KSR’s Eye on the Cats’ Sneakers

UK Athletics

Michael Jordan’s greatness did many things for the game of basketball, but his legacy might actually be more lasting elsewhere.  The Sneakerhead Subculture spawned by Air Jordans is something I don’t understand, but a very good friend of mine does.  Here’s a look at what the Wildcats have been wearing so far.  Some may think, “They’re just shoes,” these Cats have assembled quite the rare collection.

Isaiah Briscoe’s Military Blue Jordan Retro IV’s

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

They look a little “Carolina-y” but you can’t be mad since that blue is technically “military blue” (whatever that means).  Regardless, I’ve always been a big fan of the IV’s, but they don’t look like the most basketball-savvy shoe.

Dominique Hawkins’ UK Away LeBron Soldier 8

The UK Home LeBron Soldier 8’s by Marcus Lee

Tyler Ulis’ UK Blue Jordan XI’s

(UK Athletics)

UK Athletics

They’re rare like Mr. Clean with hair.  These custom kicks came from the same guy that made Calipari’s Hall of Fame sneakers.  Unfortunately they don’t fit into my price range or I’d find a pair to fit on my feet.  If you don’t agree, take a closer look.

IMG_1737

There’s a lot more to look at after the jump.

Alex Poythess is in the Navy Blue LeBron 7’s.  The other white jersey behind him is Jamal Murray, rocking Columbia Jordan Retro XI’s (even though it’s hard to tell).

Against Illinois State Poythress wore a custom pair of Kobe 9 High’s.  Skal had the UK Home Nike Hyperchase and Isaiah Briscoe rocked a pair of white/silver CPIII VIII’s.

A closer look at Briscoe’s clean kicks.

UK Athletics

UK Athletics

Charles Matthews donned the UK Home 2014 Nike Hyperdunks while Derek Willis rocked the UK Away Nike Hyperchase.

Article written by Nick Roush

"Look upon the doughnut, and not upon the hole." @RoushKSR

20 Comments for KSR’s Eye on the Cats’ Sneakers

1. Catsby80
    1:05 pm December 2, 2015 Permalink

The Space Jam Jordans (the one’s Tyler Ulis wears for those who don’t know) are by far and away the greatest basketball shoes to hit the hardwood. That is the first time I have seen them in royal blue and white, and my oh my… They are clean. Would love to own a pair of those.

• Twick39
      1:08 pm December 2, 2015 Permalink

Space jam jordans are black on black with a clear bottom and a blue jumpman. The shoe it’s self are the 11’s

• Blue_Cat75
      1:37 pm December 2, 2015 Permalink

• Catsby80
      2:58 pm December 2, 2015 Permalink

I just meant the model. The Jordan 11’s are often referred to as the Space Jams. My fault.

• bcritc01
      3:51 pm December 2, 2015 Permalink

The retro 11 model is referred to as space jams by people who don’t know what they’re talking about. Good try on spreading knowledge that’s incorrect. The base pair for these were 2001 concord retro 11s and the blue patent leather and jump man are custom done, hence why you’ve never seen them.

2. Twick39
    1:06 pm December 2, 2015 Permalink

Love these posts, keep em coming. Much better than that crap Jonathan miller puts up. He is the KY Joe of this website

3. HeshimuMeansWarrior
    1:17 pm December 2, 2015 Permalink

Unnece’s’sary apo’strophe’s are the be’st.

4. Breaking news: Mizzou just hired the Michigan D coordinator who apparently was Muschamp’s D coordinator at UF.

5. Brutal Hustler
    1:58 pm December 2, 2015 Permalink

Remember last season or season before last when Calipari talked about the point system, where players got “points” for practicing hard and all that, and if a player got X amount of points, they earned their jersey or whatever it was? I wonder if that applies to getting cooler shoes too. If it does, then Mychal Mulder is probably wearing Nike Air Monarchs…

6. nybrasky
    2:12 pm December 2, 2015 Permalink

I personally don’t care about shoes, but I find these posts interesting.

I’m assuming these shoes are all (or at least most) through UK? Is there a limit on what UK can get from Nike for players for the year or anything? I’d guess that’s something the NCAA at least tries to limit in terms of perks and how they can differ from school to school, but don’t know. If guys get shoes through UK do they have to return them? Just curious.

• Nick Roush
      2:31 pm December 2, 2015 Permalink

The shoes that say “UK home” or “UK away” like the Nike “Hyper” series and the LeBrons are all issued by UK. Once they’re given to them, it’s theirs to do with as they please (some don’t like the way they feel and will just give them away). I highly doubt the NCAA regulates how much swag they receive.

But the J’s are a whole ‘nother story. I’m assuming they buy them on their own, but they’re permitted to wear them because they’re a division of Nike.

• nybrasky
      7:05 pm December 2, 2015 Permalink

Interesting. I know the NCAA, at least in other sports, used to regulate “equipment” given to athletes and cleats were equipment. You could buy your used cleats at a discounted “used” price if you wanted to keep them after your playing time, otherwise they had to be returned. No clue if this is still the case.

Since basketball shoes, unlike cleats, have a use outside of just playing the game I wondered if it was regulated.

7. I just hope Murray isn’t still wearing those red and black shoes. I forgot to look for that the last couple games or so. Hopefully someone’s educated him that you don’t wear those colors with UK blue!

I’m a Cincy Reds fan (although not as into baseball as UK basketball & football), but Josh Whatever should’ve been wearing a UK hat when he was at Rupp. Wear Reds gear for Reds games, not in Rupp.

• @BallBlog_Chad
      3:19 pm December 2, 2015 Permalink

Murray did stop wearing the black and red or pink or whatever shoes … some pictures made them look pink so maybe that was an October thing … you can see his shoes in the pictures in this post

8. SMTCAT
    3:15 pm December 2, 2015 Permalink

Nick- You really think that the players are paying for their Jordans? All the equipment manager has to do is ask their Nike rep for any shoe they make and it is there within days.

• WAC3036
      5:54 pm December 2, 2015 Permalink

I can personally say that all of the basketball players pay for their Jordan’s. Because Kentucky is not a Jordan brand school they do not get Jordan’s for free. The only Jordan they have received for free was the Just Don Jordan 2 that was worn by Booker and Ulis last year… The amount of incorrect info in these comments is mind blowing. Ulis’s Concords are the 2011 pair not 2001.

9. kenny
    8:11 pm December 2, 2015 Permalink

I didn’t know they got those just done for free, that’s a nice gift. I always see UK players in heat in sneaker groups I’m in.

10. kenny