Kentucky associate head coach Kenny Payne is being considered by the New York Knicks for one of its assistant coach openings under new head coach Tom Thibodeau.

Sources tell KSR that while the Knicks have not yet officially contacted Payne, the franchise is considering the longtime Kentucky assistant as an option to join Thibodeau’s staff.

Outside of his success developing elite big men, sources tell KSR that the Knicks are intrigued with Payne’s ability to recruit former Kentucky stars such as Karl-Anthony Towns and Devin Booker to New York when they become free agents in the future.

On Friday, Stephen Bondy of the New York Daily News first reported Payne as an option for the Knicks, but only if the franchise hired 10-time NBA All-Star Jason Kidd as its head coach. The same report also mentioned former UK assistant Rod Strickland and former Knicks coach Mike Woodson as other options to join Kidd’s staff in New York.

Instead, the franchise is finalizing a five-year deal with Thibodeau, who previously coached the Chicago Bulls and the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Article written by Jack Pilgrim

Follow me on Twitter: @JackPilgrimKSR

14 Comments for KSR Sources: Kenny Payne being considered for Knicks assistant coaching position

1. UKinIN
    10:40 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

Seems like Thibodeau wears on his players quickly. Not sure if that’s on him or the players but if I’m Payne that’s a concern.

2. Brutal Hustler
    10:55 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

Wow what a bad decision by the Knicks. The Knicks, if you’re reading this, Kenny Payne is actually a very bad coach and a worse person. Yeah, you’d better just let him stay being an assistant coach here. Same thing goes for Joel Justus and Tony Barbee. They all are actually bad and should be left alone

• Condo1122
      11:35 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

Yep, the worst

• friendsofcoal
      1:03 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Actually Barbee is a awesome assistant but yes, I agree that the others suck. Antigua sucks as well.

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      1:54 pm July 27, 2020 Permalink

Lol. Well played you guys. Well played. *slow clap*

3. KyZoneBlitz
    11:21 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

Man I hope he doesnt go. Dont really see the appeal. He probably makes more now than he would with the Knicks.When Orlando Antigua left, I was a little worried but thought wed be good as long as KP stayed. If there was a waybto get Antigua back and keep Payne, I think we’d rise back to the top of the recruiting ranks again pulling in more of the 1 through 5 instead of 4 through 20. I love Barbee and Justus but we CANNOT lose Payne, not yet. Hoping Cal can pull Antigua back in at least.

4. michaelb
    11:21 pm July 26, 2020 Permalink

Would normally say ‘no chance’. But it’s fn 2020

• ClutchCargo
      9:12 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Yep.

Me: “How could this year possibly suck any worse than it already does??”
      2020: “Hold my beer.”

5. bbn606
    9:18 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

I’m debating in my mind and that is always scary but I think that job would be a step down.

6. millertim
    10:07 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

Hopefully he will turn this down— absolutely little actual coacj=hing occurs at this level. He’ll be working with prima donnas who have entourages that they listen to more. An assistant coach in the NBA today, is more of a time management specialist and practice manager. Stay at the collegiate level, where actual teaching and coaching skills are appreciated and impactful…

7. chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
    10:23 am July 27, 2020 Permalink

You guys, don’t forget that sometimes people just want a new challenge, and see the bright lights of the NBA and a possible future head coaching job in the league. Hopefully, though, KP is more of the type that like Lexington and doesn’t want to live in the crime infested craphole that Deblasio has let NYC become again.

• ThatsAShame
      1:12 pm July 27, 2020 Permalink

Wow. A bit harsh. I live in Brooklyn and I wouldn’t consider it “crime infested crap hole”. Sure it smells bad on trash day pick up. Maybe you were visiting on trash day?

• chris gettelfinger is not walking through that door
      1:57 pm July 27, 2020 Permalink

I gotcha. That’s certainly not an indictment of everyone who lives there. But crime is skyrocketing there as I understand it, as it is in every city where their mayors are telling police to stand down.

BTW, Deblasio has ALWAYS been anti-police. I remember the officers who turned their backs on him a couple years ago because of it:

8. IrishCat
    1:01 pm July 27, 2020 Permalink

I like Thibs as a coach, but his pairing w/ the Knicks looks like just the latest dumpster fire for that franchise.