but i do agree we will have some idiot fans (which all of them do) who say some pretty stupid stuff

6. Biff Tannen
    4:25 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

All sides engaging in self-parody. A college writer adopting a pseudo-intellectual, contrarian position is about as cliche as KSR using it as clickbait and then mocking it.

7. David8577
    4:28 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

Josh, you’re a tool and no one agrees with you. You are a product of a world that only takes notice if you do something stupid or awful. We notice you, congrats.

8. Sara
    4:33 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

I know Josh, I went to UK for journalism. He’s a good guy. What exactly was the point of putting this out there? He wrote an article, but I don’t think he was speaking for all of Big Blue Nation. Don’t call a guy out when he’s writing for a student news paper.

• JohnV
      7:44 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

But… Why not? Gotta learn accountability at some age, right?

9. Eyebleedblue
    4:36 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

The selfie generation is getting writers at the Kernel now. Yay. The Kernel is full of liberal arts majors who know little about sports, less about politics and even less about life. But it is was a time filler between classes before smartphones and social media.

• Jomani
      4:54 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

Oh please remind us of how great your generation is. I personally long for the days of old. I can’t stand this new generation. Can you believe they have the audacity to be the most educated group in US history? They even go as far as to support tolerance and equal rights for gays. A lot of them are even trying to dispel racism. Bring me back the good ole days. Moron

10. FurdTurgason
    4:56 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

Huff would be wise to leave UK

11. JKyle
    5:02 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

Kentucky basketball players have hopes of going on to the NBA, Joshua Huff has his hopes on being the next Pat Forde.

12. Wildblueyoner
    5:48 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

Huff’s article is sooooooo Jerry Tiptonesk.

• JohnV
      7:45 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

-esque

• JohnV
      7:46 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

also… yonder.

• Jerry Tipton
      9:15 am July 4, 2015 Permalink

JohnV, Chief of the Grammar Police: How do you know he intended yonder and not boner?

13. clancyhat
    5:59 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

what a maroon ( Bugs Bunny voice )

14. Tom Blevins
    6:26 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

I think it’s time for Joshua Huff to leave the Kentucky Kernel, or at least write about something other than sports.

15. CatsPaw
    6:56 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

I hope he never leaves. Every place he leaves ends up getting close to the death penalty. May as well just stay 10 more years. Don’t want to deal with death penalty level sanctions twice in my life time.

16. Mitch
    10:00 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

Why don’t we just let him do what he set out to do. Make UK better & retire a successful coach. Hey Big Red Truck!

What is wrong with that?

17. Dale H
    11:46 pm July 3, 2015 Permalink

I am a ky Colonel and have been for many years. I am ashamed of stupid Huff. Hire a
    professional writer or kick his butt off here.

18. kentuckyrld
    1:05 am July 4, 2015 Permalink

The Kentucky Kernel article is obviously bogus but, then again, so is the response we see above. Coach Smith was the what future generations will refer to as the “definition” of failure, both on and off the court.He was lazy in his recruiting and failed to change his style to fit his talent. He one a championship in spite of and not because of his coaching. He didn’t even have the integrity or the decency to say goodbye to his players when he ran out on his contract.

19. herman s taylor
    10:15 pm July 4, 2015 Permalink

Love my cats.what else can l say.